Jump to content
IGNORED

Kings of Leon new album - the first non-fungible token album ever out today.


Recommended Posts

Read it for yourself:

 

Kings of Leon Will Be the First Band to Release an Album as an NFT

 

Are we witnessing the birth of crypto art?

 

"NFT art products – which operate as a type of digital asset or token – have in some instances sold for over $US3.5 ($4) million a piece, contributing to a crypto art market that is currently valued at over $US100 ($127) million.":

 

'Nyan Cat' flying Pop-Tart meme sells for nearly $600,000 as one-of-a-kind crypto art

 

Definitely a good price for a cat.. errr.. crypto cat.

Also definitely new possibilities for the music makers.

 

Sometimes measurable things can't be measured. In such situation one must use a chicken to measure them.

 

Link to comment

Also out of curiosity 😉, I checked one of the tracks,, The Bandit - yep, the usual soft limiting; Audacity shows solid red, meaning clipping, throughout - applied my usual decompression method to restore the waveform, which gives nearly 8dB increase of dynamics, in this case. Playing the rescued alongside the original, huge improvement - the instruments which have all their dynamics squashed, come back to life; the toy sound quality they have in the 'proper' version is reversed.

 

If one bought one of these "modern" albums, the first thing one would do is recover a decent waveform, and play those from then on ... throw the starting point, mangled effort into the bin.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Sometimes measurable things aren't measured ... in the universe, ego is a mighty power ... 

 

Over and out.

 

Link to comment
23 hours ago, fas42 said:

Also out of curiosity 😉, I checked one of the tracks,, The Bandit - yep, the usual soft limiting; Audacity shows solid red, meaning clipping, throughout - applied my usual decompression method to restore the waveform, which gives nearly 8dB increase of dynamics, in this case. Playing the rescued alongside the original, huge improvement - the instruments which have all their dynamics squashed, come back to life; the toy sound quality they have in the 'proper' version is reversed.

 

If one bought one of these "modern" albums, the first thing one would do is recover a decent waveform, and play those from then on ... throw the starting point, mangled effort into the bin.

I thought that clipping once recorded cannot be restored, the recording is wrecked forever, like mp3. 
You’re not just using volume control in Audacity? There’s no such magic DR restoration in Sound Forge that works.

Always critical of your posts, this one I can’t let go.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Link to comment
1 hour ago, One and a half said:

I thought that clipping once recorded cannot be restored, the recording is wrecked forever, like mp3. 
You’re not just using volume control in Audacity? There’s no such magic DR restoration in Sound Forge that works.

Always critical of your posts, this one I can’t let go.

 

It can be restored - won't be 100% perfect, but close enough that you won't pick it ... especially for rock/pop 🙂. The one I was most motivated to work on, many years ago, was a theme song for a local TV show; it was close to unlistenable, yes!, on a previous setup - but decompressing turned it back into a normal, rocky song - a vast improvement.

 

I used Audacity, but it has no magic button to do it either - a plug-in, and one has to play with the parameters to nail the right numbers - one's ears tell me if one is the right territory.

 

Here's the waveform that tells the story,

 

Bandit01.thumb.JPG.209c6fad73ae76b416beea7fc73b202a.JPG

 

This is The Bandit, DL'ed from the Kings of Leon channel.

 

First version is the original, solidly hitting the bumpstops all the way through.

 

Second is the same, attentuated by 7dB

 

Third is the 2nd waveform, processed by the decompression plug-in - note how at the beginning of the song, that the soft intro hasn't been touched. Listening to them, the 2nd and 3rd, the volume sounds roughly the same - which the above certainly doesn't imply - but the last one is way superior in the quality of the backing sounds.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Sometimes measurable things aren't measured ... in the universe, ego is a mighty power ... 

 

Over and out.

 

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, fas42 said:

 

It can be restored - won't be 100% perfect, but close enough that you won't pick it ... especially for rock/pop 🙂. The one I was most motivated to work on, many years ago, was a theme song for a local TV show; it was close to unlistenable, yes!, on a previous setup - but decompressing turned it back into a normal, rocky song - a vast improvement.

 

I used Audacity, but it has no magic button to do it either - a plug-in, and one has to play with the parameters to nail the right numbers - one's ears tell me if one is the right territory.

