IGNORED

The small Roon poll.

R1200CL

What device is your primary Roon control ?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After reading all the critics about 1.8, I noticed quite many use PC or Mac as Roon controller. So I was wondering if this is the main way for quite many how they play and control music. I was more expecting something handheld. So I created a poll. And while on to it, I added some other questions. 

AS far as controller goes, I use both the Roon Control GUI on my linux desktop, usually when I am listening at my desk, and my iPad in the listening room. I post pictures of my desktop listening more often than I do from the iPad just because I am usually at my computer and surfing the forum at the same time, or near enough to it, that I remember to do it. It's super simple with Roon to pick different endpoints to play to.

No electron left behind.

43 minutes ago, bluesman said:

For me, the unasked question of most importance is whether I was surprised at the number of changes, oversights, errors, omissions, and inconsistencies in a product whose most endearing characteristic (at least for me) has been its sophisticated, coherent, and user friendly nature from inception to now. 

Hard to put in a poll, so only a yes/no about like 1.8. 

What surprised me was what seems to be a lack of beta testers, as they had to do an emergency repair within 24 hours. 
Also user guide isn’t updated (last I checked). Before user guide was quite good at Roon site. Now it’s almost lacking.

Hopefully videos will come.  (By reviewers). 

I’m expecting several updates the coming weeks. There seems to be a few issues many has reacted about. Especially this AND vs OR in Focus. That’s really not logical at all. As a minimum you must be given a choice. 

It also seems to be very easy to customize more by using the settings menu. I hope this will happen. 
When I see how easy color can be edited, it shouldn’t be to hard to implement. What I don’t know is how much harder it would be on iDevices etc.

I also noticed a major issue is layout. Should be easy to fix. Didn’t the team said already in release mails, this will be changed the coming weeks ? More albums showing on iPad as an example. 

Maybe the changes made on core takes time to show how they can be useful in the UI ? There may be a lot of changes in the core we don’t understand or know about, and will be deployed later. 

If people can name 1 to 3 best and/or 1 to 3 worst things about 1.8 may be helpful. (I couldn’t make that as a poll either 😀). 

And one or two feature requests.

I like radio (the real radios) now show up as a choice on first page.

I don’t like lack of MQA and resolution information under albums. The available information isn’t matching up with signal path for MQA, so it’s a mess. It’s not consistent. I’m also missing Tida/Qobuz sign in radio on albums. As well as other info about file type. (Without extra clicks). 

I don’t like the placement of blue button showing signal path. It should be on right side. (Maybe the programmer was left handed 😂). 

My user request is implementation of podcasts. 
And why can’t DR numbers be showed on streaming music. Why only local files. 

6 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

I gotta admit to ignorance on this topic but what does HQ Player add to my musical benefit?

Depends on your dac, frankly.  HQPlayer is a leading upsampling engine, and especially if your dac can go into NOS mode (i.e don't upsample within the dac, which at best uses a small processor and cheap upsampling parts).  That way you can use some sort of powerful computer to do the heavy lifing (upsampling and/or remodulating within HQPlayer) and your dac to simply do what it does best, convert the data you send it, at hopefully it's sweetspot, to analog).  

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

For me, the unasked question of most importance is whether I was surprised at the number of changes, oversights, errors, omissions, and inconsistencies in a product whose most endearing characteristic (at least for me) has been its sophisticated, coherent, and user friendly nature from inception to now.  The answer is a resounding YES!  I think a lot of us who consider Roon to be our default music management system are both shocked and dismayed that 1.8 contains a healthy dose of the unpleasantness we left behind in migrating to it from other programs.

Roon has been my main music management program for some time now.  Especially after reviewing it for AS two surprisingly long years ago in a comparison with JRiver Media Center, I've come to think of Roon Labs as being current, lithe, understated, solid, reliable, responsive, intuitive, flexible, and a solidly going concern.  I hope and believe that this is still correct and that the myriad of new issues is rapidly remedied.

