IGNORED

Great sounding system - $2K all in

Rexp

Well discovered! ... Telling for me was the Led Zep track - nicely handled, got the tonalities coming through very cleanly - though, Yet Again, I hear that ol', ol' syndrome of the SQ degrading after a certain time - the vocal in the last(?) track, with guitar, has a thick, choked quality to it ... this loss of clarity after a period of running time is so common - and often is not easily sorted ...

41 minutes ago, One and a half said:

And all that from a you tube audio, what a load of BS.

Perhaps it was just starting to warm up after only 9 minutes and 9 seconds ? 😉😉

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Isn’t the room a bit small for these kind of dipole speakers.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

11 hours ago, One and a half said:

And all that from a you tube audio, what a load of BS.

Which is telling that people don't know how to use captures of sound to evaluate what is not working correctly ... it's trivially easy to point to video clips of sound systems, on the net, which sound very impressive; and then to ones which sound downright awful - the next step is to apply your noggin to the situation, and work out what's bugging you in the latter one.

Everyone is obsessed with hearing "How great!!" something is - sometimes, all that's needed is to hear that it doesn't sound great, and think about why that is so ...

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Which is telling that people don't know how to use captures of sound to evaluate what is not working correctly ... it's trivially easy to point to video clips of sound systems, on the net, which sound very impressive; and then to ones which sound downright awful - the next step is to apply your noggin to the situation, and work out what's bugging you in the latter one.

Everyone is obsessed with hearing "How great!!" something is - sometimes, all that's needed is to hear that it doesn't sound great, and think about why that is so ...

Yes, does it sound pleasant or unpleasant. That is the main thing I look for in a Youtube video. The majority of high end digital systems fall into the unpleasant catagory as per this channel:

https://youtube.com/channel/UC06sFy9NM9XPWQOmwBnj9Gw

I  agree with @sandyk here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57catq2met7azyt/Soundgraden.mp4?dl=0

Try this - a phone recording (Samsung S8) of 20th Anniversary Edition of Superunknown by Soundgarden (96/24 version of Black Hole Sun).

Not the best but it gets the point across.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

22 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Much more stable sounstaging than in case of La Scalas.. ;)

Which shows that people are focusing on the 'wrong' things, when they assess the competence of a rig - the La Scala setup is projecting an enormous sense of space, especially around the instruments, and voice; everything is completely individual, and is pin sharp on the particular stage it's on. Which is exactly how it was recorded; that's the true nature of the track - anything that "smallifys", clumps it together, and blurs the clarity of elements in the picture is getting it wrong ... if you want your own favourite staging of the recording, that's fine - but it's not what was created in the mix ... 🙂.

21 hours ago, Rexp said:

Yes, does it sound pleasant or unpleasant. That is the main thing I look for in a Youtube video. The majority of high end digital systems fall into the unpleasant catagory as per this channel:

https://youtube.com/channel/UC06sFy9NM9XPWQOmwBnj9Gw

I'm curious now, as to what you're looking for ... for example, this is an accurate rendition of this sort of track, to my ears, using classic branded components,

What do you feel is being got wrong, here?

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Which shows that people are focusing on the 'wrong' things, when they assess the competence of a rig - the La Scala setup is projecting an enormous sense of space, especially around the instruments, and voice; everything is completely individual, and is pin sharp on the particular stage it's on. Which is exactly how it was recorded; that's the true nature of the track - anything that "smallifys", clumps it together, and blurs the clarity of elements in the picture is getting it wrong ... if you want your own favourite staging of the recording, that's fine - but it's not what was created in the mix ... 🙂.

I was joking, the camera and mic are moving during the recording hence the soundstage is moving too.. :)

20 hours ago, sandyk said:

Sorry Frank. but a Youtube  clip with 128kb/s .aac audio is INCAPABLE of giving a good representation of ANY high quality system, for starters because it needs to be captured again using at least decent quality Stereo Microphones in an optimised listening room ,digitised again using a decent quality A/D converter,(and that rules out most USB recorders) and then is limited by the HF bandwidth from Youtube's  only 128kb/s .aac audio which limits HF response to typically 16 kHz.

e.g. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live) as mentioned in another thread .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w41d4t6u1gv1ypx/The Good%2C the Bad and the Ugly - The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live)-0x0002.aac?dl=0

A conversion to 24/48 LPCM helps it a bit, although in theory it shouldn't be able to do this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq2dlunh9v11jlm/The Good%2C the Bad and the Ugly - The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live).wav?dl=0

Alex, as I've said many, many times ... a YT clip can't convey all the good qualities - but its standard is good enough to easily pick a sub-par presentation ... the latter is what the exercise is about; noting what's wrong ... not what's right ...

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

I'm curious now, as to what you're looking for ... for example, this is an accurate rendition of this sort of track, to my ears, using classic branded components,

What do you feel is being got wrong, here?

Nothing wrong here, although the track is quite simple. The system does less well with this track:

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Alex, as I've said many, many times ... a YT clip can't convey all the good qualities - but its standard is good enough to easily pick a sub-par presentation ... the latter is what the exercise is about; noting what's wrong ... not what's right ...

Yes, does the clip sound like music or noise. YT makes this quite clear. 

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

Nothing wrong here, although the track is quite simple. The system does less well with this track:

Fair enough. This is a recording which is a pretty severe test of any rig - including my own, 🙂. First, the system has to have the ability to extract all the detail; then that detail has to have nothing added - this genre of music requires absolutely pristine playback to properly deliver; because of the nature of the recording gear, and how it's been mixed - and here it's caught short. This is quite often the standard of replay of that audio friend up the road, when I turn up - and then we investigate what tweaks are necessary to lift the standard; to retrieve full 'sweetness', 😉.

Remember this is they gen that puts STACKS papers on his speaker and believes it helps......

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects