IGNORED

windows server 2012R2 or 2016 or 2019 with Audiophile optimizer?

Mark Labbett

need some advice on what os to use server 2012R@ has the least amount of crap running and from what i gather that is the aim of the optimizing programs, server 2016 has twice as many services running compared to 2012R2 have not tried 2019 . my question is which one actually sounds the best i don't want or need any internet, peoples input in this would be greatly appreciated. I am running 2012R@ and absolutely love it, but can it get better i just don't want to go through all the mucking around if it is going to make next to no difference.Thanks for your time look forward to your advice!

my system gigabyte g1 sniper 4790 cpu 16 gb ram with dac up usb port -> usb Audioquest usb cable -> minimax dac plus(dexa opamps) -> xindac interconects -> rotel rc1550 -> xindac interconects -> rotel rb1582Audioquest Rockefella -> . wharfedale jade 7's

one a side note the gigabyte amp up + dac up usb ports make a incredible difference to the sound

hi mark,

i used a fully optimised server 2012r2 in core mode with c.a.d.skript,only few threads are running.then i  made a 10gb fira ram disk to load the 2012r2 os into ram.

3gb for os, the rest for loading and play music out of ram.  player was bughead.sq was great,i thought.

some years back i bought a jlsounds dac,with no dsd256  in windows, only dsd 128 DoP,but full linux support

so i tried linux Daphile. wow, what a sound! i never would go back to windows!

i use also a gibabyte z97 g1 sniper,top board!

Gigabyte-GA-Z97 Sniper with separate usb-dac out,5v usb-power disabeld in Bios. i3 4130T(35 W)@800mhz,16gb ram@800mhz @1.25v. Cpu+Ram powered by Pico-160w+Voltcraft Lab.PSU.

Cpu-Fan+Music Hdd with 2 separate  LPsu. JLsounds Dac-Kit: USB-I2S XMOS-board+ AK4490 DAC+DVR603 FB+2 JLS LPSU. Player: wtfplay and Daphile

Tubeamp: Lua 4040 C . LS: Chario Academy II. Conections/Filters: Reson DNM / Fisch Audio.

Thanks for your reply what would you say is the big difference in sound from 2012R2 to 2019 I have installed 2016 and immediately noticed that there was double the process’s running compared to 2012R2 that kind of killed it for me as I thought that the less process’s running in the background was the holy grail, I have a laptop that I can use to test but just out of curiosity how many processes does it run and is that with internet ( I don’t use internet) on 2016R2  it runs 25 processes. 

Well, I have 44 background processes running on WS2019 machine just now. But, it is running Roon, JRiver and HQPlayer Desktop, along with VNC Connect for remote access. I find WS2019 to have better sound than either of the prior versions and it’s been very easy to work with and update as required. JCR 

I’ve been a Windows guy for many years. I have a lot of software I’ve invested in that is for Windows, and it’s the operating system I’m comfortable with. For me, I’ve achieved amazing results in our home sound systems, so I of course would recommend using a Windows or Windows Server platform. Others will disagree!  Have fun organizing your new system. Cheers. JCR 

Same for me! WinServer 2019 core with AO3.0 = 23 processes and about 300 plus threads 9800 Handles. And I did not go into the Registry. Just let AO3.0 do it for me with a further bit of Task Mgr and close off the easy to close processes.

Also just did a Windows LTSC fresh install into another SSD as OS. About 55 processes or so.

Bottom Line is Windows Server 2019 Core beats the pants off Windows LTSC which is again better than Win 10 Pro. WinServer 2016 Core with AO2 is somewhere around LTSC but noticeably quieter.

When someone said that Digital is not as quiet in the HF ranges compared to Analogue I understand well what they mean as I still run a TT system. It is in the tuning of the Digital system with OS, Grounding Linear DC Power (LT3045) and other tweaks that makes excellent digital sound happen. Of course the ESS Sabre sound is there but I just switched to the AK4499 which is better in the HF region.

So I recommend you go for a Windows Server with at least the WinServer 2019 GUI OS. AO3 is necessary too. Good Luck.

bTW I tried Linux for a while. The command line and other typing stuff is not for me. I just want to play music not be a IT professional doing command line stuff.

• 7 months later...

I would like to add my comment.

I didn't feel windows 10 pro + A03  + Fidelizer  Pro was realizing the true potential of my rig.

So as a test I installed WS2019  Essentials on another very ancient laptop.

I installed just TIDAL only.

Without any tweaking , this OS has blown me away. A 10 year old heap and it sounds significantly better than my 1 year old laptop.

It seems WS2019 is a no brainer - But then everybody does recommend it.

• 2 months later...

I am currently an AO 3.0 user with WS2019 Standard Edition.   I am about to run out of resets on Jan 23rd 2022.

Can anyone recommend where to purchase an OEM Standard license online please?

Also, I think I read a post some time ago where AO was talking about changing some settings to make the PC think the WS2019 software was Essentials and not Standard.    The Essentials license being 1/2 the price of the Standard.   

Can anyone point me in the direction of such a post please.    

Regards Cazzesman

While I stand behind what I said, my real point is, that there is no one size fits all. Don’t trust anybodies else ears. Listen yourself. Or in my case, I choose ears I trust. It’s always good to hear different opinion to challenge yourself. However, listening is subjective like food. Why would I go to McDonalds once I know it’s awful. So I eat every day in a 3star Michelin. Same cook. Love it. Haha

2 hours ago, NewOldman said:

just reinstall Server 2019 GUI, and skipp AO if you want it to sound as real as possible, AO Just makes everything more digital and steril and un natrual

I think you and I are the only ones in the world that feel this way.  I cannot get AO or Fidelizer to sound anything but bad for me.  I've tried multiple dedicated audio PC's and every operating system out there.  Windows Server 2016 GUI is the best sounding for me.