IGNORED

Digital Signal Transmission

TomJ

14 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Not only because they may present a cleaner (regenerated) signal, but because they will just have a different radiation pattern. Ehm, for better or for worse, because definitely no manufacturer is taking that into account; this is totally out of our control, which is already caused by how devices are inter-linked.

Rob Watts talks about RF all the time for years now on Head-Fi forum. He describes it like a "fungus" that gets to all parts of a DAC. Increases IM distortion 

5 hours ago, Miska said:

IMO, SINAD alone is as useless figure as any other number taken out of context. I don't think it helps saving $$$.

This is true but we all know which site made SINAD a focus but let's not forget his APx555 measures a bunch of other things too, not SINAD alone...

His measurements have caught one company getting maximum SINAD at the cost of much higher than normal output impedance.

7 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Sadly, No. There is no such thing as noise to be measured in the context of audio data, as the HF protocol frequency data *is* noise to the audio domain. There's really nothing to measure there.

Tom didn't mention anything about audio domain there though ?

He only said "- Noise reduction - could be measured"

And last update I saw a couple years ago was John Swenson is custom building a very high resolution A to D to be able to show these (noise?) measurements? If it was only audio domain then I don't think he would be going to such efforts...

3 hours ago, Confused said:

Slightly off topic I know (not that this thread is on topic anymore), but could I ask which manufacturer you are referring too in the above.  It is an interesting comment, because in my experience there is a very real relationship between output impedance and certain aspects of sound quality.  (I am assuming the above refers to an amplifier or maybe a headphone amp) 

It's a bit silly we can't post links to the site here but here it is and here is Amir's comment about it.

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m400-balanced-usb-mqa-dac-review.13732/

image.png.6c213671359082b1bf585f86539c6888.png

So he's not just talking about it's SINAD of 121dB, so I'm not sure why people just seem to talk like this is the only measurement he shares.