IGNORED

Unpopular opinion... I don't think Eric Clapton is very great.

Just now, Priaptor said:

Yeah so he said it and people want to paint him "racist" for his comments during a horrible period of his life because snopes verified it and throw away all that preceded and followed it. 

Oh start with the Q bullshit. Great comeback Chris. LMAO. 

If we want to start with anti-Semitic and racist entertainers, reporters, musicians, etc. many many worse than Clapton if the woke care to admit it. 

I know many people who've gone through equally horrible periods in their lives. They never once got on the racist bandwagon. I know it's different for everyone though. 

The cool thing is we all get to decide. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Oh man, what blows my mind is when somebody on the Pearl Jam Facebook or IG page says the band should stick to music and not involve themselves in (liberal) activism (and it happens quite frequently, esp when they interviewed Jill Biden before the election). It's apparent what side of the political divide that person stands on, but how could they have never actually heard the band for what they are? It's not like they ever hid their political stance and liberal identity. Really strange - of course they get pounced upon by the true fans, for good reason. There's always Kid Rock and Nugent there for them though....

Count this as another thing I'll never understand. 

Speaking out is encouraged, unless you have a platform, such as a musician or entertainer. Makes no sense to me. I like to hear what everyone has to say. This makes it easy to either support them, ignore them, or remove them from my library. 

I also like music that sticks it to the man, no matter who the man is. I just like it. I like people freely speaking their minds.

I'm also not a fan of canceling anyone or thing. I like when idiots such as mahmoud ahmadinejad speak at the UN and deny the holocaust. Show how stupid you are on the world stage. Fine with me. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, Priaptor said:

OH now there lies a metric that we can take solace in, people YOU know that had equally horrible periods in their lives. You have no idea just like I have no idea just how horrible places people find themselves in. 

No excuse for his comments BUT I will look at the man in totality rather than judge him superficially like you are for a single comment he made during a horrible period in his life. 

I can quote many more racist, anti-Semitic, misogynist and overall hateful speech from entertainers, newscasters, writers, Hollywooders, etc. who made such comments while straight than you can ever quote Clapton OR for that matter who has been a bigger proponent for the Black entertainer than Clapton. 

If you want metrics, I guess we can look to some actual stats. I was only use my own experience as an illustration. No need to get excited. 

"Not excuse for his comments" says the guy who just gave an excuse?  I only kid, as I believe I understand the just of your comment. It's great you can look at the totality of his public persona. I wish we knew more about him when he was off camera to microphone. 

Not sure where you're going with the "mine is bigger than yours" talk about quoting other racists. I'm not a fan of any of them. 

Just now, Priaptor said:

Yeah but the cancel culture is selective. In this day and age of huge anti-Semitism, those you quote making their anti-Semitic comments are buttressed and condoned by the ever increasing anti-Semites around the world and soon guess what, their version of Snopes will quote one of these lunatics as verified fact checked truism and the anti-Semitism will grow helped along by those useful idiots who listen to such as Roger Waters, Desean Jackson, Sharpton, etc. as verification of their generalizations. 

I agree, cancel culture is very selective. I'm not a fan. 

The pace we are on will have every street named A, B, or C and 1, 2 or 3. 

Life has nuance and we should use our brains to understand as much as we can. 

Just now, charlesphoto said:

Though I have to admit, when reading fifty years later to my kids what I recall as one of my favorite Dr Seuss books, What I Saw on Mulberry Street, I was more than a bit uncomfortable with the stereotypes in it. I think the estate did the right thing. 

I've ran into this with Little House on the Prairie as well. Reading to my daughter, I skip the parts that were normal at the time, but are abhorrent now. I've use these sentences in the book to talk to her about the differences in the way people thought, after we were done for the night.

If an estate wants to stop publishing its own books. That's fine. I likely would too. It's about freedom for me. The Estate has freedom.

4 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

WOW where to begin with this woke garbage. BLM "the movement" is as big a hypocrisy as there is. Funny the example you use. Well if those blacks on the court, that you are choosing to segregate from the "white fans" in the stands, really wanted to make a statement, let them donate 3/4 of their salaries to the black community to buy tickets to watch them play and support the propaganda BLM and their enforcers want to spew. 

To some who want to drink the Kool Aide BLM is all things to others they recognize the BS entailed. 

We aren't talking about BLM. We are talking about people being free to support whatever they want without being canceled. 

Just now, Priaptor said:

Chris the nice thing about digital is like Little House on the Prairie, when listening, you can personally cancel by fast forwarding, those parts you consider racist.

Yeah, but then I get the racist taste in my mouth and I want to puke. I just delete from my library.