IGNORED

Holo Audio Serene Preamplifier

That Holo Audio stack looks sooo good together however the Pass Labs spoils the photo,  sorry Nelson , I’m currently using a honey of a preamplifier now ,  Sparkos Lab Aries though I’m ready to place an order for a Serene simply out of pure curiosity wanting compare it to the Aries though most importantly the Serene will look so much better with the May KTE dac.,,

This well worn out phrase “game changer” is too often used on forums though for me the Holo Audio May KTE dac truly is a game changer component. 
GoldenOne I remember a comment you made regarding trying different USB cables and finding non of them were sonically different from one another,.I thought hmm , what’s that about ?  The last two USB cables I owned clearly were sonically different from one another both being equal in price so no influence there one over the other was much preferred with definition and especially with timbre and tone of well recorded vocals .

Currently I’m using the May dac factory supplied USB cable there is a slight difference I put that to being new fresh out of the plastic bag . How interesting is that I thought , GoldenOne was right . 
Why is that ? and what else is there to be discovered with the May dac . I use a fairly expensive server that also uses a proprietary design USB board which is directly clocked by a independent clock board and both independently powered just how much of an influence that has I’m going to borrow another front end to do some comparisons ,

I’m fairly new to digital playback having only joined in the past few years having vinyl as a primary source I never warmed up to digital playback no matter who designed it and at any retail price however that has obviously changed .

Finally there is something so visceral about Holo Audio dac i can’t put my finger on it yet though I have absolute faith in GoldenOnes ability to uncover it .

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

I may be in the market for a superb balanced pre-amp, do you like the Pass?

I do indeed. Its absolutely lovely. 

This unit is here as I'm selling it on behalf of a friend. If possible I'll do a full review of it but have to get some others done first so if this sells before then I'll post some text impressions but won't do a full video. 

But yeah it's stellar

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

1 minute ago, GoldenOne said:

I do indeed. Its absolutely lovely. 

This unit is here as I'm selling it on behalf of a friend. If possible I'll do a full review of it but have to get some others done first so if this sells before then I'll post some text impressions but won't do a full video. 

But yeah it's stellar

selling you say?

ha

No electron left behind.

selling you say?

ha

Its not mine and I can't spend 4k on a pre right now :P

Putting everything I can toward an analyzer. 

Friend of mine shipped it to me as it would sell much easier in the UK/EU than in Bangladesh

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

1 minute ago, GoldenOne said:

Its not mine and I can't spend 4k on a pre right now :P

Putting everything I can toward an analyzer. 

Friend of mine shipped it to me as it would sell much easier in the UK/EU than in Bangladesh

Damnit, I was about to buy it and you tell me you're not in the US...

edit: I should have noticed the UK flag next to your username...

No electron left behind.

Damnit, I was about to buy it and you tell me you're not in the US...

edit: I should have noticed the UK flag next to your username...

Shipping to the US wouldn't be an issue but unfortunately its 230v and as far as I'm aware cant be switched to 110v

On 5/3/2021 at 1:07 PM, GoldenOne said:

I would absolutely love to try that combo though!

@GoldenOne - are you based in the UK? Sean Jacobs will build you a demo DC4 LPS for your DAVE DAC to try if you are interested. 

My take on the DAVE DAC - it's nothing special in its stock version. I would never buy one to use it in its stock version. I have a DIY tube DAC with multiple AD1865NK DAC chips and a JLSounds USB/reclocker that I prefer over the stock DAVE DAC. 

But the DAVE is really a "platform" that with some work can become as good (or better) as any DAC, regardless of the price. There are 3 things that I've done on my DAVE DAC to bring it to that level:

1. Replace the stock SMPS power supply with a DC4 LPS. 
  2. Use PGGB to upsample your local files at 16fs.
  3. Bypass the Amanero USB on the DAVE with a SRC•DX USB to DX Bridge

With those 3 things done (and preferably using High Fidelity Cables CT2 RCA cables with RCA to BNC adaptors between the SRC•DX and the DAVE), I prefer the DAVE over the top dCS DACs. Yes, the price gets much higher, but so does the sound quality you get from the DAVE. It's hard to grasp until you hear it. 

In case you are interested, feel free to contact Sean https://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/contact-us. I gave him a heads up already, and he said he would be happy to build a DC4 for you to try.

Sorry for the offtopic message.

BTW, I recently discovered your YouTube channel and enjoy your videos! Thank you and keep up the good work. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

9 minutes ago, Nenon said:

@GoldenOne - are you based in the UK? Sean Jacobs will build you a demo DC4 LPS for your DAVE DAC to try if you are interested. 

My take on the DAVE DAC - it's nothing special in its stock version. I would never buy one to use it in its stock version. I have a DIY tube DAC with multiple AD1865NK DAC chips and a JLSounds USB/reclocker that I prefer over the stock DAVE DAC. 

