IGNORED

Unpopular opinion... I don't think Eric Clapton is very great.

Just now, Samuel T Cogley said:

Does anyone really dispute the apex of Clapton's success was the "MTV Unplugged / Riding With The King" era?  He might have started out as beloved by hippies everywhere, but he ended up a top earning pop star.

I think that's the sad beginning of a sad end to a mediocre career

No electron left behind.

Clapton in Cream is fine; otherwise, not interested. Knopfler - anything he does on the guitar, I can always listen to it; Hendrix, I have his Blues album - this is truly, truly fabulous stuff; it doesn't get better than this, IMO 😉.

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:
9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Does anyone really dispute the apex of Clapton's success was the "MTV Unplugged / Riding With The King" era?  He might have started out as beloved by hippies everywhere, but he ended up a top earning pop star.

I think he might have been even more popular in the late 70's, just check out:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/eric-clapton-mn0000187478/discography

But of course he became divine much earlier.

And richer - probably in the Unplugged era.

Just now, sphinxsix said:

I think he might have been even more popular in the late 70's, just check out:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/eric-clapton-mn0000187478/discography

But of course he became divine much earlier.

I'm very familiar with Clapton's 70s output.  Clapton's 70s pop output speaks for itself.  That's not the output of a pop star.  That's AOR tracks trying to cross over to pop, with middling success. 

You know what's ironic - I just answered an email from a startup publisher seeking to do a book of my Nirvana photos (I get this quite often). Guess what the only other book he's done - Clapton Live History!

I'm actually already committed with a local fine arts publisher, but even if I wasn't it would be a resolute but polite no. I'm pretty picky about the company I keep... (obviously!) 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

10 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I actually don't use this term, wasn't most of 70's rock album oriented?

There were pop stations (mostly AM) and AOR stations (mostly FM) in the 70s.  Using Yes' Roundabout as an example, if you heard that song on the radio, you were listening to an AOR station.  That song never really crossed over to pop stations.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

I've seen Clapton live and think he's a helluva guitarist. Absolutely love Van Morrison's music, too. But since the idiocy of the anti-lockdown song, combined with Clapton's drunken racist ravings in public before he kicked alcohol, I don't feel like giving either of them my money from streaming or downloads. I'll be content with the extensive collections of their music I already own if I want to hear something of theirs.

Now as an antidote to such thoughts, here:

I was a bit inaccurate in calling it an anti-lockdown song. It's quite a bit more idiotic than that. It's antimask, calls all COVID information lies, and says the US is being turned into a police state due to anti-COVID measures. Here are the full lyrics:

Stand and deliver
You let them put the fear on you
Stand and deliver
But not a word you heard was true
But if there's nothing you can say
There may be nothing you can do
Do you wanna be a free man
Or do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna be a free man
Or do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna wear these chains
Until you're lying in the grave?
I don't wanna be a pauper
And I don't wanna be a prince
I don't wanna be a pauper
And I don't wanna be a prince
I just wanna do my job
Playing the blues for friends
Magna Carta, Bill of Rights
The constitution, what's it worth?
You know they're gonna grind us down, ah
Until it really hurts
Is this a sovereign nation
Or just a police state?
You better look out, people
Before it gets too late
You wanna be your own driver
Or keep on flogging a dead horse?
You wanna be your own driver
Or keep on flogging a dead horse?
Do you wanna make it better
Or do you wanna make it worse?
Stand and deliver
You let them put the fear on you
Slow down the river
But not a word of it was true
If there's nothing you can say
There may be nothing you can do
Stand and deliver
Stand and deliver
Dick Turpin wore a mask too

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Let me know when they pass Porsche for Le Mans victories...  ;-)

Oh, you mean that curiosity of an endurance race? The commonly acknowledged apex of motor racing is of course F1.

😇

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Fight #3, Ferrari's suck!

;-)

I will have to annotate this. They suck to own but are wonderful to drive.  AND if I may use a Yogi Berraism, they are the cheapest cars to own assuming you can afford one. Ferraris are literally a contradiction of all things. 

5 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

I will have to annotate this. They suck to own but are wonderful to drive.  AND if I may use a Yogi Berraism, they are the cheapest cars to own assuming you can afford one. Ferraris are literally a contradiction of all things. 

How is that even possible?

No electron left behind.

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

I was a bit inaccurate in calling it an anti-lockdown song. It's quite a bit more idiotic than that. It's antimask, calls all COVID information lies, and says the US is being turned into a police state due to anti-COVID measures. Here are the full lyrics:

He should ask some of the people whisked off the streets in seattle and portland by unnamed and masked people acting as law enforcement of some type only to be taken to unknown and undisclosed locations

No electron left behind.

Just now, AudioDoctor said:

How is that even possible?

Well, my experience was with a Spyder 355. Absurd car. different buttons to raise and lower windows, the gate shifter perfect for a bird to shit on and impossible to clean once it happens, the battery which ALWAYS needs trickle charging is only accessible by literally ripping the car apart and without the trickle charger you can count on the electric dying.

