IGNORED

Unpopular opinion... I don't think Eric Clapton is very great.

12 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

In fact, I find him boring, I don't hear anything special in his guitar playing

12 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

He took a superior art form, polished all its rough edges, packaged it for middle america

12 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

His best stuff is stolen from JJ Cale, Bob Marley, and innumerable bluesmen. 

12 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

But, if I was building out my desert island milk crate of albums, I would pack JJ Cale, Bob Marley, Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmore, Muddy waters, Steve Winwood, Jimmy Page long before Clapton

3 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

It’s great that he has done albums of the early American blues greats’ material (mainly R.J.), but it’s sort of mushed and commercialized - the antithesis of American blues, to me.

+1

11 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve always liked Clapton’s voice and lyrics better than his guitar playing. I know, call me a heretic :~)

I've always found also his voice sleepy and boring, I'm probably even bigger heretic x-D

8 hours ago, firedog said:

If you listen to Cream and the Derek and the Dominos double album and don't think much of him as a singer, guitarist, and songwriter - hard for me to understand. True greatness there.

I'd tend to agree - quite progressive stuff back then in his early years, just like his solos on some well known Beatles songs. God's greatness.? I'd probably say he was a promising guitarist..

Then, if I may say so, he lost his balls.. Just look at Hendrix last album 'EL' - lots of interesting experimentation and great stuff, I'm not even mentioning great playing. He had plans to record with Miles, he thought about big band music.. I'm sure that if he'd still be alive we would hear lots of music making our jaws drop!

What did Clapton do in his later years - he gave us simply lots of music which is very good.. for falling asleep..

Hendrix vs Clapton vs Townshend alternative..? Let's  be serious - the later two gentlemen met after Hendrix arrived in London and one of them said 'there is this new cat from the US here - soon we will be jobless'.. Townshend was probably the first one to destroy guitars on stage, as for the remaining part of guitar virtuosity and creativity... There was no contest - both Brits knew it themselves!

I somehow tend to think (never explored the subject) that it's quite possible that 'EC - the greatest guitarist ever' myth might have been heavily influenced by the British music press.

BTW I must also admit that I still have mixed feelings about Clapton's MTV Unplugged and the whole huge promotion accompanying it and 'Tears in Heaven', (a quite good IMO and definitely very personal song) written by Clapton after death of his child and the fact how much money his Unplugged concert (BTW fantastically recorded) made while using the man's personal tragedy as a promotional tool. But maybe it's just me.

BTW - for those who haven't seen it yet - 'The Greatest Guitarist of All Time' according to AS members.

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi anti-lockdown talk stuff is pedestrian compared to his racism. I don't really follow him, and can only hope he has changed his ways. People make mistakes, I get it, but this was a bridge too far for me. 

Van Morrison's racism, I guess.?

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Clapton.

Wow, really.? Racism of a guy performing blues, owing so much to all those Black (ok, Afro-American) artists? Haven't heard of it. Maybe he simply has low self esteem connected with the fact how great black blues and black music in general is and that's simply a way to act it out.. Or is just because his awareness of Hendrix superiority.? B| Anyway if it's really so - that's seriously f...ed up!

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If it's really true that he said it -

"Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands… So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country … I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white …"

- it's clearly Hendrix complex, end of story ;) 9_9 :D

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I never understood that one. 

Band wants to be paid for its music. People get upset and destroy its physical discs.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

That they already paid for...

And made their mp3s from..B|

2 hours ago, Priaptor said:

Yeah, so Clapton makes an overtly racist statement during his drug, alcohol, etc. addicted days.  His best buddies were worried he was going to die. 

I'm addicted to tobacco and tea and I'm sometimes worried I might die one day and still I'm not racist.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Speaking out is encouraged, unless you have a platform, such as a musician or entertainer. Makes no sense to me. I like to hear what everyone has to say. This makes it easy to either support them, ignore them, or remove them from my library. 