But the DAVE is really a "platform" that with some work can become as good (or better) as any DAC, regardless of the price. There are 3 things that I've done on my DAVE DAC to bring it to that level:

1. Replace the stock SMPS power supply with a DC4 LPS. 
  2. Use PGGB to upsample your local files at 16fs.
  3. Bypass the Amanero USB on the DAVE with a SRC•DX USB to DX Bridge

With those 3 things done (and preferably using High Fidelity Cables CT2 RCA cables with RCA to BNC adaptors between the SRC•DX and the DAVE), I prefer the DAVE over the top dCS DACs. Yes, the price gets much higher, but so does the sound quality you get from the DAVE. It's hard to grasp until you hear it. 

In case you are interested, feel free to contact Sean https://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/contact-us. I gave him a heads up already, and he said he would be happy to build a DC4 for you to try.

Sorry for the offtopic message.

BTW, I recently discovered your YouTube channel and enjoy your videos! Thank you and keep up the good work. 

I no longer have the Dave here as it was just being loaned to me for review. Its not my own unit. 

I'd love to try the DC4 if the opportunity arises though! But at the moment unfortunately wouldn't have anything to use it with. 

13 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

I doubt I'll be reviewing it. Unfortunately I really wasn't keen on the hpa4 as a headphone amp. 

To be brutally honest it sounded like a slightly better thx 789.

A YouTube reviewer (here) compared HPA4 with the Topping Pre90 and he was unable to tell them apart. Try the Pre90 (Amazon, easy returns) and see if you like it.

I did not personally enjoy the sound of NFCA / THX AAA - impressively clean, but not a pleasant listen and sounded artificial to me.  I don't like this topology - might work for someone who runs tube amps further down the line though  (I have similar thoughts on the D90).  I sent my unit back.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:07 PM, GoldenOne said:

I've not tried that no. I do like better power supplies and in some gear it can make quite a noticeable difference. Though once you put that on the DAVE you've both invalidated your warranty and also are now looking at a nearly £20k setup just for the DAC alone (assuming you have MScaler). So it's a bit of a different ball game at that point as you could be looking at a dCS vivaldi or something. 

I would absolutely love to try that combo though!

I've actually filmed most of the May review, but it's going to be a LONG one cause there is just so much to talk about, and lots of different ways to use it. (R2R PCM, OS PCM, HQP PCM, OS DSD, HQP DSD etc)

Just to pick up on what @happybob mentioned about his DC4 Dave, I think this combination is more compelling than adding the MScaler to the Dave (and of course does not need a preamp).

The Holo May and Serene do look interesting though.

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, GoldenOne said:

I no longer have the Dave here as it was just being loaned to me for review. Its not my own unit. 

I'd love to try the DC4 if the opportunity arises though! But at the moment unfortunately wouldn't have anything to use it with. 

I might be able to lend a dc4 Dave . . . 

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

@GoldenOne
I was hesitating to buy a preamp in last 2 months. My candidates were the Holo Serene and Pass Labs XP-12.

...then had no too much time for the hobby and searching for demos so I purchased the Serene, without hearing it anywhere.

I'm satisfied, it sounds very convincing however I have no tons of experience with preamps as I lived for years in full life without a preamp (what was traversed after trying my friend's old Krell). I'm interested to know what would happen.....

Would you be so kind to share some words on the comparison between Serene and XP-12? What did you experience in listening them after each other?
Thanks in advance!

On 6/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, Fourlegs said:

Just to pick up on what @happybob mentioned about his DC4 Dave, I think this combination is more compelling than adding the MScaler to the Dave (and of course does not need a preamp).

The Holo May and Serene do look interesting though.

And to add to what Fourlegs said about the DC4 LPS being more significant than the MScaler when added to Dave: if you enter the realm of PGGB upsampling (highly recommended) then there is no longer a need for an MScaler at all (except for streaming music - and even that could change relatively soon). PGGB goes way beyond (in a good way) what the MScaler can do, but for now it only works with downloaded files with offline upsampling. The combo of a Dave with a DC4 LPS and PGGB 16FS upsampled files is quite compelling - but who's to say this beats the Holo May? Would be a great direct comparison!

1 hour ago, happybob said:

And to add to what Fourlegs said about the DC4 LPS being more significant than the MScaler when added to Dave: if you enter the realm of PGGB upsampling (highly recommended) then there is no longer a need for an MScaler at all (except for streaming music - and even that could change relatively soon). PGGB goes way beyond (in a good way) what the MScaler can do, but for now it only works with downloaded files with offline upsampling. The combo of a Dave with a DC4 LPS and PGGB 16FS upsampled files is quite compelling - but who's to say this beats the Holo May? Would be a great direct comparison!

Personally I felt that a good HQP config beat MScaler fairly noticeably. (Not as convenient though of course)

5 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Personally I felt that a good HQP config beat MScaler fairly noticeably. (Not as convenient though of course)

Very interesting! I've not yet tried HQP, but have compared MScaler to PGGB and PGGB is a lot better than the MScaler with my Chord Dave. I know Audiobacon did an HQP vs Chord MScaler and found he liked the MScaler better https://audiobacon.net/2021/03/17/hqplayer-better-than-a-5000-upscaler/. Lots of variables of course...

@goldenone it would be really great if at some point you can compare HQP to PGGB - perhaps with a Holo May and also ideally a Chord Dave with Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS.