IGNORED

Unpopular opinion... I don't think Eric Clapton is very great.

16 minutes ago, astrotoy said:

How can you not like a man who steals another man's wife and stays friends with him for the rest of his life.

Larry

I think you'd have to apply that more to George Harrison - she was his wife..

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I also agree that Eric Clapton is not one of the greatest guitar players. I do find his style too repetitive and not very pleasant to listen to.
For me great players are those who can play the guitar brilliantly but also create great and memorable tunes. My personal favourites are Tony Iommi, David Gilmour, Brian May, Jimmy Page, all very innovative and creative. And let's not forget the fact that Iommi plays with a few missing finger tips. :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

For what reason do people try to rank guitarists (or anyone else) in particular order: greatest, just great, or not great at all? Isn't it enough to just enjoy what you happen to listen to (or do) at any given moment? You like Clapton - fine! You prefer Jerry Garcia, or George Harrison, or Eddie Van Halen - wonderful! Life is a great occasion for the endless celebration for limitless variety of reasons. 

He's atrocious IMO, esp with that anti-lockdown ditty he and Van Morrison released a couple of months back. Funny thing, is, for some reason I had a few Clapton records in Roon (I think they were put there when I first signed up for Tidal years ago and downloaded the 'essentials' or something like that) and I deleted them because of that song. Guess what? Next thing Roon is suggesting that conservative screed to me on the home page. So much for their algorithms...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

12 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

In fact, I find him boring, I don't hear anything special in his guitar playing

12 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

He took a superior art form, polished all its rough edges, packaged it for middle america

12 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

His best stuff is stolen from JJ Cale, Bob Marley, and innumerable bluesmen. 

12 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

But, if I was building out my desert island milk crate of albums, I would pack JJ Cale, Bob Marley, Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmore, Muddy waters, Steve Winwood, Jimmy Page long before Clapton

3 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

It’s great that he has done albums of the early American blues greats’ material (mainly R.J.), but it’s sort of mushed and commercialized - the antithesis of American blues, to me.

+1

11 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve always liked Clapton’s voice and lyrics better than his guitar playing. I know, call me a heretic :~)

I've always found also his voice sleepy and boring, I'm probably even bigger heretic x-D

8 hours ago, firedog said:

If you listen to Cream and the Derek and the Dominos double album and don't think much of him as a singer, guitarist, and songwriter - hard for me to understand. True greatness there.

I'd tend to agree - quite progressive stuff back then in his early years, just like his solos on some well known Beatles songs. God's greatness.? I'd probably say he was a promising guitarist..

Then, if I may say so, he lost his balls.. Just look at Hendrix last album 'EL' - lots of interesting experimentation and great stuff, I'm not even mentioning great playing. He had plans to record with Miles, he thought about big band music.. I'm sure that if he'd still be alive we would hear lots of music making our jaws drop!

What did Clapton do in his later years - he gave us simply lots of music which is very good.. for falling asleep..

Hendrix vs Clapton vs Townshend alternative..? Let's  be serious - the later two gentlemen met after Hendrix arrived in London and one of them said 'there is this new cat from the US here - soon we will be jobless'.. Townshend was probably the first one to destroy guitars on stage, as for the remaining part of guitar virtuosity and creativity... There was no contest - both Brits knew it themselves!

I somehow tend to think (never explored the subject) that it's quite possible that 'EC - the greatest guitarist ever' myth might have been heavily influenced by the British music press.

BTW I must also admit that I still have mixed feelings about Clapton's MTV Unplugged and the whole huge promotion accompanying it and 'Tears in Heaven', (a quite good IMO and definitely very personal song) written by Clapton after death of his child and the fact how much money his Unplugged concert (BTW fantastically recorded) made while using the man's personal tragedy as a promotional tool. But maybe it's just me.

BTW - for those who haven't seen it yet - 'The Greatest Guitarist of All Time' according to AS members.

I think his rep was made prior to Bluesbreakers in drunken bars from wherever he is from...a cynical view would be he jumped bands to keep from being found out...

I do like Cream, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and some of Blind Faith and DD...but strong musicians were also in those groups.  I do not think much of his stuff post 1970.  Much prefer Gilmour pre-1980, Page, Frusciante, and a couple others.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi anti-lockdown talk stuff is pedestrian compared to his racism. I don't really follow him, and can only hope he has changed his ways. People make mistakes, I get it, but this was a bridge too far for me. 

Van Morrison's racism, I guess.?

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi anti-lockdown talk stuff is pedestrian compared to his racism. I don't really follow him, and can only hope he has changed his ways. People make mistakes, I get it, but this was a bridge too far for me. 

I was not aware of this...  Wow.

No electron left behind.