IGNORED

What am I hearing? Can it be filtered out?

Hi,

I'm working on a music project for a client. I am using a friend who is a composer to build tracks. He has an acoustic grand piano and records into PT with a pair of C414 mics.
The files I have received from him (below) have some odd ringing, like harmonic distortion. Can you tell me what the cause might be and if these files can be filtered to remove the "fizz?"

Thanks,

Ty Ford

What is the format of the recording, bit rate? Is it lossy or lossless? If I had to guess, sounds like it is over processed/data compressed.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

The files I have received from him (below) have some odd ringing, like harmonic distortion. Can you tell me what the cause might be and if these files can be filtered to remove the "fizz?"

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Piano with Aliasing.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

It seems it is recorded at 48kHz. 4kHz or above frequency component contains non-musical harsh digital noise: The spectrum pattern is repeated above 4kHz,  it is somewhat similar to the aliasing noise when the same digital sample value is repeated 12 times (Fig.3) ...

Cutting the signal 4kHz or above (Fig.2) to alleviate this noise. Sound becomes somewhat Lo-Fi ish

Delete4kHzOrAboveResult.mp3

rec3.thumb.png.f66fc653c8e9054c065cfc585ff1bd56.png

Fig.1

rec4.thumb.png.231ae1426fcecd958f6bd6f49d96706e.png

Fig.2 Cut 4kHz or above frequency components

rec5.thumb.png.5d244b6b413eda2b3a56b3108f3ebe4e.png

Fig.3 Downsampled to 4kHz PCM and zero-order-hold upsample to create 48kHz PCM

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 4 weeks later...

That sounds like it may even be in the piano.  It’s not a common occurrence, but a loose or broken winding on a string can do this.  So can extraneous material sitting on a few strings.  There are many felt parts in there, and any of them could shed a piece.

I once had a similar sound that turned out to be the power cord from my iPad lying against the strings.  I leave a tablet on the lyre because so much of my music is in PDFs - and I left the charging cable plugged in, thinking it was secure on the wood.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what happened but maybe it is error of clocking something like: the PCM signal is recorded at 48kHz SR, later it is filtered through DAC - analog effectors - ADC chain on editing/mastering and its DAC is set to 48kHz SR and 48kHz signal is played but some clocking is set to 44.1kHz and once in every 12 samples or so are skipped ?

I think, when neural network is well trained, solo piano sound will be recovered very well from only DC to 4kHz info. The network is trained using 100 tracks of my piano solo music collection (Clementi, Hanon, Debussy, Ravel, Messiaen, Chopin, Schumann and Beethoven) as its 8kHz PCM input and desired 16kHz PCM output pairs and the learning took only for 3 days with one Nvidia card

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

Wow! Very impressive! Thanks so much for the process notes.

I was able to convince the composer/recordist eventually that something was wrong. My client could not hear the problem!

We got new tracks and they sounded much better. I haven't had the heart to pin the composer down on what he found. That'll probably come later after a few beers.