IGNORED

Great sounding system - $2K all in

Rexp

41 minutes ago, One and a half said:

And all that from a you tube audio, what a load of BS.

Perhaps it was just starting to warm up after only 9 minutes and 9 seconds ? 😉😉

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which video?

ALL of the Youtube videos with 128kb/s .aac audio that you keep making these claims for !

How do you play them through your Bookshelf speakers ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

53 minutes ago, fas42 said:

if I suspect that the YT data could give me more info, I DL the Opus audio, which gives me the best, 20kHz version; convert that to a WAV file, and play that in one of my better media players - on the laptop.

Once again you prove my point. You are playing them through tiny little Laptop speakers that have buggerall frequency response below 100Hz and above about 11kHz.

I would bet that you haven't even done that with the vast majority of YouTube videos that you are replying to, where Opus audio as an OUTPUT format isn't an option either.

The only way that I can directly play the pathetic 128kb/s .aac Youtube audio which is limited to around 16kHz via my main system, is to use the WiFi dongle of my Oppo 103

Please post a screen grab of the Audio Spectrum  of one of these Opus Audio captures . I don't doubt that some use Opus for encoding as high as 20kHz but it appears that it is still  restricted to 128kB/s for playback

See also this discussion :

youtube-dl: Download Opus audio or AAC audio? - Super User

24 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ummm, nothing below 200Hz 😉 - but where do you get this nonsense about lacking treble output? Any headphone, no matter how cheap, can easily pump out high frequencies - tiny drivers are perfectly at ease with delivering this sort of sound.

I have previously posted Frequency spectrum response graphs of typical small Laptop speakers.

Unless your laptop cost over $2K you will also have a similar limitation. There is usually a very larger dip at just over 10kHz.

Even my fairly expensive ATH M70x which claim a response to 40kHz have this typical dip, but way less than typical inexpensive headphones. 

ATH M70x.jpg

26 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It's not the user that decides to use Opus; it's done as part of the automatic YouTube processing of the upload, it seems.

Which is as I said, and 128kb/s .aac audio is typically limited to around 16kHz maximum which is even inferior to FM  Stereo.

Opus Audio is mainly used for encoding at lower bit rates than .aac audio. 

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Tell me, if you talk to someone you know over that ultra, ultra primitive, lo-res phone system - do you have any trouble picking up that they are not in a good mood; that they are a bit off-colour; that they are not "their usual self"?

That  ultra primitive, lo-res phone system  is a result of bandwidth constraints developed by Engineers before the availability of later generation Fibre Optic cables, the same commercial interests that saw AM Radio downgraded from 15kHz to 9kHz ( or less) the use of .mp3 carts for FM stereo , and now the use of crappy 128kb/s .aac audio for many DTV transmissions , despite the capability of HDTV to have 5.1 Dolby or multi channel DTS.

The same greedy commercial interests  have now even dumbed down high resolution Audio formats using bloody MQA.

Analogue Telephony, after the advent of Rocking Armature receivers, and Electret microphones to replace the older carbon types had a vastly higher quality capability, at least in the Sydney Au. network. . 

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

What? Have you actually set up a microphone, in front of a laptop speaker, to capture what its output is?

"Google is your friend " (Supposedly 😉)

Try using the search facility , or locate my original post i a reply to you where I showed a typical laptop frequency response.

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Opus on YT is 160kb/s; which is superior to other encoders working at a similar rate.

So what ? They could have used 529kb/s .aac Audio which is vastly superior,and VERY close to CD quality,  and would have only needed transcoding to 128kb/s without a format conversion.

In any event, the output is STILL only a miserable 128kb/s .aac audio

45 minutes ago, fas42 said:

What are we arguing here, Alex? YT is what it is - you work out the best method for extracting audio, from something uploaded - and use that ...

NO !

Conventional wisdom is to start off with the highest possible permissible Youtube file resolution and then translate that to the required bit rate and format. Starting off with 529kb/s .aac will invariably result in a better sounding conversion to 128kb/s .aac by Youtube than starting off with, for example, 160kb/s Opus where you have already discarded quite a bit of the original data.

P.S. 

