IGNORED

Spotify at full CD resolution

MarkS

46 minutes ago, Jud said:

So, and I hate to use a 3-letter word here, I wonder if it's going to be normal FLAC or similar, or MQA.

If it is CD quality like below then I imagine FLAC. I don't think Bob would like MQA referred to as CD quality.

I'm pretty sure he believes it is better than CD quality.

image.png.5ec5bb46e1cd80a44a9607a10829ba9f.png

51 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Can't see what is currently being streamed by Deezer HiFi has to do with Spotify's HiFi streaming plans.

If both are streaming CD quality then they're streaming the same flies?

Check 2L recordings who only supply Amazon Music HD and Qobuz Studio with MQA...

Deezer CD quality is available right now to test... if somene has an MQA DAC. I would start with testing a 2L recording...

Amazon and Qobuz have no choice with 2L recordings so logic says the same would apply to Deezer now and highly likely Spotify later..

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

2L is meaningless. It's about a millionth of a percent of the total catalog.

I think there are lots of Amazon HD, Qobuz, and Tidal users who would be happy to switch to Spotify CD quality if they get the huge catalog in CD quality and the Spotify interface.

That's not the point of the discussion.

To have an idea if MQA CD makes it's way to Spotify, you can test 2L recordings on Deezer HiFi now...

You could test Warner but I don't know if those same Warner releases in MQA on Tidal are MQA on Amazon HD...

I do know 2L is MQA on both Amazon HD and Qobuz Studio...

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not to be nitpicking, but... Qobuz is $14.99 / month and that gets you up to 24/192. It's less if you pay for a full year at a time as well.

11 hours ago, photonman said:

No way Spotify will get into a pricing war with a technology behemoth such as Amazon but I would bet they undercut the other competitors.  My bet is $15.99 USD

Notice how the Amazon Music HD (non-prime) price and Qobuz Studio prices are the same?

Apple Music and Spotify are the same price?

The labels dictate the price...

If Spotify is CD quality only (so far that's the guess) then we can look at Deezer HiFi pricing for a clue.

Interestingly Deezer HiFi is $14.99.. but that may or may not change (drop?) now that the 300 (million) pound gorrilla has entered the chat  😄

And yes Tidal is (currently) USD 19.99 . 

That will either get in line with other pricing at some point or maybe it's because they offer something "different" or maybe they are allowed to charge more but not less than what the labels specify.

If TIDAL are actually choosing to stay at that higher price, well may G0d help them to survive.

Qobuz are expanding into more countries this year.

And Amazon Music HD are likely to expand beyond their current 4 countries, now that the 300 million pound gorilla is coming.

image.png.60b810203d0a5056cc4ed25becf03113.png