I separate art, eg music from people themselves. I might not want to speak to somebody but if he makes great music (or any other art form) - I want his creations eg albums in my library. If it wasn't so I'd have to empty my shelves and HDs from eg practically all reggae music (homophobia rules in Rasta circles, you know - the way they read the Bible) and probably Miles Davis who was son of a gun in some regards. The fact that Miles punched somebody eg his wife probably makes him a worse person but for me it doesn't make him a worse musician or 'Kind of Blue' - a worse album.

9 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

As Firefox stated, prove it. Am I to believe you aren't a racist because you say so. I am sure you have made some comments that were offensive to some, maybe even racist or xenophobic to some, the difference is there was no recording of it. 

Didn't prove his innocence - means guilty.?

Then I may be a racist for you.

Do you want telephone nos of Black people who heard from me that the Blacks were clearly exploited by White people and many other things directed against our race in this field.?

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

A couple pages ago :~)

I didn't, for me he is still a guitarist who was quite promising in the late 60s/(very) early 70s..;)

Well.. maybe some of his solos tended to be 30 min too long back then..

Once I was punched in the face without any reason or warning, while walking down the 5th or 6th Av in Manhattan after midnight. The guy was a well, better than me, built black man about 30. Probably on crack - he was talking to himself, moving forth and back - a normal thing in NY back then, I didn't pay much attention while passing him.. till I felt the punch on my jaw that is. As it happened - this was the second time in my life I got punched in the face without any reason or warning - the first time took place in Paris a couple years earlier, that guy was also black - he was exiting a subway train while I was waiting to enter it, simply punched me in the face while leaving it. My friends stopped me from moving quite aggressively towards him to explain what was going on and just dragged me into the train.

After the Manhattan event however, I came to the conclusion that if I don't react this time I may have some racist problem deep inside, so I decided to act. I turned around after a minute or two and followed the guy who soon noticed that I was following him and managed to lose his 'tail' that is me after a couple of minutes. I didn't give up though and I was walking around the area till I found him :). He was standing on the corner of an avenue in a relatively bright light and I was approaching him walking down quite dark street. I was walking towards him like an angry, self-assured bull with my eyes pointed at his, waiting for the moment when he spots me. He did - when I was 15-20 meters away, and he recognized me of course, I saw fear and hesitation in his eyes. 'What's up, man?' he shouted. I thought 'In a moment you will see what's up moth.....r..'. I quickly stopped, spread my feet quite wide and reached for a gun that I had under my under jacket, which I quickly pointed at him. At this point - I should add a non-existing gun which unfortunately he had no chance to see as such, cause the place where I stood was much darker than where he was. What happened next.? You've guessed it right - I didn't shoot him, what happened next was actually my witnessing to what I bet was a beating of the 400m world record. In addition zigzagging. I can't prove this was a 400m zigzagging world record though.

This is how I've managed to avoid becoming a racist (at least a small one in some well hidden corner of myself).

I can't prove it though @Priaptor..

34 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Once I was punched in the face without any reason or warning, while walking down the 5th or 6th Av in Manhattan after midnight. The guy was a well, better than me, built black man about 30. Probably on crack - he was talking to himself, moving forth and back - a normal thing in NY back then, I didn't pay much attention while passing him.. till I felt the punch on my jaw that is. As it happened - this was the second time in my life I got punched in the face without any reason or warning - the first time took place in Paris a couple years earlier, that guy was also black - he was exiting a subway train while I was waiting to enter it, simply punched me in the face while leaving it. My friends stopped me from moving quite aggressively towards him to explain what was going on and just dragged me into the train.

