IGNORED

Spotify announces HiFi music streaming

• 1 month later...

I think it's a marketing and market positioning thing.

Spotify's main competition is Apple Music. Spotify announced lossless CD quality. Then, Apple came out with lossless CD and high resolution. If Spotify just follows through on its lossless CD offering, it falls behind on the marketing check boxes and it can't subsidize its pricing through iPhones, iCloud services, etc... 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Just now, audiobomber said:

Finding software that will send Spotify to any UPnP receiver is on topic, IMO. What's the point of paying for full resolution if I have to play it through an inferior network player like Chromecast or an AVR?

I agree with you. Services like Deezer lossless are good and all, but without integration into other apps or a good way to play the lossless on a high end system, it's somewhat meaningless. 

Spotify lossless will be neat, but given Spotify's total control over the interface, unless you're Sonos, it won't be important in HiFi. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

32 minutes ago, matthias said:

I think Lumin has invested a lot of work into their Spotify HiFi implementation, so I can imagine that this would sound pretty good.

Matt

22 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Lumin's investment is also evidence that Spotify HiFi isn't just vapourware.

Absolutely. The issue with it is likely going to be that Spotify requires use of its own app / interface when playing Spotify content. Flipping back and forth between Spotify for streaming and the Lumin app for local is so 2005. I'm sure Lumin would love to integrate it into the app, but Spotify stopped allowing that many years ago. 

I'm eager to use Spotify HiFi with Lumin, but more of a curiosity and in an educational way than anything else. 

• 3 weeks later...