IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

17 minutes ago, fas42 said:

if every show has people with orange faces, then I get a bit sick of this - this doesn't reflect how the world is for me ... but if I see a purple face, a pink face, a brown face, a washed out, dull coloured face, and lo and behold, every now and then a naturally coloured face ... then, I think I'm in a pretty good place ... see?

So you can't see through the orange to the natural color that was in the original recording? I'm SHOCKED! 😱

41 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

P.S. @Andyman can you find someone on Earth who agrees with your logic on this? I'm all ears, but I think it's faulty. I'll even listen to the most objective people on this one. What does @pkane2001 say? I'm all ears. 

I'm not an advocate for DSD as a storage or recording format. But arguments that converting to DSD somehow destroys the original sound is similar to an argument that upsampling destroys music. When done properly, both can represent all the audible signal in the original PCM. Any possible differences would then be due to the design choices made in software or hardware that convert it to analog. Some DACs process DSD directly, simplifying D-to-A circuitry, others may convert DSD to PCM only to convert it back to DSD. Most Delta-Sigma converters do the conversion to DSD without asking, so very frequently it can't be avoided. 

3 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Paul, you should start making DACs. This is really the strangest BS 😉 of all times. Really. Undoubtedly unintentional, but it is (again) getting more and more crazy in this thread.

Ask Miska why he implemented a filter A, B, C etc. Try to drag out of him that he did that to create a certain sound. I'll bet you he won't say that. He merely would say something along the lines of:

- Distortion shifts to an other location, less harmful to you if you are sensitive to it.

- Filter B is an improvement of filter A. A remains for those who like it.

- Filter C is a general improvement for XYZ.

And no filter is perfect because that can't exist in reconstruction.

Happy to lose the bet. I don't care. I have my own filters. 🤗

Peter, I don't know what you're arguing against. Filters are designed. Certain filters are designed poorly, less accurately, causing images, and ringing, oscillations in frequency and phase in the pass band, etc. Some of these are designed because someone thought they sounded better. Some are designed this way because they're easier to implement. If you're arguing that these don't exist, you've not measured many DACs.

3 hours ago, PeterSt said:

There is nothing like "poorer". There's just an enormous difference in approach between e.g. genuine NOS (no filter at all) and Rob Watts with 1M filter taps. Let's say that DSD is somewhere in that spectrum too, working with different properties (like upsampling way more, right into the DSD domain).

What you guys seem to have fortotten (in the midst of what should be 10K posts about it, if not way more) is that NOS is accurate towards the time domain and 1M taps is accurate towards the frequency domain. The more "accurate" in either of these ends of the spectrum, the more inaccurate the other end will be.

So it is the skill to be something in the middle (anywhere but not at one of the ends) and make the one the best for your (designer's liking) and the other the least harmful technically.

Miska will tell you the same. It is only that my liking is towards the time domain and his liking is towards the frequency domain.

Nice eh ? two blokes ever back starting the same thing, but with different technical aims. Both worked out to its best. Both overruling what happens in-DAC. that preferably being a NOS/filterless DAC because it does nothing in the first place.

Are you telling me that 1M tap linear-phase FIR filter will be inaccurate in the time domain? Really? Can you explain how that happen when phase is kept linear? I'm curious.

4 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I see. You just invented the perfect filter. It is 100% good in the frequency domain as that it is 100% good in the time domain (assumed that a 1M tap filter is any sort of 100%). A world's first.

Or would you attest that the 1M tap filter sucks in the frequency domain ? Only then you could theoretically be right.

How are the measurements doing ? (decoy attempt)

I didn't say it's perfect, but it can be as perfect as you want and doesn't require any new invention or guessing. A 1M tap linear-phase FIR filter doesn't suck. Theoretically speaking :)

Measurements are going well. I have a few samples of Lush^2 ready for blind testing, just going through some final adjustments and testing :)

6 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

But that's a really good point, Chris.  Which HQP filter is the "most accurate"?  Based on my limited understanding of digital filters, I think it's the Closed Form filters, which not many like.  How about you?

"Like" and "accurate" are not necessarily the same. My PKHarmonic VST plugin lets one add arbitrary levels of harmonic distortion to audio. There are many who prefer their music with a dash of distortion, even among the objectivist crowd :)

A filter has very well defined mathematical properties. The one that introduces less distortion in the audible band wins the accuracy competition. This can be evaluated mathematically, or by measuring. What makes the closed-form filter better than others?

22 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Interesting, understand that Mytek's "improved" analog volume on Brooklyn+ adds some distortion to "warm up" the sonics.  

ASR disliked that feature, as opposed to just recommending users to stick to "cleaner" digital volume control.

Generally, I'd say the same thing: distortion is messing up the accuracy of audio reproduction. And yet, some prefer the "messed up" sound, as long as it's messed up in certain, pleasing ways.

18 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I was under the impression that a well-designed filter was the same as any other well-designed filter as far as the audible range is concerned.  But, apparently, folks have preferences among the "well-designed" filters.  I cannot reconcile this.

I can’t speak to that, having no preference other than a filter with linear phase response, a deep out of band rejection and low in-band ripple. Beyond this, I don’t find filters very exciting ;)

3 minutes ago, JoshM said:

This is different from serving as a check on a manufacturer’s claimed specs, though. One needs to perform the same tests as the manufacturer’s specs. The above doesn’t do that. 

More importantly, how is paying writers bad, and why would advertisements necessarily lead to more bias than accepting donations?

Despite likely being very well-off, Amir is soliciting donations for his reviews. He is a paid writer. He also clearly wants page clicks and attention. Both of these are likely to create sources of bias.

As said above, he obviously figured out early on that slamming “audiophile” brands (except ones he sells) and hyping cheap products was the path to attention and donations, and he’s followed that ever since. Right now he’s claiming he knows more about designing headphones than Abyss’s engineers. I’m not a huge Abyss fan, but at a certain point an ego of that size becomes horrifically comical.

@asdf1000 let me know that he's no longer allowed to post here, so don't expect an answer.

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

Couldn't be, the subjects weren't consciously aware of the stimulus causing the effect (breaking out in a cold sweat as measured by galvanic skin response).

You can read a summary at the link below, and there are academic papers with more detail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_gambling_task

Edit: By the way, in the audio sphere there are also academic papers regarding training effects, where phenomena that people tested as not hearing or hearing unreliably are after training able to test as hearing or hearing more reliably.

I’m not sure what the IGT experiment means to audio testing or listener training, Jud. Can you please explain how it’s applicable?