After the Manhattan event however, I came to the conclusion that if I don't react this time I may have some racist problem deep inside, so I decided to act. I turned around after a minute or two and followed the guy who soon noticed that I was following him and managed to lose his 'tail' that is me after a couple of minutes. I didn't give up though and I was walking around the area till I found him :). He was standing on the corner of an avenue in a relatively bright light and I was approaching him walking down quite dark street. I was walking towards him like an angry, self-assured bull with my eyes pointed at his, waiting for the moment when he spots me. He did - when I was 15-20 meters away, and he recognized me of course, I saw fear and hesitation in his eyes. 'What's up, man?' he shouted. I thought 'In a moment you will see what's up moth.....r..'. I quickly stopped, spread my feet quite wide and reached for a gun that I had under my under jacket, which I quickly pointed at him. At this point - I should add a non-existing gun which unfortunately he had no chance to see as such, cause the place where I stood was much darker than where he was. What happened next.? You've guessed it right - I didn't shoot him, what happened next was actually my witnessing to what I bet was a beating of the 400m world record. In addition zigzagging. I can't prove this was a 400m zigzagging world record though.

This is how I've managed to avoid becoming a racist (at least a small one in some well hidden corner of myself).

I can't prove it though @Priaptor..

Yet, I must state it clearly, if any of these two guys who punched me in the face issued some great music, I'd be ready to buy it..(which probably proves how sick I am ) 😀

5 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I'd buy the music too but I'd still welcome the opportunity to return the punches, LOL.

I guess if one has won a certain number of fights in his life;), he then can just move on in such circumstances, especially if he almost shot the guy B|

13 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

1. "The guy was a well, better than me, built black man about 30. Probably on crack". Some here consider that racist on it's face for such a generalization, no?

I don't see any generalization here. I lived in NY in the 90s, I know more or less what people on crack look like, regardless of the color of their skin.

2. Are we going this person a pass for his criminal act because he was "probably on crack" as an explanation yet Clapton, on drugs and alcohol deserves no such leeway? A double standard?

No-one is giving him a 'pass' here, at least I didn't notice. I'm quite sporty man but frankly I wouldn't like to have to do physically with a guy taller and much better built than me, like him, in the middle of the night, especially with a guy on crack. Regardless of the color of his skin. Or shoes for that matter :)

In any case, it is a dangerous world and as the expression goes I rather have my CCW and not need it than need it and not have it. 

This attitude is one of the reasons why the number of Americans could be higher than it is and I can assure you not everyone who 'isn't' anymore due to this deserved it.

12 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

As to your last line of reasoning, the stats don't support your claim is it pertains to being trained and meeting the requirements for a CCW; in fact quite he opposite. 

The stats don't support my claim that not everyone shot in the US deserved it..?

Something for you.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/how-they-got-the-guns-175676/

(a historical case of course, unfortunately one of many)

15 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

I rather use legitimate FBI stats objectively obtained as to where the real problem lies as compared to some propagandist left wing hit piece form the Rolling Stone with an agenda. 

So the FBI statistics say that every shooting victim in the US deserved it.?

Somehow I'm not that surprised..

B|

1 minute ago, Priaptor said:

HUH is that what it says?  Thanks for the info. I thought it broke down the stats objectively based on race, gender, legal v illegal, suicide, etc. Just the facts. 

I just wanted to remind you that, as I understand it, what we discuss here is my statement :

59 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

This attitude is one of the reasons why the number of Americans could be higher than it is and I can assure you not everyone who 'isn't' anymore due to this deserved it.

3 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

My view on Clapton et. al. might be a little "out there": The more wealthy a musician gets, the more the quality of their output declines.  I can't think of a single example of a musicians output quality increasing with financial success.

Let's keep them poor - we will have better music!

There should actually soon be a post corona explosion of great music..

7 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm a little surprised this thread has gotten so much attention.

My view on Clapton et. al. might be a little "out there": The more wealthy a musician gets, the more the quality of their output declines.  I can't think of a single example of a musicians output quality increasing with financial success.

Being able to afford better producers is not the same as making better music.  I know this is a fringe view BTW.

Coltrane wasn't poor in his later period (eg 64-66) and no-one can deny he created some of his highest quality music in this period.

His latest albums, from the free period are as non-commercial as only music can be.