I t appears that Youtube doesn't want you to use decent quality audio to start with.

Select your download audio quality

1. In the YouTube Music app, tap on your profile picture.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Tap Downloads & storage.
  4. Tap Audio quality.
  5. Select your download quality:
    • Low
      • Uses least storage on your device
      • Bitrate: 48kbps AAC
    • Normal
      • Default setting
      • Bitrate: 128kbps AAC
    • High
      • Higher-quality audio will use more storage on your device 
      • Bitrate: 256kbps AAC

12 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Okay, this is about your belief that 529kb/s is accessible via some means,

No. It's about GI=GO which is apparently what Youtube wants because of demands by VEVO in particular so that people buy the recordings in the videos, not save those they have downloaded. It's no surprise that they have optimised the Video though to attract attention.

Transcoding the 128kb's .aac audio to 24/48 LPCM does however result in a worthwhile improvement in Audio quality as even Dennis (esldude) verified a while back.

Check out the example of this I posted back on page 1 of this thread.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live) as mentioned in another thread .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w41d4t6u1gv1ypx/The Good%2C the Bad and the Ugly - The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live)-0x0002.aac?dl=0

A conversion to 24/48 LPCM helps it a bit, although in theory it shouldn't be able to do this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq2dlunh9v11jlm/The Good%2C the Bad and the Ugly - The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live).wav?dl=0

15 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I do that all the time, also - I take one of my CDs to play on another person's system ... oh man, that sounds bad!! ... Must be the recording, of course!! 🙃

More likely it is EXPECTATION Bias .😄

29 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I would very much expect them to sound a touch different.

Why should they sound improved, NOT just a little different? 

.aac is a LOSSY format and you shouldn't , at least in theory, appear to be able to obtain a little extra info from both ends of the spectrum as Dennis also reported in one of his replies. Why can't the same apply as in my previous reply if the files are regenerated using an optimised PSU etc. ?

Let's not go there again though.😉

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

that's why you have the madness of a thousand and so variations of parameters, to "make it better" ... just ask Peter, 😉

I don't need to ask Peter. My reports in this area predated his, with Peter originally saving some test files that I supplied to a member of his Phasure forum.( Jeff was a CSIRO Scientist from Brisbane)

Can we now please get back to the topic of this thread ?

33 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I tried processing the .aac version -- you judge...   It appears that the recording was compressed a little, which causes some troubles in louder passages...

As I previously mentioned , Youtube appears to use additional compression on most material.

The 16kHz limitation of 128kb/s .aac  hasn't helped either, as has Youtube's requirement of no more than 256kb/s .aac source material.

In fact, the Youtube version of what could have been a very good performance if available on a well MASTERED DVD or BluRay leaves a helluva lot to be desired unless perhaps you are listening to it in a car.  

Yes, your decompressed version does sound a little better, but I deliberately avoided using any additional processing other than conversion to LPCM to show that 128kb/s .aac audio can be improved to a small extent.

😉

2 hours ago, John Dyson said:

I tried processing the .aac version -- you judge...   It appears that the recording was compressed a little, which causes some troubles in louder passages...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz6dwf33htkjfz4/The Good%2C the Bad and the Ugly - The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live)-0x0002.wav?dl=0

Forget Youtube, which only makes MQA sound good.

This is how The Danish National Orchestra should have sounded . It's in the original 24/48

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5lb3graj95xk9p/17. Who Wants to Live Forever (From ''Highlander'').wav?dl=0

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

he's been experimenting with coupling caps in his Naim amps - will see what special stuff has been unleashed by these mods, 😀

The best sounding  coupling caps are NO coupling caps.

I.O.W. D.C. coupled 

15 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

but that the human mind can somehow reverse the damage that's been done through poor recording, editing, or mastering techniques.

Tom

That may be true to a small extent, as in my case, due to hearing damage and the Acoustic Neuroma pressing  on my right ear canal, occasionally, especially when my BP is a little elevated, it can take a short period before my hearing 

" locks in",  especially  to voices with accents, a bit like an electronic P.L.L. (Phase Lock Loop) locking in, but taking a little longer. 

Perhaps Frank also has some degree of hearing damage ?

Alex