IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I put his account on read only for now. When he started posting the same old stuff again and again and again last night, long after this thread moved on, I’d had it. To me, he wasn’t interested in being part of a community, but rather just pissing in the punch bowl. 

GOTCHA!

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 3/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, asdf1000 said:

1. One of your writers in this very thread confirmed they are paid to write reviews on whatever they like. That wasn't news to me, it's been mentioned in other threads before.

I’m confused. How is this evidence of bias?

On 3/15/2021 at 11:49 AM, 57gold said:

Wonder if AS readers have found ASR recommendations, like DACs that rank high on the ASR boil it down to one number scale, that sound bad or weak? 

The Okto, Mola Mola, Gustard and Matrix units at the top of their scale seem to have some fans here.

I reviewed both the RME and Matrix here. In terms of sound alone, I found the former good, but overall not superb for the price, and the latter excellent.

On 3/15/2021 at 11:55 AM, asdf1000 said:

The verifications (measurements) don't lie ;-) the measurements are the measurements but if one doubts, they are there for people to try and reproduce if in doubt

I think you’re vastly overestimating the simplicity of measurements. Even DAC and amp measurements can be screwed up easily, particularly when they’re done fast and carelessly. Measurements of transducers? Hugely variable. 

On 3/16/2021 at 4:55 PM, Samuel T Cogley said:

I just think it's bad form to trash another audio forum.  And that's what we're doing here, but there's enough off topic posts in the thread to make it seem like that's perhaps not the case.  But delete all those off topic posts, and this thread is just a way to trash ASR in particular and "objectivists" in general.

Have you read ASR’s views on other forums? For better or worse, it’s pretty normal for publications and communities occupying similar spaces to compare themselves. Sometimes it can go too far. But on the spectrum of inappropriateness, I think this thread is pretty tame. 

4 hours ago, JoshM said:

he obviously figured out early on that slamming “audiophile” brands (except ones he sells)

Only my strong will stopped me from buying Arcam AVR390 after his review. /s

I know, I know, it was a necessary sacrifice to keep the pretence. /s (I should stop now)

9 hours ago, lucretius said:

I was under the impression that a well-designed filter was the same as any other well-designed filter as far as the audible range is concerned.

Absolutely not the case! :)

I would claim that I have several well-designed filters. How you define "audible range" is another matter, if you want to stop your consideration for example at exactly 20 kHz in a brickwall manner (20.01 kHz wouldn't matter at all anymore), or maybe 21 kHz in a non-brickwall manner which already makes a big difference regarding digital filters for RedBook.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

55 minutes ago, Miska said:

What do you exactly mean by "PCM chain used by the mastering studio"?

If they used some DAC based on remotely modern D/A converter chip, that includes something similar to "DSD upsampling chain", but just in a way that cuts a lot of corners while doing so. Those cut corners for various reasons, for example because it is on the same chip as the sensitive analog parts, because of thermal reasons (cannot assume cooling), because clock speeds are below 100 MHz, and because of component target cost (about 10€).

You replied to me on this topic, I suggest you scroll back to see what was being discussed at the time, lol. 

4 hours ago, Currawong said:

Does the Bridge cut off output when nothing is playing? I had this issue when testing DAPs for noise, which I do with Campfire Andromedas, as they are very sensitive. Since they save battery by cutting off the amp circuit when nothing is playing, I play a track of silence to ensure the amp circuit is switched on. 

It’s possible, but I assume output would be cut for both analog and digital volume controls. Will have to do more tests. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Same here. My hearing falls off at 16K Hz and all filters and upsampling sound the same to me.

Now that things have calmed down a bit:

It's always been very interesting to me not only what we hear, but what we *could* hear if trained.  That means we've always been hearing it, and noticing it subconsciously at some level, but just haven't consciously noticed.

I assume Miska (1) doesn't have superhuman hearing, and (2) might do a reasonable job at being able to discern differences in HQPlayer filters.  (Either assumption could be wrong of course, the second more likely.)

If true, this might mean different emotional reactions to music played through filters in which the untrained cannot consciously discern differences.

How can something too subtle to be consciously noticed have an emotional effect?  There is academic research showing emotional effects up to and including breaking out in a cold sweat from subconscious stimuli.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, it doesn't mean giving up on objective side. As I said earlier, you can have two filters, both objectively equally good and sound different.

Sometimes it exists because people want to have a specific number (and because one company happens to have such filter in their hardware product). Not that it would be my longest one though.

But pretty decent in my opinion

114399184_Screenshotfrom2021-03-1715-48-04.png.b74fdc9ec946d2b730960639842095b9.png

for it's purpose.

That’s a purdy filter. 😍

13 hours ago, Rexp said:

Assuming you could, which playback chain would be more accurate, the PCM chain used by the mastering studio or a DSD upsampling chain? 

I’m assuming you’re referring to a file mastered to PCM initially (since there are some SACD and other releases mastered to DSD), but what I think is interesting about this is the (porous) wall between the pro and hi-fi world. While there are some brands that straddle the line (like Mytek) and some that grew out of pro brands (Pacific Microsonics -> Berkeley), there are lots of commonly used pro ADCs that consumers rarely buy. There also are some mastering studios that use multiple DACs to listen to playback. So nailing down “how it sounded in the studio” (even putting aside the rest of the chain) becomes even harder in that case. 

15 minutes ago, JoshM said:

I’m assuming you’re referring to a file mastered to PCM initially (since there are some SACD and other releases mastered to DSD), but what I think is interesting about this is the (porous) wall between the pro and hi-fi world. While there are some brands that straddle the line (like Mytek) and some that grew out of pro brands (Pacific Microsonics -> Berkeley), there are lots of commonly used pro ADCs that consumers rarely buy. There also are some mastering studios that use multiple DACs to listen to playback. So nailing down “how it sounded in the studio” (even putting aside the rest of the chain) becomes even harder in that case. 

What will be interesting is PS Audio are planning to design the whole recording and play back chain for their new record label so one will more easily be able to hear at home what was heard in the studio.

36 minutes ago, Rexp said:

What will be interesting is PS Audio are planning to design the whole recording and play back chain for their new record label so one will more easily be able to hear at home what was heard in the studio.

Accept for the unavoidable fact that the room plays a huge role in the sound. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, Miska said:

You can have two filters that are equally accurate objectively but sound subjectively different.

... which would mean that

a. they are different physically

b. that this implies a subj ... ... ...

Bzzzz

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)