IGNORED

Spotify at full CD resolution

MarkS

11 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

If both are streaming CD quality then they're streaming the same flies?

Check 2L recordings who only supply Amazon Music HD and Qobuz Studio with MQA...

Deezer CD quality is available right now to test... if somene has an MQA DAC. I would start with testing a 2L recording...

Amazon and Qobuz have no choice with 2L recordings so logic says the same would apply to Deezer now and highly likely Spotify later..

2L is meaningless. It's about a millionth of a percent of the total catalog.

I think there are lots of Amazon HD, Qobuz, and Tidal users who would be happy to switch to Spotify CD quality if they get the huge catalog in CD quality and the Spotify interface.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

31 minutes ago, sbank said:

Many posts seem to imply that Roon and Spotify cooperation is highly unlikely. Does Spotify in CD quality change that dynamic from either party's perspective? 

As a Roon user who currently doesn't use a streaming service, and leans more towards interest in Qobuz, this makes me more interested in getting Spotify thru Roon, as my partner is a diehard Spotify user who already has a Premium subscription. 

AFAIK, the hangup between Roon and Spotify has, till now, had nothing to do with mp3 or CD quality of the streaming. The issue is that Roon sees it's main raison d'etre as it's UI, and wants to integrate the Spotify data into the existing Roon UI (as it does with Tidal and Qobuz).

Spotify isn't willing to give up it's interface - as that's it's main attraction and it's money maker (generating more listens). Some other apps have allowed a separate Spotify interface within their app; so far Roon isn't willing to do this for Spotify. 

For them to work together, somebody has to give in. I don't think it will be Spotify - they are the big player and hold the cards.

I think it will only happen if Spotify hifi starts to attact lots of audiophiles who might otherwise be at Tidal or Qobuz, and if Roon sees this as a threat to it's existence. If Roon doesn't integrate what becomes the dominant lossless/audiophile streaming service, they will have an existential problem.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

25 minutes ago, danadam said:

I'm not sure if Roon requires something more, but on linux there are some alternative clients popping up, for example recently spot and spotify-qt (see pictures below). AFAICT they are based on librespot, which apparently is tolerated by Spotify so far. A comment from two years ago:

spot:

spot001.thumb.png.3cfd586147cbf2d7ae56d9241b61028b.png spot281.thumb.png.e1461c08c0eb2ad6425a94f49e868c51.png spot627.thumb.png.aea5d272d690c5400ed30c8a50fa949e.png

spotify qt:

spotifyqt.thumb.png.342575dba5bae5b8f902b309efd5cf09.png

The issue is that Roon operates with Qobuz and Tidal by getting direct access to their databases and integrating the data seamlessly intertwined with the other Roon results - as if the streaming results come from your local library. 

So Roon will probably need to change for this ever to come about. 

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I love Qobuz, I really do.  BUT, their catalog always disappoints in comparison to Spotify or Apple Music, so I have two audio streaming subscriptions.

But the $64,000 question: will Spotify ever have a cross-platform way to deliver bit perfect output to a DAC a la Roon?  If it's a mobile-only solution, I'll stick with Qobuz and Apple Music.

If you mean integration- like Roon with Tidal and Qobuz - don't think so. Spotify doesn't want to give up their UI. Neither does Roon.  Roon is the junior partner here, so Roon would have  to agree to a separate Spotify interface within Roon.