IGNORED

GUSTARD X26PRO DAC - I2S DAC X GIESEMANN 10M MASTER CLOCK

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@MartinT 

Sure. After approx 40 days (~960hrs) of continuous power on and playing music the X26 Pro now shows its guts. I use it with piCorePlayers (ver. 8.1, Linux ALSA) and the F20 beta fw. It runs flawlessly and sounds great. I started by getting the Gustard U18 USB interface in november 2021 when it was announced. I have had good experience with the earlier U16 and wanted to see what the Gustard team had done with the new hardware along with the K2 clock synthesizer. I was surprised by its sound on internal XO's but I was stunned when using the Mutec REF10 SE120 feeding the time pulse. That led me to also get the X26 Pro. I use three inputs and some times the Blue tooth. I mainly use the U18-HDMI (I2S)-X26Pro. I also use USB input direct on X26Pro and finally a Mutec MC3+USB via AES into the X26 Pro. All those USB inputs uses XMOS chips and sounds good but the U18 -HDMI-X26 Pro wins in all aspects fed bu the Mutec REF10 Master clock. So to upgrade further...add the U18 and feed by the same high quality Master clock.

I think the U18+X26 Pro is one of the best buys out there for the moment. The Gustard team has tuned these devices to be analog sounding. Very well done Gustard! 5 out of 5 on the Combo from me.

/Jan

Both the X26 Pro and the U18 says 50 Ohm in the spec and for X26Pro it is true with both electronics and the correct 50 Ohm BNC connector. U18 has electronics for 50 Ohm but the BNC connector is equipped with a 75 Ohm connector (!?). In my case, I spotted the impedance resistor (R6) and replaced it with an exact 75 Ohm resistor. I have the Mutec Ref10 SE120 so I have both 50 and 75 outputs. Works lika a charm. ..But the K2 synthesizer may in the U18 compensates and rebuilds a damaged shaped time pulse.. I don't know this, so I corrected it anyway

To not damage/ruin the time pulse's shape from a sophisticated  Master clock (Mutec, After Dark..) You need to use TRUE impedance cable + connectors and use as short cables as possible 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@kennyb123

If You don't use the Gustard U18 DDC, I2s (HDMI) with the X26Pro, I strongly advice You to do it. I also use the REF10 SE120 and with the U18 DDC, You will get an additional performance lift. And it is not a subtle one. I am using Gustard's own HDMI cable and the result is amazing.

The U18 is a cheap product but used with a high end External Oscillator like the REF10 SE120 it is bringing "wonders" to the result. I think some of the secrets for this great performance lays in the K2 clock synthesizer, present in both products (U18, X26Pro).

/Jan

I am using NAS servers with stored music and use Raspberry Pi's (4B) with special care for their power supplies (Ultra Silent LPS's) I also use one Class A psu for one of the players. USB cables are of high quality and with silver based conductors. I am using Logotech Media Servers Beta (from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=8.3 ) on Qnap and Netgear NAS, Network player software used is piCorePlayer from here: https://picoreplayer.org/ . I am on version 8.1.

Please. Give the U18 a test at some point in Your setup. Try to borrow a unit and feed via HDMI (I2S) to the x26pro. You will be surprised.

/Jan

I say it again. Upgrade Your U16 to a U18. You will end up a much happier camper..😄

The difference between the U16 and U18 isn't subtle. Fed by a clock like yours will do wonder with your performance, I think the K2 synthesizer in the U18 has some part with the very high end result. Trust me on this.

I am now waiting for my second U18 to replace a U16 with in my headphone rig.

Good to hear. I can assure You the U18 upgrade with a high quality XO as Yours will give You a surprisingly High End sound. 

The U16 is nice but not more. The U18 is many times higher performing

For below USD 500 including delivery You get will get a "hard to beat setup" together with the X26pro. I use the Gustard HDMI cable 0.5m and it is very good too and not expensive.

Please report Your findings...

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Topk said:

What’s the sound signature of the u16 vs u18? The u16 is reputed to be warm sounding. Is that the case of the u18 or is the u18 going into a more detailed/analytical/clean direction, sonically?

With my Mutec REF10 SE120 connected and active with both U18 and X26 Pro, the sound is natural and neutral or realistic or "true" in my rig. Stunningly good for the price asked for U18 and X26 Pro with excellent EXT XO connected.  I use Audio-gd's amping (HE1, Master 3 and 2x Master 2's). Speakers are Quad ESL63's with Gradient SW63 for below 110Hz. Filter for this bi-amping is Gradient's High End Crossover.

With the U18 and X26 Pro using their own internal XO's the sound is still good and well worth their price, but they "shine" with the high end XO bringing a laid back and very airy sound. No complains here.

Your question about "detailed/analytical/clean direction?". The answer is "-No, none of those". The sound is natural and somewhat forgiving. It just sounds right. U18 compared to the U16. U18 is far better in all aspects on its own XO but miles ahead on high level EXT XO.

Hope this helps/Jan