IGNORED

Potential New Equipment Purchase

MWB1957

7 hours ago, MWB1957 said:

I plan on purchasing some new stereo equipment for the first time in 31 years.  I am looking for comments on my potential purchase.

I have a brand new digital audio player, which will be my primary music source.  The plan is to plug the DAP into the system and listen to music thru wired speaker's.  I have always been partial to stereo componets, my system choices are as follows:

Amplifier.     Yamaha A-S501

Tuner.           Yamaha T-S500

Equalizer.      Pile Pro PPPEQ 100

Speaker's.     ELAC Debut 2.0 F5.2

I am not brand loyal to Yamaha, but the amp and tuner got my attention.

Ccomments / recommendations on my componet choices will be appreciated.

Hello, would you mind providing the brand and model DAP that you intend to use with the system outlined above?

I'm not sure if you already own any of the items you listed but if not I might suggest going a very different route. Assuming you do not own any of the items you listed (except the DAP) and based on my quick calculations it appears all the items listed would cost around $2K.

Depending on the output options of your already purchased DAP and if you intend to hookup a TV or not to this system I might suggest that you look into a pair of "Active Loudspeakers/Monitors" instead of the items listed.

Allot has changed over the last 10-30yrs or so. For example, two of them items listed can now be easily done via software, and done much better. Those items being the Tuner and the EQ.

The available options for Active speaker/monitors is endless and at all price points. Some have DAC's builtin if your DAP doesn't have that already while others offer just the amplifier/speaker parts and you just feed them an analog signal.

Forgot to add...the signal path of such a system I mention could be as simple as:

DAP-----Active Monitor-----Done

Hello again,

Well, I gotta be honest. I wasn't expecting you to say the DAP was of the mobile type. 😀

But the unit you listed (M11) does indeed look very nice. The only concern I have is the Output options in order to connect it to an active speaker system.

First one being, if you use the Digital Outputs on the M11 to connect to another outboard DAC (either within an active speaker or to a traditional outboard DAC) then you lose the nice features of the DAC the M11 has.

Second one being, if you use either of the Balanced Outputs (2.5mm or 4.4mm) that cable would have a TRRRS connection at the M11 end and then two Balanced XLR 3pin connections at the other end. This in and of itself isn't the issue but in an active speaker configuration you would need the two leads with the XLR connectors to split off immediately or soon after from the TRRRS cable end. This being because the speakers would be some number of feet apart from each other. I've not seen such a cable in the wild but perhaps one could be made by these guys https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-portable-mini-cable-v3.html

The same cable story as above goes for when using the Line Output option the M11 has as well into an active speaker. But with that said, you can still connect any of these cables to a preamp without issue so all is not lost in the end.

So what does that all mean? If you find a decent way to output an analog signal from the M11 you could turn around and use your entire budget on a pair of very nice active speakers to connect directly to the M11. For $1600-$2000 you can get a killer pair of actives that would, IMO, sound significantly better than the entire equipment list seen in post one.

An example of the kind of active speakers I'm referring to check out Genelec monitors. I just bought a pair of the tiny 8020D's and they sound waaay larger than anyone could guess if the never saw/heard them before and these are only $1200 with stands. For your budget you could go quite a bit bigger then I did and even add a sub later.

Anyway, good luck in your search. Just offering another angle to building a setup that is more modern and potentially very impressive sounding. If any of the above sounds of interest I would just end with saying call the manufacturer of the M11 first and run such a scenario past them to see if they think their product can operate well in such a configuration. I don't own an M11 myself of course so I'm only going off of what their documentation shows about its feature set.

Just to add one thing in case it was missed for @mwb1957

If your intention is to try and utilize the DAC built into the M11 which appears to have strong DSD and MQA capabilities then you will want to output the signal from the M11 as an Analog signal to the outboard device (active speaker or pre-amp).

The moment you send the signal out of the M11 as a digital signal (be it Bluetooth, SPDIF..etc) you will be handing off the duties of D/A conversion to that outboard device which may or may not have the same capabilities or quality as the DAC inside the M11.

This may not matter to you but I think its just something to be aware of.