 

Here's the waveform that tells the story,

 

Bandit01.thumb.JPG.209c6fad73ae76b416beea7fc73b202a.JPG

 

This is The Bandit, DL'ed from the Kings of Leon channel.

 

First version is the original, solidly hitting the bumpstops all the way through.

 

Second is the same, attentuated by 7dB

 

Third is the 2nd waveform, processed by the decompression plug-in - note how at the beginning of the song, that the soft intro hasn't been touched. Listening to them, the 2nd and 3rd, the volume sounds roughly the same - which the above certainly doesn't imply - but the last one is way superior in the quality of the backing sounds.

 

Could you post the 2 (no 1 and 3) samples?

 

Sometimes measurable things can't be measured. In such situation one must use a chicken to measure them.

 

Link to comment

What I could do is post 30 sec snippets, from the start of the track, of all 3 - a good way to get the balance of the volumes right. Please note, I only spent about 5 minutes doing this, and the parameters almost certainly could be refined more, with more focus on the job.

 

Somewhat messy morning here, I'll get that done a bit later today, okay?

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Sometimes measurable things aren't measured ... in the universe, ego is a mighty power ... 

 

Over and out.

 

Link to comment
On 3/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, fas42 said:

Also out of curiosity 😉, I checked one of the tracks,, The Bandit - yep, the usual soft limiting; Audacity shows solid red, meaning clipping, throughout - applied my usual decompression method to restore the waveform, which gives nearly 8dB increase of dynamics, in this case. Playing the rescued alongside the original, huge improvement - the instruments which have all their dynamics squashed, come back to life; the toy sound quality they have in the 'proper' version is reversed.

 

If one bought one of these "modern" albums, the first thing one would do is recover a decent waveform, and play those from then on ... throw the starting point, mangled effort into the bin.

 

I wish record labels would do whatever you did to make some modern recordings listenable!

- Mark

 

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

 

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Link to comment

Ahh, what the heck ... 🙃

 

Not from the start, clipped off about 9 secs of intro twiddling ...

 

Original:

 

Kings Of Leon - The Bandit, part (orig).wav

 

As above, just adjusted gain, down by 7dB:

 

Kings Of Leon - The Bandit, part (att.7dB).wav

 

After mulching by decompression process:

 

Kings Of Leon - The Bandit, part (decomp).wav

 

Note that looking at the tracks, that it's clear that the waveform squashing is not undone properly, in places  - but the idea in the first instance is to improve the listenability. Let me know what you think, 😉.

 

 

36 minutes ago, MarkS said:

 

I wish record labels would do whatever you did to make some modern recordings listenable!

 

Yes, they would just "unmaster" - and call it a remaster ... I've have thought of trying to turn this exercise into something more; but nothing has motivated me enough, so far ...

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Sometimes measurable things aren't measured ... in the universe, ego is a mighty power ... 

 

Over and out.

 

Link to comment

In general - I have always thought - if the parameters of compression were known, it should be possible to practically perfectly decompress a music file based on that.

 

A quick comparative listen on my IEMs - the  difference in the dynamics isn't that huge.

 

Sometimes measurable things can't be measured. In such situation one must use a chicken to measure them.

 

Link to comment
Just now, sphinxsix said:

In general - I have always thought - if the parameters of compression were known, it should be possible to practically perfectly decompress a music file based on that.

 

A quick comparative listen on my IEMs - the  difference in the dynamics isn't that huge.

 

 

These days, every track in a mix has some processing - and then the final mix has some processing. In the first instance, you undo some of what was done in the final pass - trying to undo individual instruments is much harder; because you have to separate all the instruments first - this is still very hard ... but they're working on it, 😀.

 

The vocals are untouched in what I posted; it's all about the backing instruments - listen to the quality, and space around them; when the drums come in - to my ears, the original sounds like it's coming from an old transistor radio.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Sometimes measurable things aren't measured ... in the universe, ego is a mighty power ... 

 

Over and out.

 

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

In general - I have always thought - if the parameters of compression were known, it should be possible to practically perfectly decompress a music file based on that.

 

 

In practice this could be hard to guarantee - I did some exercises years ago where I took a simple waveform, compressed it using a sophisticated audio compression plug-in; and then tried to reverse it ... if the parameters didn't start to get fancy then it was possible to recover the original - but once you introduced options like lookahead, etc; it became less capable.

