IGNORED

Best audiophile headphones under 500$

I happen to like IEMs, and Etymotic's top line offerings are very accurate without breaking the budget.  But not many other folks are as into having those things stuck in their ears as I am, apparently. 😄

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, morespin said:

Which Etymotic in particular? I love in-ear IEMs. Onkyo E700M was the steal of the century at 99 bucks at that level of airy clarity with the bass, but it's discontinued. 

ER4-SR would be the equivalent these days.  ER4-XR if you want more bass. MSRP $299.95.  Or they’re coming out with a new fancy IEM with multiple drivers for $499.95, for which pre-orders are available.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, jcbenten said:

The ER4's are under $200 on Amazon.  That is quite a good price.  I did have the ER4SR but after 18 months one of the drivers came apart.  I do wear them exercising so heavy wear.  I picked up a pair of the ER2XRs and they sound pretty good for $100. 

Once in a while Amazon has these at a steal, and I would absolutely consider under $200 a steal. Maybe getting ready for the new top of the line to hit the market.

• 4 weeks later...

The Etymotics (the ER4P and ER4SR) are known for having reasonably flat audible response (not the same as measured flat, as their response curves will show you, but still pretty accurate even from that standpoint).