IGNORED

Great sounding system - $2K all in

Rexp

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Which shows that people are focusing on the 'wrong' things, when they assess the competence of a rig - the La Scala setup is projecting an enormous sense of space, especially around the instruments, and voice; everything is completely individual, and is pin sharp on the particular stage it's on. Which is exactly how it was recorded; that's the true nature of the track - anything that "smallifys", clumps it together, and blurs the clarity of elements in the picture is getting it wrong ... if you want your own favourite staging of the recording, that's fine - but it's not what was created in the mix ... 🙂.

I was joking, the camera and mic are moving during the recording hence the soundstage is moving too.. :)

37 minutes ago, fas42 said:

At the other end you get everything, but the absolute bare minimum distortion of what was recorded is added to the mix. In the middle, all the detail is coming through, but a disturbing level of anomalies is added, from shortcomings in the playback chain.

Didn't you say (about 'the other end'):

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Finally, where only a few people get to, is the right side, the end of the curve, where the system is now fully competent - and virtually every recording is a pleasure to listen to

37 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Euphonic means that that all recordings are flavoured the same - the better the playback, the more every recording sounds different from the previous one - but they never sound "bad"

Believe me, there are lots of bad recordings out there, possibly more of them than of good ones.. and if one can't hear that, something isn't quite right.

Ps. @fas42 Why don't you use your active speakers with your laptop if I may ask.?

22 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Tell me, if you talk to someone you know over that ultra, ultra primitive, lo-res phone system - do you have any trouble picking up that they are not in a good mood; that they are a bit off-colour; that they are not "their usual self"?

Yes I can also hear eg if a song is sad or jolly but I don't want to hear none of them through a phone anyway (I get nervous when I'm forced to)..:)

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

A multi kilo $$$ system should sound better than a youtube clip, does it.?  9_9

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

If it's working impeccably, then it should show no symptoms of anything less than such, on a mere YT video ...

Did you listen to both clips, what do you think, eg in which case you can hear more detail.?

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Doesn't work that way ... if the distortion is clear in the YT version, then the extra detail that will be picked up by playing it on a more accurate setup can't compensate for the shortcomings

I'm pretty sure the music played on the Kharma system was at least lossless 16bit, possibly hi-res. I'm not asking about any theory, just asking what you hear.

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Another titbit to throw in 🤪 ... lots of audio people are obsessed with "signatures" - the distinctiveness of how a particular rig sounds. Well, as soon as you've identified a system's 'signature' - you've lost. Huhh?? ... well, you're now listening to the system, not the recording - game over!

The "perfect" system has zero signature - it's 100% chameleon; not one, tiny trace of any 'personality' - no matter how hard you try and grab onto any minuscule trace of character ... it's never there, 😜.

Just my last two cents before I leave:

What if the 'signature sound' is enjoyable.? B|