 

Which is not to say, that it couldn't be done - deep learning algorithms could be used to unpick what's happened, and make smart choices as to how to tackle the reversing ... I suspect there will be major work done down the track, where all the messed up recordings of the last couple of decades will be 'fixed' - whether the artists, and recording companies like it, or not.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Sometimes measurable things aren't measured ... in the universe, ego is a mighty power ... 

 

Over and out.

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, fas42 said:

 

It can be restored - won't be 100% perfect, but close enough that you won't pick it ... especially for rock/pop 🙂. The one I was most motivated to work on, many years ago, was a theme song for a local TV show; it was close to unlistenable, yes!, on a previous setup - but decompressing turned it back into a normal, rocky song - a vast improvement.

 

I used Audacity, but it has no magic button to do it either - a plug-in, and one has to play with the parameters to nail the right numbers - one's ears tell me if one is the right territory.

 

Here's the waveform that tells the story,

 

Bandit01.thumb.JPG.209c6fad73ae76b416beea7fc73b202a.JPG

 

This is The Bandit, DL'ed from the Kings of Leon channel.

 

First version is the original, solidly hitting the bumpstops all the way through.

 

Second is the same, attentuated by 7dB

 

Third is the 2nd waveform, processed by the decompression plug-in - note how at the beginning of the song, that the soft intro hasn't been touched. Listening to them, the 2nd and 3rd, the volume sounds roughly the same - which the above certainly doesn't imply - but the last one is way superior in the quality of the backing sounds.

Wait what? You're always claiming (wrongly) that you can tweak the rig to make any recording sound good? 

Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Wait what? You're always claiming (wrongly) that you can tweak the rig to make any recording sound good? 

 

If you master an album to deliberately make it unlistenable 😀, then it gets much, much harder to get to make the rig play it so that the experience is fully, umm, pleasurable ... you can make the system deliver the sound so that it's not distorting it significantly - but it's hard work to listen to ... give you an example: you go to a live gig; they have an excellent PA - but they wind up the dynamic compression on the mix, to near the max  - and you stand 10 feet in front of these speakers, as they play... how long are you gonna say, I'm lovin' this? 🤪 Umm, that's what listening to a Foo Fighter's album, say, is like ...

 

I'm interested in when they wanted to capture the music to be listened to; rather than it be a lifestyle exercise - that is, before 2000 or so ... if I really wanted to listen more closely to much of the recent stuff, I would need to fix it first - as described in the above posts...

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Sometimes measurable things aren't measured ... in the universe, ego is a mighty power ... 

 

Over and out.

 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy... the world is crazy.

 

"On 11 March, one of the art world’s signature can-you-believe-it moments made global headlines: a digital-only artwork sold for more than $69m, the third highest price ever paid for an artwork at auction. It was a digital collage by the artist Mike Winkelmann, known as Beeple, who until October had never sold a print for more than $100."

 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/17/cryptocurrency--at-digital-only-artwork-nfts-collecting

 

Here is the $USD 69,346,250 work of art.

 

2021_NYR_20447_0001_001(beeple_everydays_the_first_5000_days034733).jpg?mode=max

 

This collage was the first purely digital artwork (NFT) ever offered at Christie’s:

https://www.christies.com/features/Monumental-collage-by-Beeple-is-first-purely-digital-artwork-NFT-to-come-to-auction-11510-7.aspx?sc_lang=en&lid=1

 

Holy.. think I will start creating some NFT art today.. 

Only the question how to make Christie's sell it will remain x-D

 

Edit: just found the artist's comment on that:

1615564123328?e=1621468800&v=beta&t=v5bGxhypcB_lCccpNHGopy9E2Oda-O_zla5VEmWzezs

 

Sometimes measurable things can't be measured. In such situation one must use a chicken to measure them.

 

Link to comment

Well then this is really sick

 

 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Link to comment
18 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Well then this is really sick

 

 

 

Sick it is, indeed. I wonder if the times will come when bands in addition to a normal, sold widely versions of their albums will add eg 5 or 10 special NFT versions sold by Sotheby's..

 

Sometimes measurable things can't be measured. In such situation one must use a chicken to measure them.

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, RickyV said:

Well then this is really sick

 

What a crock this whole NFT thing is. It has nothing to do with enjoyment of the art, but rather the exclusive ownership of it. As digital copies are identical, there is no analogy to ownership of an original painting as compared to a reproduction of it.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...