IGNORED

Installing Jriver on AO using single pc

Citrus

Hi

As the title says : ) does any one know, or had installed Jriver on AO? So i guess is it basically would it be a straight forward install or otherwise is the obviouse question? Its the possible ‘otherwise’ that concerns me!

i only use one pc so anything server related wouldn’t be relevant.

i plan to use the remote app rather than the Jriver gui on the pc screen.

ive not used AO before so very simple steps would be brilliant if anyone knows this info.

thanks C

By AO, do you mean Audiophile Optimizer on a Windows machine?  Yes, I have AO on my WS2019 server that runs Roon, JRiver and HQPlayer Desktop in the desktop environment (but with a RoonServer shell) with no problems at all. Doing JRiver on a WS2016 machine in core mode is problematic, however, based on my past experience. JCR 

Hi j50

thanks for the reply. Always appreciate any help

This is where i come unstuck. The server thing is really something i dont want to get into.

I dont know what core mode is. Im going so far as to get a good sound from a single pc and dont really want to go further than that.

i would like to install jriver as a UI basically to render the music (even now i dont really know if render is the right term. Well just an audio face I suppose! )

having said that ive been using Hysolid for Wav an flac but want jriver for m4a and mp3. Some songs are difficult to find in HD format.

And having said that further, i tried Jplay again (which i found to harsh before) is actually better in a basic mode rather than pushing things to the limits with xstream etc which is earsplittingly ober harsh in treble stuff )

So as im not sure about installing UI’s on AO (Aud Op) im wodering if its just a case of installing it like a normall pc.

Apologies. Thats a lot of waffle for a simple question.

Getting a bit of Piste here.

Thanks C

On 2/23/2021 at 5:30 PM, Citrus said:

Hi j50

thanks for the reply. Always appreciate any help

This is where i come unstuck. The server thing is really something i dont want to get into.

I dont know what core mode is. Im going so far as to get a good sound from a single pc and dont really want to go further than that.

i would like to install jriver as a UI basically to render the music (even now i dont really know if render is the right term. Well just an audio face I suppose! )

having said that ive been using Hysolid for Wav an flac but want jriver for m4a and mp3. Some songs are difficult to find in HD format.

And having said that further, i tried Jplay again (which i found to harsh before) is actually better in a basic mode rather than pushing things to the limits with xstream etc which is earsplittingly ober harsh in treble stuff )

So as im not sure about installing UI’s on AO (Aud Op) im wodering if its just a case of installing it like a normall pc.

Apologies. Thats a lot of waffle for a simple question.

Getting a bit of Piste here.

Thanks C

AO is not an operating system -- it's an application.  You have to use AO on Windows 10 or some version of Windows Server.  AO optimizes the settings within the operating system to improve audio performance. JRiver and AO do different things and one does not require/interfere with the other.

What you may be thinking about is the shell replacement capability within AO.  Shell replacement strips out the Windows shell, further reducing the activities performed by Windows.  If you're going to use AO, shell replacement is a feature I highly recommend utilizing.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Hi jcn3

Sorry i wasnt very specific with my wording : (

ok start again...

I should have said... after installing AO on one’s pc with Windows 10 (single pc im using) is it a matter of installing a UI ie. Jriver, as with a normal install on W10?

I read about the ‘shell replacement’ thing and was then worried this needed to be done to install any Windows10 program ie Jriver. As im not a pc boff i really dont want to get that involved. I want to listen nice music!

Having mentioned Jriver im know thinking of only using Hysolid and Jplay?

As you know this involves (hopefully ive got this right) using the pc as network players so im wondering if the install would be any different?

(im mentioning again im using a single pc)

Also, with the stripping down of services and as stated ‘reduced security whether it would be safe to use this setup without antivirus?

Thanks Citrus

4 hours ago, Citrus said:

Hi jcn3

Sorry i wasnt very specific with my wording : (

ok start again...

I should have said... after installing AO on one’s pc with Windows 10 (single pc im using) is it a matter of installing a UI ie. Jriver, as with a normal install on W10?

I read about the ‘shell replacement’ thing and was then worried this needed to be done to install any Windows10 program ie Jriver. As im not a pc boff i really dont want to get that involved. I want to listen nice music!

Having mentioned Jriver im know thinking of only using Hysolid and Jplay?

As you know this involves (hopefully ive got this right) using the pc as network players so im wondering if the install would be any different?

(im mentioning again im using a single pc)

Also, with the stripping down of services and as stated ‘reduced security whether it would be safe to use this setup without antivirus?

Thanks Citrus

the process would be (imo):

* install windows

* install JRiver

* configure JRiver

* install AO

* configure AO

* run AO service tool

* strip windows

* run AO service tool

* set shell for JRiver

at each step, confirm everything is working the way you want.

the shell replacement will simply show a black background with just JRiver running. you'll need to get into task manager to run other applications.

within AO, there is an option to keep windows anti-spy running.  i've never had a machine running AO directly connecting to the internet through an application, so i didn't use any antivirus.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Hi jcn3

Much appreciated.

Got it all working. The shell mode was very straight forward.

Need to find out how to get Jplay started automatically but no doubt ill find that out quite soon.

Need to find the antivirus as well.

Maybe you know otherwise but I was a bit disappointed about the harsh treble still which was something i was trying to avoid. Previously id found Jriver quite dull and un exciting but it now sounds harsh.

i thought the whole point of AO was to smooth out the digital treble rasp!

Maybe i need to try the sound profiles. Still early days.

So thanks for the help and above all enjoy your music : )

C