IGNORED

DAC or DAC/preamp

3 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

@DuckTollerHi, we discussed months ago about the purchase of a streamer and a DAC for my audio system. Regarding the recently purchase of the lumin u1 mini the question if it is worthwhile to purchase a DAC/preamp or simple a DAC.  If you ask me the comparisons between rpi4-volumio and lumin u1 mini I would say definitely YES with the latter the music opens wide more flourishing more lively.

Thanks

Nikos

Happy Sunday to Greece, my friend Nikolaos!

First of all, I am happy that you got what you wanted with your u1 mini! I think it is a very sweet spot of gear. I noticed the QNAP NAS as well, which in my opinion gives you some come calm on the digital side of audio. I understand that the DAC now is the next step in question. Which would be your budget for the next step?
If I remember correctly you are using a Cambridge CX 81 (I looked it up in between ;-) with DAC (ES9016K2M) included, correct?

As an option , you may want to discuss the sq difference between the analogue input/external DAC vs internal DAC in a Cambridge forum/ FB group, because you may have better chances to get their anecdotal evidence about the perceived difference.
Please take into account that a DAC should not have "a sound" per se but transfer the digital signal as transparent as possible.
I have heard/read that many implementations of ESS DAC chips tend to sound bright in comparison to the more "mellow" conversion output of AKM DACs, however the best DAC performance I have had recently has been with the Allo Revolution and the ESS9038q2m chip, which beats (in my ears) the ESS chips I have heard (in my system), the AKM4490 and the BB DSD1793 chips (used by iFi). However that DAC is not on the comfort side of things and is more a potent technical and  financial viable solution for audiophiles on a budget, because in the global picture it may lack some comfort standards (Balanced analog outputs, a choice of digital inputs) which would for example disqualify it for your system, because you would want to have a DAC that enables you to use of the balanced inputs of your amplifier.

If you flesh up your digital back end with a DAC equal to the price of your streamer you may reach the limits of the analog front end. I think it will sound excellent whatsoever. but you will know that your analog front end now (may be) getting outclassed by the  quality digital side, because the CX-81 is evidently excellent for it's price but nonetheless a compromise AIO device which may not arrive at the quality of i.E. a MOON pre / amplifier combination or the next level Cambridge separates. Pepping it up with an external DAC at perhaps the same price level as the Integrated may leads you to imbalance.
If you are ready to face that dilemma, I'd advise you to look at RME AD-2 DAC FS, the OKTO DAC8 stereo or into the Denafrips / Holo Audio range of DACs. If you're in for used ones, you may want to look in the range of Armature DACs (Audiophonics house brand) which were offering Denafrips and Holo designs at an interesting price, but have been recently discontinued.
Below the RME (in price) you'll find an armada of chi-fi DAC's which are usually unbeatable by price/performance standards and perfect if you look for checking out designs and chips for yourself (it's akin to smartphones)

Draw a list of what are the features you want from a DAC in order to narrow down your choices. I.e. with u1 mini as source you won't need PCM1536 and DSD1024 as an option, which in turn suits the OKTO (without internal streamer) very much.

Some food for thought - enjoy your Sunday
Tom

Re. Pre-amp function with a DAC:
IMHO this is a feature supporting the shortening of the signal path towards a power amp, which in turn would not help a lot in conjunction of an intergrated amplifier without a passthrough to avoid the analog line stage of the amp. The CX81 works obviously the opposite way, you have a preamp out for using it as preamp only, circumventing the line stage does not seem part of the equation.

Nice project!!
And I am happy that Greece has been appointed to helm that breakthrough.
Sounds like in the future we will have holgographic music perfomances at the beach (inlcluding the necessary social distance! but without the nerving body controls. There will be a bigger logistic project to get the artist's fanbase to selected beaches, but ... )

I have visited some Greek islands in the past and have lovely memoirs from then.
My teenage son visited Corfu last year with his friend's family who are originating from there. One special week without pandemics. He had been as well to Athens with his mum while I was dog keeping (and profited listening to music all over the house and around the clock...)
When travelling returns to a different normal, Greek islands are definitely back on the menu ...

34 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Hi, I was about to purchase Lindenmann bridge or network because its app is very intuitive but I was disappointed because no usb audio is available. My amp is designed to perform at its best sample rate PCM or DSD only with USB audio.

When I was at Lindemanns in May 2019 after I visited them at the MHE, I was informed that the app is only a revetment of the ROON functionality, i.e. a handcrafted surface without any specific functionality. Could you confirm that @mevdinc in real life???

@nikolaos1969 the musicbook features a DAC and delivers an analog signal via XLR balanced to your amplifier XLR in (analog) using the preamp line stage. That is the standard way any DAC would use for forwarding the signal to your amp.

58 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Connecting lumin via usb to DAC and then via DAC XLR analogue output to CXA81 XLR analogue in.

In my opinion, you may prefer the option using the AES/EBU port of the Lumin to an AES/EBU input at the DAC of your choice for DoP or PCM up to 24/192 and USB only for (upsampled) formats of higher bandwith than that. However, you ears need to confirm ...! And you need to find a DAC with AES/EBU below 1k.
For the missing information you ask best where you find a lot of owners of the CX 81, Cambridge forums or owner groups at Facebook for example.

AES/EBU vs. USB - depends on your ears -

Okto - long delivery time & no used market. Available without Pi for less.

ARES II/Denafrips - search Forums here, good choice but maybe overspecced for your system

RME - you can't go wrong ...

Armature - Holo or Denafrips design?

Think, beside format specs, at that price point features like

Display, Remote, Connectivity,

Headphone out, analog stage & volume control, power supply and aesthetical preferences are important, too.

7 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Hi Nick,
If you'll find it used, I'd prefer the Holo Audio Spring I design of the ARMATURE Asterion. Thus, only at half the price of the orihginal offer (est. 750-800 Euros). However they aren't available at the usual sources for used gear, and upon reflection I need to admit that mentioning that brand wasn't one of my most brilliant ideas.
For availability, as well in the used markets, you better look on Denafrips Ares II or the Pontus (reviewed here), as Denefrips has started the pre-order of the Pontus II (2) already.  In case you like the review linked above, there is a sales of the Pontus in Italy ...  I have understood that many Denafrips owner tend to upgrade in the Denafrips line of DACs.
However, that device may fit quite well with the output capability of your U1 mini.

The consequence you may face by integrating these type of quality in your chain could be that the limitation for better sound will change from the digital side to the analog part of your system, and you will never know if this is real or not, without starting upgrading on the analog front end. The crux of our hobby ...

Good luck, Tom

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, motoko_K said:

Another DAC-pre to consider is the new iFi Neo iDSD ~ $700 - it's one of those swiss army knife products and has a headphone amp, too

I'd advise against the Neo iDSD, the single GTO filter is killing MQAlike the sound of music.

And the headphone amp is far away from the qualities you find with the iDSD micro series.