IGNORED

ssd for roon rock nuc

34 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I highly recommend  you switch to NAS for media storage, it will sound better than direct connected drives, including M.2 SSD

two Ethernet ports on the NAS which can be bridged  for greater throughput speed is a nice to have feature.

There will be some low level NAS fan noise with regular HD's, SSD will run cooler/quieter but costs more with no significant

SQ improvement but a definite improvement in library scan speed.

Can you elaborate on the "sounding better" comment?  Roon server with local storage vs NAS - is this just your experience or some universally agreed upon method?  Also curious - if one is using a nuc or whatever core server is direct to DAC or separated?

Multiple options here:

- NAS (music) > core server > endpoint > DAC

- NAS (music) > core server > DAC

- core server w/ internal storage for library > endpoint > DAC

- core server w/ internal storage for library > DAC

My rig

9 minutes ago, parnass said:

thank you for advice, but i don't  think it would be possible, because the nuc will be connected to switch (from switch to streamer), so there isn't  another ethernet port in nuc

I think he meant the NAS is connected to switch as well and the nuc/roon settings are set to pull from NAS (library settings)

My rig

I think many good points here and will be situation specific.  I would sort of summarize my understanding with this. 

• If you are attaching the server, whether it be an audio PC, roon core (rock same/similar thing) direct to DAC, much work is needed to make sure all bases are covered with regard to noise +power with whatever interface you are attaching to DAC et al.  The well built DIY fanless servers or the Innuos types going direct to DAC use internal storage in many cases I have seen.
  • If you are using server in a 2 pc setup or a server to endpoint, I think using a NAS or direct storage in the server (secondary internal HD) both are valid solutions - I don't recall anyone stating either one is better in this scenario.  If that's not the case I sure would be interested to reading about that.  I will say as @parnass pointed out, the roon team has indicated a NAS in certain situations are not to their liking.  However, many have used them (myself included) without out any issues - again some of the NAS situations that roon referred to are specific. 

I recently moved to a new server with one large HD internally which sits next to network rack in util room as I use fiber to listening room to an endpoint (HQP NAA).

My rig