IGNORED

Kings of Leon new album - the first non-fungible token album ever out today.

Read it for yourself:

Kings of Leon Will Be the First Band to Release an Album as an NFT

Are we witnessing the birth of crypto art?

"NFT art products – which operate as a type of digital asset or token – have in some instances sold for over $US3.5 ($4) million a piece, contributing to a crypto art market that is currently valued at over $US100 ($127) million.":

'Nyan Cat' flying Pop-Tart meme sells for nearly $600,000 as one-of-a-kind crypto art

Definitely a good price for a cat.. errr.. crypto cat.

Also definitely new possibilities for the music makers.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:24 PM, fas42 said:

the usual soft limitin

Mildly said. For me DR5 is usually hard to tolerate.

59 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Always critical of your posts, this one I can’t let go.

Also curious.

16 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It can be restored - won't be 100% perfect, but close enough that you won't pick it ... especially for rock/pop 🙂. The one I was most motivated to work on, many years ago, was a theme song for a local TV show; it was close to unlistenable, yes!, on a previous setup - but decompressing turned it back into a normal, rocky song - a vast improvement.

I used Audacity, but it has no magic button to do it either - a plug-in, and one has to play with the parameters to nail the right numbers - one's ears tell me if one is the right territory.

Here's the waveform that tells the story,

Bandit01.thumb.JPG.209c6fad73ae76b416beea7fc73b202a.JPG

This is The Bandit, DL'ed from the Kings of Leon channel.

First version is the original, solidly hitting the bumpstops all the way through.

Second is the same, attentuated by 7dB

Third is the 2nd waveform, processed by the decompression plug-in - note how at the beginning of the song, that the soft intro hasn't been touched. Listening to them, the 2nd and 3rd, the volume sounds roughly the same - which the above certainly doesn't imply - but the last one is way superior in the quality of the backing sounds.

Could you post the 2 (no 1 and 3) samples?

In general - I have always thought - if the parameters of compression were known, it should be possible to practically perfectly decompress a music file based on that.

A quick comparative listen on my IEMs - the  difference in the dynamics isn't that huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy... the world is crazy.

"On 11 March, one of the art world’s signature can-you-believe-it moments made global headlines: a digital-only artwork sold for more than $69m, the third highest price ever paid for an artwork at auction. It was a digital collage by the artist Mike Winkelmann, known as Beeple, who until October had never sold a print for more than $100."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/17/cryptocurrency--at-digital-only-artwork-nfts-collecting

Here is the $USD 69,346,250 work of art.

2021_NYR_20447_0001_001(beeple_everydays_the_first_5000_days034733).jpg?mode=max

This collage was the first purely digital artwork (NFT) ever offered at Christie’s:

https://www.christies.com/features/Monumental-collage-by-Beeple-is-first-purely-digital-artwork-NFT-to-come-to-auction-11510-7.aspx?sc_lang=en&lid=1

Holy.. think I will start creating some NFT art today.. 

Only the question how to make Christie's sell it will remain x-D

Edit: just found the artist's comment on that:

1615564123328?e=1621468800&v=beta&t=v5bGxhypcB_lCccpNHGopy9E2Oda-O_zla5VEmWzezs

Two reflections after I've chilled out a little.

1. This is exactly how I've always imagined (look up) someone who just sold a jpg collage for $70m.

2. I guess the oldschool non-NFT art which often sells for $100-300m may be underpriced..

18 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Well then this is really sick

Sick it is, indeed. I wonder if the times will come when bands in addition to a normal, sold widely versions of their albums will add eg 5 or 10 special NFT versions sold by Sotheby's..