IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

29 minutes ago, semente said:

I don’t find other people’s personal opinion and listening experience very useful.

I prefer to use measurements to shortlist equipment worth auditioning and then perform my own assessment.

I don’t disagree, but I would think that you should listen too, no? Amir doesn’t listen, just goes by the numbers, which may or may not tell the true story.

Sure and you consider that even if I find that his measurements are weighted towards a given opinion. In a hobby with tons of choices, I can gather info on measurments to decide what to audition and listen too. The gang over at ASR crap all over the Yggy. If I bought into the measurement only viewpoint I would missed out of years of listening enjoyment.

6 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

His recommendation are based on being a well engineered product (or not).

One can then use that information to shortlist well engineered products, to go listen / demo ....

I don't understand why one needs to read/hear what someone else things about sound quality when the HiFi Gods have blessed all of us that are in this hobby, with our own 2 ears.

I buy based on what the product sounds like when I audition it and if the product has a history of reliability, not what reviewer says, although I do have some friends whose hearing and tastes I trust. To imply that a product like the Yggy is not well engineered based upon an incomplete set of measurements is laughable. I have had one since 2015 and it has been completely reliable and has given me countless hours of enjoyment. To me, that is a well engineered product.  I have had other better measuring DACs in here that didn’t do that. I have been in this hobby since the mid 1980’s and there are few designers I would trust without listening at this point, Richard Vandersteen, Steve McCormack and Mike Moffat. I am sure my early 90’s Theta DAC wouldn’t measure perfectly but it still works and is put into service when the Yggy goes back in for an update that I can’t do myself. Mike has been clear that there will be measurement issues with multibit DACs. So what if they sound this good. I have recordings where I have been in the control room when they were made and the Yggy reproduces them wonderfully.

adsf1000 so Schiit bought a APx555. So what? The Yggy doesn’t measure perfectly, still doesn’t. Mike Moffat has been clear that multibit doesn’t measure perfectly. I have spoken with him about it. He doesn’t care, neither do I. It measures well enough and sounds wonderful. I am not into measurbation.