IGNORED

Better path - improve cabling or upgrade server behind network streamer?

I am sure this has been discussed in many places but I can't find a specific thread.  In the next 6 to 12 months, I want to take some steps to upgrade my digital front end.   Options are to 1) upgrade USB and ethernet cabling or 2) upgrade my MacMini to something like a SonicTransporter I5.  

My understanding is that the chain after the EtherRegen is more important than the music server.  That leads me to think think that upgrading cabling will bring more value than replacing the MacMini.  On the other hand, with this MacMini, I can only upsample to DSD64 in HQP/Roon and it doesn't have a LPS.  A new server could allow me to increase the upsampling rate and eliminate a SMPS from the chain.  

Are there opinions on which upgrade path offers more benefit?  Thanks in advance for any comments and insights.  

P.S.  Current setup includes 2012 MacMini with i7 processor (no LPS), Ether Regen, UltraRendu, two Uptone LPS 1.2s (one for Rendu and one for EtherRegen), Supra ethernet cable from Regen to UltraRendu, Phasure Lush (version 1) USB cable from Rendu to Holo Audio Spring DAC.  Software is HQP/Roon

• 5 months later...

The SonicTransporter I5i s a great choice for upgrade path from the Mac Mini. Small Green Computer has in my experience excellent support and brings great value to the table. I own an older version I5 and am very happy with it. I'm using it to run Roon 1.8 core server. It's LINUX OS provides a better operating system platform for Roon core server than Windows 10 or Mac OS  as many of the unneeded SW components which add to complexity of running the device are not present in it's implementation.

Best bet is to eliminate all UBS cabling from your system if possible and just connect to the DAC via direct Ethernet connection but it does not appear your DAC supports this.

I'm using a Mytek Manhattan II DAC with Ethernet/Roon interface card and have found Ethernet the best way to connect music streams to the DAC. You could pick up a used one with a Ethernet/Roon card for about $4k.

I'm using Blue Jeans CAT6 Ethernet cables which provides a Fluke Networks test document with each cable to insure it meets specs, something I have not seen with more expensive audiophile cables. 

On 2/15/2021 at 11:18 PM, Ellsworth said:

Are there opinions on which upgrade path offers more benefit?

OpticalRendu ? Which require a good PS. 
An Aftderdark clock to your EtherRegen powered by the left over LPS-1.2. 

This should be better than a Sonictransporter i5.

The Mac can be upgraded with a special power from Uptone. 
If you go Sonictransporter, you should verify that the HQplayer embedded is sufficient for you. You may need the i9 version. 

Per SGC website, the I5 also supports HQPlayer.

sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3) – Small Green Computer

"The sonicTransporter i5 runs Roon Core Server, HQPlayer (embedded), Squeezebox Server, Plex Media Server and MinimServer (DLNA server). "

If your budget permits, get the SONICTRANSPORTER I9 OPTICAL @$2599.00. Going optical signal path will gain the most benefit as well as having uber capacity and up sampling capability in the I9 unit. 

On 2/15/2021 at 5:18 PM, Ellsworth said:

I am sure this has been discussed in many places but I can't find a specific thread.  In the next 6 to 12 months, I want to take some steps to upgrade my digital front end.   Options are to 1) upgrade USB and ethernet cabling or 2) upgrade my MacMini to something like a SonicTransporter I5.  

My understanding is that the chain after the EtherRegen is more important than the music server.  That leads me to think think that upgrading cabling will bring more value than replacing the MacMini.  On the other hand, with this MacMini, I can only upsample to DSD64 in HQP/Roon and it doesn't have a LPS.  A new server could allow me to increase the upsampling rate and eliminate a SMPS from the chain.  

Are there opinions on which upgrade path offers more benefit?  Thanks in advance for any comments and insights.  

P.S.  Current setup includes 2012 MacMini with i7 processor (no LPS), Ether Regen, UltraRendu, two Uptone LPS 1.2s (one for Rendu and one for EtherRegen), Supra ethernet cable from Regen to UltraRendu, Phasure Lush (version 1) USB cable from Rendu to Holo Audio Spring DAC.  Software is HQP/Roon

I am curious. Have you compared going USB direct into the Holo DAC with 768/24 upsampling from HQPlayer or PGGB file conversion? 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 2/15/2021 at 4:18 PM, Ellsworth said:

Options are to 1) upgrade USB and ethernet cabling or 2) upgrade my MacMini to something like a SonicTransporter I5.  

I think other people have provided their excellent opinions.

To me, the question is why just these two options. If you’re looking at bang for the buck for speakers listening, I think you’ll get more either learning to build your own convolution filter with Audiolense or Acourate or hiring somebody to build one for you.