IGNORED

Choice PCI Card for D.I.Y Audio Server

cpasmoi

Good evening to all

I just finished an Audio Server based on a Core i5 10500 T with 3 SSD Disks are 1 NVME for bone Windows 10 Server 2019 + Roon and 2 NVME for bone Windows 10 Server 2019 + Roon.

SSD for Music File Storage, I installed a JCAT net Femto PC card with its own separate linear power supply all in a Streacom Alpha 9 box. 

I still have to decide which card to choose, either a JCAT USB Net Femto card also powered by its own separate power supply or a PINK fau I2S card.

it will be connected to a new DAC from Audio GD Audio-GD - R8 2021 - Discrete Balanced R2R Ladder FPGA Accusilicon DAC - PCM / DxD / DSD .

the question is to know which link I should privilege because I don't have DSD 128 and 256. 

USD output from the server to USB DAC? Can we send DSD 256 Streams?

USB output to I2S converter and to I2S input of DAC?

I2S output to I2S input of the DAC?

I looked at several reviews it seems that the Pink Fau card is just a TWEAKEE Reactor card while the JCAT Femto USB card is more elaborate. 

Another precision, I used my D1 lumin as Roon Ready termination point is that the new DAC Audio GDa will be able to read MQA files from TIDAL?

Thank you for your feedback

cpasmoi

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• cpasmoi changed the title to Choice PCI Card for D.I.Y Audio Server
2 hours ago, cpasmoi said:

I used my D1 lumin as Roon Ready termination point is that the new DAC Audio GDa will be able to read MQA files from TIDAL?

If you use Lumin D1 BNC connection to output to Audio-gd, please set Lumin Digital Audio Output to Enable, and MQA Mode to Digital output.  You may also need to set DSD to convert to PCM 176.4kHz.

Lumin will perform MQA Core decoding (first unfold) to 96kHz or 88.2kHz to your non-MQA DAC.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2021 at 11:26 PM, cpasmoi said:

Good evening to all

I just finished an Audio Server based on a Core i5 10500 T with 3 SSD Disks are 1 NVME for bone Windows 10 Server 2019 + Roon and 2 NVME for bone Windows 10 Server 2019 + Roon.

SSD for Music File Storage, I installed a JCAT net Femto PC card with its own separate linear power supply all in a Streacom Alpha 9 box. 

I still have to decide which card to choose, either a JCAT USB Net Femto card also powered by its own separate power supply or a PINK fau I2S card.

it will be connected to a new DAC from Audio GD Audio-GD - R8 2021 - Discrete Balanced R2R Ladder FPGA Accusilicon DAC - PCM / DxD / DSD .

the question is to know which link I should privilege because I don't have DSD 128 and 256. 

USD output from the server to USB DAC? Can we send DSD 256 Streams?

USB output to I2S converter and to I2S input of DAC?

I2S output to I2S input of the DAC?

I looked at several reviews it seems that the Pink Fau card is just a TWEAKEE Reactor card while the JCAT Femto USB card is more elaborate. 

Another precision, I used my D1 lumin as Roon Ready termination point is that the new DAC Audio GDa will be able to read MQA files from TIDAL?

Thank you for your feedback

cpasmoi

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I would avoid Pink faun with Intel due to potential compatibility issues but send an email to Pink Faun to make sure. I personally prefer the Pink faun sound but the Jcat XE sound impressive indeed. The Femto is fine. It is a matter of taste and system synergy. 

If you go with a USB card, it is preferable to use an Isoregen and a digital converter like an audio gd di20 (or di20-he) before you go into the DAC. Those make a big difference, particularity the di20 (alternatively, a gustard U16). Also the 5V LPS is critical to the sound quality. Really really really critical. I recommend JS2 or Initio or Optimo. Some like super farad. Not sure what you have but Jcat cards require a very very good LPS. In my experience, they don’t sound good otherwise. 

I know it’s a hard sell (to say the least) but if I were you, I would go for an AMD Ryzen which is compatible with pink faun, and use a Pink faun I2S bridge with the best 5V LPS I can afford. Simple solution and musical. Alternatively, keep the Intel, and use Jcat Femto or XE with Isoregen into the DAC in USB. In the end, you need to try and experiment. If you LPS is not so good, then no question: I will go with El Fidelity USB card.