IGNORED

Spotify at full CD resolution

21 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Hifi streaming on Spotify sounds very interesting with great UI, vast music catalog and huge userbase.

I wonder whether every track available on Spotify will become available in HiFi ( full CD resolution stream)?  This move definitely seems to have implications for Apple, Qobuz, Roon, and Tidal in different ways.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

5 hours ago, MarkS said:

I wonder whether every track available on Spotify will become available in HiFi ( full CD resolution stream)?  This move definitely seems to have implications for Apple, Qobuz, Roon, and Tidal in different ways.

Yes and unlike Amazon, Spotify is available on many devices. 

We can probably thank Amazon for spurring Spotify's reaction.  Now Amazon has nothing special to offer.

RIG:  MB Pro - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  - AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 | Cables:  Van Damme, Canare 4S11, Lifatec optical, Wireworld and IsoTek power

4 hours ago, photonman said:

We can probably thank Amazon for spurring Spotify's reaction.  Now Amazon has nothing special to offer.

Except Amazon is offering hi-res files, Spotify is CD quality. That will matter to some people. And then we haven't seen Spotify's pricing.

‚ÄúThe best sounding audio product is the one that exhibits the least audible flaws.‚ÄĚ

Dr. Floyd Toole

21 hours ago, audiobomber said:

...Spotify's pricing

No way Spotify will get into a pricing war with a technology behemoth such as Amazon but I would bet they undercut the other competitors.  My bet is $15.99 USD

RIG:  MB Pro - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  - AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 | Cables:  Van Damme, Canare 4S11, Lifatec optical, Wireworld and IsoTek power

41 minutes ago, photonman said:

No way Spotify will get into a pricing war with a technology behemoth such as Amazon but I would bet they undercut the other competitors.  My bet is $15.99 USD

Not to be nitpicking, but... Qobuz is $14.99 / month and that gets you up to 24/192. It's less if you pay for a full year at a time as well.

No electron left behind...

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

... Qobuz is $14.99 / month and that gets you up to 24/192. It's less if you pay for a full year at a time as well.

In that case, I change my bet to $13.99 / month as most Spotify users would not care about anything more than CD quality and 24/192 is more marketing than audible reality.

The Spotify playlist algorithms, Connect functionality and UI blows away all others.  But there is definitely target segments that care about playlists versus 24/192 and it is great to have choices :)

8 hours ago, photonman said:

In that case, I change my bet to $13.99 / month as most Spotify users would not care about anything more than CD quality and 24/192 is more marketing than audible reality.

The Spotify playlist algorithms, Connect functionality and UI blows away all others.  But there is definitely target segments that care about playlists versus 24/192 and it is great to have choices :)

It's great to have 24/192 streaming but CD quality lossless streaming is good enough especially if you are happy with your DAC's performance.
So, I do find Spotify CD streaming very tempting too and I wouldn't think their pricing would be unreasonable. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Audirvana+3.0 / Qobuz Studio / Mac Mini (256GB SSD - 16GB RAM)

Lindemann Musicbook: 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not to be nitpicking, but... Qobuz is $14.99 / month and that gets you up to 24/192. It's less if you pay for a full year at a time as well.

11 hours ago, photonman said:

Notice how the Amazon Music HD (non-prime) price and Qobuz Studio prices are the same?

Apple Music and Spotify are the same price?

The labels dictate the price...

If Spotify is CD quality only (so far that's the guess) then we can look at Deezer HiFi pricing for a clue.

Interestingly Deezer HiFi is $14.99.. but that may or may not change (drop?) now¬†that the 300 (million) pound gorrilla has entered the chat ¬†ūüėĄ

And yes Tidal is (currently) USD 19.99 . 

That will either get in line with other pricing at some point or maybe it's because they offer something "different" or maybe they are allowed to charge more but not less than what the labels specify.

If TIDAL are actually choosing to stay at that higher price, well may G0d help them to survive.

Qobuz are expanding into more countries this year.

And Amazon Music HD are likely to expand beyond their current 4 countries, now that the 300 million pound gorilla is coming.

image.png.60b810203d0a5056cc4ed25becf03113.png