IGNORED

Internet blind comparison of two USB cables

pkane2001

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Test: The test will be fairly simple: play music using a PC (iMac) over USB cables, A or B, directly into the DAC.

When will you finally get it , that to hear details such as this ,you can't use any nondescript PC, or worse still a stock standard Mac Mini, which as many members have already verified markedly improves after an Uptone Linear PSU designed by the talented John Swenson is fitted to replace the original SMPS .

It may be news to you, but it isn't to many 100s of A.S. members that the front end DOES matter !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

44 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

That's what I'm hearing from others. If these differences are so obvious and audible, they shouldn't be hard to capture and to reproduce.

If you are unable to hear the differences directly, as I suspect,  it will almost certainly be a waste of every participant's time by further proceeding as it is highly likely to be due to your equipment simply not being transparent enough.

ray_dude is also saying something similar.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Sorry, since what I’m proposing is a listening test, I don’t see how your criticism about instruments applies.

In this case ,the instrument is an additional A/D converter.

not depend on unwise assumptions from unneeded extra steps. 

17 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Maybe I must back out on this at first. Because what if this works after all, by means of capturing the analogue output of the DAC.

Peter

Perhaps you should also do a digital capture purely for verification that the cables used all resulted in no changes of the Binary Data as received at the input to the DAC.

My apologies if you have already stated this

Alex

16 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

In my opinion... If a USB cable changes the sound, it is faulty.

In my experience , with .wav files saved to a USB memory stick plugged into the end of different USB cables  they do sound a little different when the USB memory stick is then plugged directly into a USB port of the PC.

A quality Belden USB cable, for example sounds better to me than a cheap generic 3M long USB cable.

Some of those cables also use thinner copper conductors  than the brand name cables.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:41 AM, pkane2001 said:

f you don't want to participate, that's fine. I'll publish what I record and others can decide if they want to listen to it or not, and whether they hear the difference. 

Better still , publish it in ASR instead , where these kind of vendettas belong.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

@The Computer Audiophile, can you please ask @sandyk to stop moderating my thread?

Or I can do it if you give me moderator rights. Thank you. 

I am not moderating your thread .

I simply don't believe that it's a good look to post ASR style threads like this in this forum that attack the products of other forum members and may affect their livelihood.

Anyway, I will no longer post in this thread..