IGNORED

QNAP to Amazon Backup Discontinued

37 minutes ago, Dan Gravell said:

There's no mention of this on the QNAP help docs for S3 backup. Why are Amazon doing this?

My guess is that it consumes a ton of data for not many users and the data isn’t very valuable for Amazon in terms of data mining. In other words, they can’t make money on charging for storage, so they make money on looking at your data. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Dan Gravell said:

But what I don't understand is... weren't these people paying? There are plenty of other people paying for S3 storage (that said, it is on the cheaper end of the AWS offerings unless you need a LOT of storage).

The storage was fairly cheap, but storing 4TB of FLAC files doesn't give Amazon any real data about you to mine. They'd have to increase the cost for everyone in order to pay for it, or just disallow it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 3/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, loop7 said:

To which service are people migrating?

I was on Backblaze Unlimited (nice, inexpensive - $60 annually for all the data you care to store). Just purely because I enjoy playing around with this stuff and there are infinite numbers of tools that work with it, I switched to Backblaze B2, which with my slightly over 1TB of storage is close to the same price and allows me to use all sorts of Windows, Linux, and Mac apps to backup my files and access them.  (There are probably more than 20 apps listed at Backblaze, including QNAP, I believe.)

I happen to like rclone, particularly its beta GUI version, and Chronosync on the Mac (through rclone works fine on the Mac - I already had Chronosync set up to sync with my PC, and having it sync with B2 was simple).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.