IGNORED

Antipodes DX3 vs DX2

Hello to everyone , fairly a newb to the computer audio works but not a Newb in audiophile world . Can someone explain to e the exact difference between the DX3 and the DX2 , i Know about the faster chip in the V3 , but is it true that the DX3 has two SSD drives wit one dedicated only to media storage ? Other differences ? upgrades ? 
I am tempted to go with Antipodes vs the Innuos for some strange reason despite the fact that this will be my first venture into Server/ renderer world !! Your comments are greatly appreciated , and if anyone is selling a DX3 please let me know . Thanks to all and happy listening . Max

The DX3 is a few generations old.  Why this model?  I just switched from Innuos to Antipodes and am very pleased.  But I don't know how Antipode's models from 2015 compare to current models.

Here are some details about the DX3.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hello  Kenny, Thank you for chiming in ... I guess I am trying to ease myself into the Computer audio instead of diving head first so I thought the getting into what used to be the Flagship of Antipodes might be a good way . I also like the notion that  the DX3 has two drives with one dedicated for the OS ad one for storage .. last ..  is the capacity to rip my CD collection to one unit instead of an external DVD drive, cables and so on .. I was also curious about the Zenith MK3 but it seems from reading comments that the Antipodes is more stable ? Robust ?..

The Zenith Mk3 is a great-sounding server.  It’s hard to say how an older flagship will compare to this. This area has shown a lot of progress as it’s really still just in the early phases.  One WBF it was suggested that you look for a used CX/EX instead and I really like that idea.  Having said that I’m not sure you could go wrong with a DX3 as it would have more likely depreciated further than a more current model, so you won’t lose as much if you decide to sell it in a few years.  Which DAC do you own?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Like I said Kenny , I am playing catchup with the rapidly evolving computer audio world . Beside budget consideration the other objective to finding a DX3 is having the onboard drive to rip my CDs .. I would tend to think that  ripping on an onboard drive would be better given the elimination of additional cables and connections . I am also at a loss wether any DVD drive can do just fine or what drive to use to rip to the CX. It does seem that even though the DX3 used to be the flagship , it is bettered by the CX . To answer your question regarding DACs , my last Day was the Jadis JS1 tube DAC fed by the Wadia 270 , with a Meridian 518 between the two !!! Yes ( 16/44 ) I have been away fro the audio scene for a while LOL . I am planning first to rip my CD collection and prepare my storage drive , I am leaning toward one of the R2R DACs, ( Denafrips Terminator, or Holo Audio May ) using USB but would love to be able to take advantage of the I2s connection , seemingly not possible on the Antipodes to output I2s without adding a reclocker .. Regards, Max

52 minutes ago, maxwerks said:

I have been away fro the audio scene for a while LOL

Yes you have.  But my oh my things have improved tremendously while you were away.  You are in for a treat as you begin this discovery.

I rip all my CDs using a Mac and the application dbPoweramp.  This is really tough to beat as it it verifies the ripped files against an online database.  Obviously having a ripper built into a music server is more convenient as there is no need to copy files over.  But as you were looking to first rip your CD collection, this would be a great way to start.  

The two R2R DACs you mentioned are excellent.  The reason I asked the question was to determine whether there's be any benefit in upscaling your music.  If yes, then that should rule out Innuos as they don't support HQPlayer.  I couldn't tell you though whether R2R DACs gain any benefit from scaling.  

It should be noted that USB is what Antipodes aims to get right. For i2s one of the Denafrips DDCs (Iris or Gaia) will get you to I2s as you likely already know.  I think you'd be in the same boat with any music server as these are computers after all and USB is built right into them.  

Thanks Kenny , for your valuable comments and advise . I decided to go for the Antipodes CX as a start , and possibly add the EX once I finish Ripping and getting all ready . Kenny I think I read somewhere that you favored the Etherregen , hopefully I am correct . Although at this point my focus will be on getting a decent drive and prepare to rip all the CDs I have ..my question , is the Apple External Superdrive sufficient for the best quality ripping to the SSD using the dbpoweramp software ? I am assuming that the Automatic ripping triggered via the software won't be available unless I purchase the P1 as a Ripper/ drive ( hopefully this is only a matter of convenience , and that the dbpoweramp would do just as good of a job ) . Another question , should I be concerned about the USB cable from drive to the SSD / CX at this time or would the Apple Cable do ?