Many other pains of owning. BUT when it started and when you drove it, boy was it fun. Now as fun as others? There lies the question and most Ferrari owners never drive them and just admire them under a plastic bubble and polish them more than they drive them. Personally I will never buy a car unless I am going to drive the hell out of it just as I with the Spyder

As to being the cheapest? Well I paid 123K for mine before they were as scarce as they are now, had it for almost 2 years put over 15,000 miles on it finally got so fed up after the thing wouldn't start AGAIN that I literally kicked the door (little dent) moved it out to my driveway and called the dealer and told them to take it and give me whatever she was worth. They gave me 118K. I have literally never owned another car that cost me ONLY 5K to drive for 2 years. And those numbers are actually better now although most people never put more than 2K worth of miles. 

1 hour ago, Priaptor said:

Well, my experience was with a Spyder 355. Absurd car. different buttons to raise and lower windows, the gate shifter perfect for a bird to shit on and impossible to clean once it happens, the battery which ALWAYS needs trickle charging is only accessible by literally ripping the car apart and without the trickle charger you can count on the electric dying.

Many other pains of owning. BUT when it started and when you drove it, boy was it fun. Now as fun as others? There lies the question and most Ferrari owners never drive them and just admire them under a plastic bubble and polish them more than they drive them. Personally I will never buy a car unless I am going to drive the hell out of it just as I with the Spyder

As to being the cheapest? Well I paid 123K for mine before they were as scarce as they are now, had it for almost 2 years put over 15,000 miles on it finally got so fed up after the thing wouldn't start AGAIN that I literally kicked the door (little dent) moved it out to my driveway and called the dealer and told them to take it and give me whatever she was worth. They gave me 118K. I have literally never owned another car that cost me ONLY 5K to drive for 2 years. And those numbers are actually better now although most people never put more than 2K worth of miles. 

I'll admit I have not owned an old Porsche, but the first one i had, a 997.2 generation 911 C4S I drove year round here in MN and it never once failed me. It was the most reliable car I have ever owned.

I don't think Ferraris suck, I am just not interested in owning a new one, and the ones I do want cost tens of millions of dollars.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Oh, you mean that curiosity of an endurance race? The commonly acknowledged apex of motor racing is of course F1.

😇

I am not against F1, it all has its place, however I do think it's pretty neat that I can drive over to my local Porsche dealer and buy a factory built race car that's fully ready to go racing at the absolute highest levels of sports car racing, and Le Mans itself, and it will have some parts commonality to the street version of the GT3 and GT3 RS.

No electron left behind.

29 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I'll admit I have not owned an old Porsche, but the first one i had, a 997.2 generation 911 C4S I drove year round here in MN and it never once failed me. It was the most reliable car I have ever owned.

I don't think Ferraris suck, I am just not interested in owning a new one, and the ones I do want cost tens of millions of dollars.

I get it. Today's Porsche is very reliable. The Porsche's of yesteryear, from the 80s were a hit or miss. Once you got past 3,000 miles you were considered safe as most the horrible problems reared their ugly head before the first oil change. Interestingly those Porsches are now going for a decent buck. 

Hey I will never buy another Ferrari and it was a one timer and I got my rocks off enjoyed it but definitely learned my lesson about them. Today there are requirements to owning them including going to shows, signing waivers regarding sales and all kinds of crap. Sorry even I had the money to spend, I don't like being tethered to anything. To paraphrase DeNiro in Heat never get attached to anything you can't walk away from in 30 seconds. 

20 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

I get it. Today's Porsche is very reliable. The Porsche's of yesteryear, from the 80s were a hit or miss. Once you got past 3,000 miles you were considered safe as most the horrible problems reared their ugly head before the first oil change. Interestingly those Porsches are now going for a decent buck. 

Hey I will never buy another Ferrari and it was a one timer and I got my rocks off enjoyed it but definitely learned my lesson about them. Today there are requirements to owning them including going to shows, signing waivers regarding sales and all kinds of crap. Sorry even I had the money to spend, I don't like being tethered to anything. To paraphrase DeNiro in Heat never get attached to anything you can't walk away from in 30 seconds. 

2 months ago I would have told you that you can have my GT4 when you pry it out of my cold dead hands... but I went and put a deposit down on a 992 GT3 the other day, so I guess I am glad I didn't say that. My absolute lottery dream car is a Singer 911. My Brother has a 1986 911, turbo look only, not a real turbo. Its a blast to drive as well. I think the Gt3 might be my last gasoline powered car, ever, so I plan on having it for a very long time.

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

2 months ago I would have told you that you can have my GT4 when you pry it out of my cold dead hands... but I went and put a deposit down on a 992 GT3 the other day, so I guess I am glad I didn't say that. My absolute lottery dream car is a Singer 911. My Brother has a 1986 911, turbo look only, not a real turbo. Its a blast to drive as well. I think the Gt3 might be my last gasoline powered car, ever, so I plan on having it for a very long time.

AHH funny, I have a deposit on a GT3 as well. To me the best of the Porsches. I am now driving a Cayman GTS as I love the naturally aspirated (mid)engines (as I see you do too). I think IF I take delivery of the GT3 it will be my last sports car but that is what I said about the GTS I just took delivery on. LOL. Congrats.