IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

HI Andy, it will probably be easiest to digest this little pieces at a time, at least for me. 

I'm listening to a DAC that enables external DSP processing. When it's used, the DAC measures much better and is more linear. This provides a more accurate analog output through DSP. Removing nonlinearities is a good thing. It isn't a matter of mine is more perfect because the built-in filters can be bettered. No filter is perfect. 

Bringing HQP back into the conversation (it is the paradigm for such discussions and presumably what you are using?)

I occasionally glance at his software thread and all anyone ever asks is "which filter should I use?"

I'l bet you've measured more than one filter. Would be interesting to know if you have noticed a correlation purely between linearity and perceived SQ? And what else, if anything, have you measured that you feel might be notable...

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Exactly what my wife told me at breakfast this morning. 

Sounds like you found the perfect woman: "audiophile wife". Congrats!

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, Racerxnet said:

Does HqPlayer help reconstruct the wave form more accurately??

7 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

How would you make the comparison?  What would you use as your "accurate" sample?

That's exactly what I attempted to do in this thread:

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

43 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

What you guys seem to have fortotten (in the midst of what should be 10K posts about it, if not way more) is that NOS is accurate towards the time domain and 1M taps is accurate towards the frequency domain.

Bruno Putzeys showed in one of his 'masterclass' presentations that filterless NOS isn't invariant with respect to sample clock phase. Which makes it about as inaccurate in the time domain as its possible to be.

1 minute ago, opus101 said:

Which makes it about as inaccurate in the time domain as its possible to be.

That is why I was careful not to state "100%" (in this case represented by "towards" and in my English). Besides, I assume "after upsampling" which in my case always has been to 705.6/768 (except fo the first 6 months of the DAC's life, when it was 352.8/384.

Also, don't forget that Bruno is a sheer "DSD" man. He will do everything to prize his own findings (also found back in everything Hypex).

I recall that you too are a DSD adherer. So please continue. 🙂

(maybe I'm wrong)

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

32 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Yeah, you recall wrong.

Sincere apologies for the accusation. It wasn't meant bad anyway.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

5 hours ago, opus101 said:

The '/2' here I believe is superfluous - Nyquist is already fs/2.

No it is not. Since 1 kHz tone sampled at 44.1 kHz rate will have image at 43.1 kHz (and also at 45.1 and 87.1 kHz and so on and so on). And 20 kHz tone sampled at 44.1 kHz rate will have image at 24.1 kHz (and also at 64.1 kHz and 68.2 kHz and so on and so on). To reconstruct 20 kHz tone from 44.1 kHz 16-bit sampling, you need to get the 24.1 kHz image down to at least -96 dB.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

No it is not. Since 1 kHz tone sampled at 44.1 kHz rate will have image at 43.1 kHz (and also at 45.1 and 87.1 kHz and so on and so on). And 20 kHz tone sampled at 44.1 kHz rate will have image at 24.1 kHz (and also at 64.1 kHz and 68.2 kHz and so on and so on). To reconstruct 20 kHz tone from 44.1 kHz 16-bit sampling, you need to get the 24.1 kHz image down to at least -96 dB.

Yes I agree with all of that, but the first sentence. I can't see how its relevant to my original contention.

7 hours ago, lucretius said:

No matter what format (PCM vs DSD) you digitize in, ultrasonic artifacts are created. The more bits you have, the lower the noise floor. Noise floor is lowered by roughly 6db for each bit.  DSD has significantly higher quantization noise than PCM, and the noise is much closer to audible frequencies, requiring significantly more sophisticated digital filters, as well as noise-shaping and upsampling algorithms.  When converting from PCM to DSD, more quantization noise and/or quantization errors are added to the recording.

Wrong... You cannot compare it this way, because you are not using equal bandwidths. If you look at how 44.1 kHz samples 16-bit PCM looks like at 2.8 MHz bandwidth it is clear that it has massive amount of ultrasonic images throughout the specrum.

One of these sampling systems is "Nyquist" sampling where you typically would look only at the frequencies between 0 and fs/2. But you can look also for example at frequencies from -fs x 64 to fs x 64 as well.

7 hours ago, lucretius said:

DSD128 has the majority of its quantization noise around 50KHz, which is fairly close to the same frequency as the majority of the quantization noise in a 44.1KHz PCM recording, which is centered around 44.1KHz.

No, DSD128 has noise floor beginning to increase at about 50 kHz. Below that it could be for example at -160 dB or lower, exceeding resolution of 24-bit PCM. For practical purposes, DSD128 gives you flat noise floor to 50 kHz. This is also what you get from most modern ADCs with PCM output. PCM output from a modern ADC typically looks just like DSD128 converted to PCM.

DSD256 gives you flat noise floor to 100 kHz, DSD512 to 200 kHz, DSD1024 to 400 kHz and DSD2048 to 800 kHz. This flat noise floor means that the quantization noise within this band is below analog noise floor of even best analog electronics. So the noise floor of analog world defines the noise floor.

Majority of DSD quantization noise is close to the sampling rate, 5.6 MHz for DSD128 for example.

11 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Yes I agree with all of that, but the first sentence. I can't see how its relevant to my original contention.

Just that for proper reconstruction you need to be band-limited to fs/2. There's no way around it. And that makes RedBook very tricky because the Nyquist (fs/2) is right at the edge of audio band (in traditional sense of audio band). Meaning that images begin right above fs/2.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Just that for proper reconstruction you need to be band-limited to fs/2. There's no way around it. And that makes RedBook very tricky because the Nyquist (fs/2) is right at the edge of audio band (in traditional sense of audio band). Meaning that images begin right above fs/2.

Yes I agree with all of that too. But note you wrote 'Nyquist' not 'Nyquist/2' which was what I have been taking issue with.

10 hours ago, Rexp said:

If the consumer uses the exact PCM playback chain the Artist heard in the mastering studio they will hear what Artist heard. What do you think the consumer will hear if they then change to DSD upsampling playback? So yes I agree with @Andyman

Except that in practice nobody will ever have the exact PCM playback chain the Artist had in mastering studio. Already for the reason that there are way too many studios that people could possess the same gear and playback chain. Even less so the same acoustics.