We have the first major example of a Roon update that requires their urgent attention.  Just as Apple has often had to patch iOS within hours of a release because of an undetected or previously ignored problem set, Roon really needs to patch 1.8 or replace it with 1.9 ASAP to restore the elegance.  Hopefully unike the plethora of iOS issues, this will turn out to have been an isolated and non-recurring event.  This is only one strike and (to me) not a reason to find another team to support.  The music sounds as good as ever.

I'm not overly optimistic they will make a lot of the changes many people want in the layout/graphics. The Roon guys seem to be very convinced that their design choices are superior, and they also don't seem to want anyone "messing up" THEIR interface.

That said, I do think they will fix some of the functional issues that people have commented on.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

56 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Depends on your dac, frankly.  HQPlayer is a leading upsampling engine, and especially if your dac can go into NOS mode (i.e don't upsample within the dac, which at best uses a small processor and cheap upsampling parts).  That way you can use some sort of powerful computer to do the heavy lifing (upsampling and/or remodulating within HQPlayer) and your dac to simply do what it does best, convert the data you send it, at hopefully it's sweetspot, to analog).  

Thanks for the reply!!   Then I know it's not for me as I do not attend the church of MHz.....hell there is supposed proof that even  High Res KHz is only recognized less than 50% of the time .....

Thanks again!

Larry  

Larry, this is not about the questionable sq improvements of hirez recordings over their redbook counterparts; this is about giving your dac the best shot at reproducing the music that is on your files..regardless of their sample rate or bit depth.  What is your dac?

Edit: let's take this over to the HQPlayer thread so we don't hijack this poll.

Well my DAC is a Schiit Yggdrasil A2 mod.  I also use convolutions in Roon Core for my Room Correction as I moved away from Mini DSP and Dirac.  If Roon supplies my Audio system bit perfect reproduction of my Ripped files I don’t know what more I could ask for…Heck I’m even starting to enjoy 1.8 !!

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have a feature request for Roon that I desperately think it needs, and it would probably help with SQ issues. Either by default, or make it selectable somehow, but turn off ALL other processing while music is playing.

Audirvana provides this and I agree it would probably help with SQ. 

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

14 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Audirvana provides this and I agree it would probably help with SQ. 

Yes, but in a different manner. Regarding Roon, I would prefer if it didnt do all the background stuff it does while processing music, such as downloading album art, metadata searches, and on and on. I think that is one reason it suffers slightly in SQ. Even on Euphony which is as optimized as an OS can be.

No electron left behind.

On 2/14/2021 at 5:08 AM, R1200CL said:

Hi @PeterSt It’s not possible to edit a poll. What didn’t know was the requirement thing. Probably @The Computer Audiophile can explain or solve small issues like this. It seems however your vote was registered if your the only one says I don’t use Roon. I made the poll anonymously.

The solution that jumps out at me for future pollsters using the function as it is now is to start with the disclaimer “For [Roon] Users Only” and the simple instruction to participate only if you use / engage in / own / have experience with the focus of the poll.  FWIW, Chris, Survey Monkey will let you create qualifying questions that will terminate the poll for those who don’t meet inclusion criteria (instructions here). I don’t know what code powers the AS poll function, but it’s often easy to add this feature.

Running core and library (located on secondary HD) on Ubuntu server (selected other in poll).  Located next to network rack along with 2nd high end PC running HQP on server 2019.  Fiber direct from switch to listening room.

I like big screens and don't care much for tablets, especially phones for controlling/playing.  So I prefer laptop to move around so to speak.

My rig

33 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

No need to be so very serious. 

I may create an MQA poll next. Just have to figure out some nice questions. 

I thought we all agreed that MQA was EVIL and that this was a MQA free zone?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

On 2/13/2021 at 12:31 PM, ted_b said:

Thanks for the reply!!   Then I know it's not for me as I do not attend the church of MHz.....hell there is supposed proof that even  High Res KHz is only recognized less than 50% of the time .....

Thanks again!

Larry  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's the second time in a month they've not only added bug fixes, but also addressed some of the UI issues that users didn't like. Can't say they aren't trying.

I've made some theme changes/hacks (changed that purple to blue, changed the fonts) that I like better, and functionally I think the software is in a really good place now. Don't have any major complaints on that score.

Us older people also appreciate the new feature that allows larger fonts. Just makes it easier on the eyes.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)