IGNORED

Article: Review | Heavenly Soundworks FIVE17

bobfa

28 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm missing something: why a touch screen if it across the room from you?

I typically setup albums and playlists and listen for extended times.  I never touch stuff.  Also when I am listening to headphones I just move the rocking chair and everything is right there.

If I need to change things I do have my phone with me most of the time.  

Bonus you get a nice large now-playing display!

• 2 weeks later...

Stand by me!

The factory stands for my FIVE17 speakers arrived today.  Some Assembly Required.

Fifteen Seconds of unboxing

Thirty-Four seconds of basic assembly

Note the DRY sand.  The stands are MDF, and I would worry about damp sand, so two bags of sand from Home Depot at $3.99 each.  I used about 70lbs.  The rest helped refill the grandkids' sandbox!

Twenty-two seconds of final assembly

I did not install the stick-on pads on the top of the stands because I am using ISOACOUSTICS OREA isolators.

Twenty-six seconds of setup!

I am using the Herbies Audio Labs gliders due to the plywood floor under the spikes.  Tomorrow cable routing cleanup so my wife is happier.

IMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.cbbbf6e09c7d44762a3e727d13690542.jpeg

Hi Bob...

Can you give some idea of the size of your room with ceiling height? 

I looked around for pictures and found some.  All I could find showed the front wall and that there is a room off to the left.  

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
Just now, Evo-No-Revo said:

Hi Bob...

Can you give some idea of the size of your room with ceiling height? 

I looked around for pictures and found some.  All I could find showed the front wall and that there is a room off to the left.  

The room is 8ft high about 13ft wide and 21ft long.  There is a large opening to the Dining Room and there is a similar opening to the Front Hall at the other end.

My room is 16ft deep and 26ft wide.  I have the audio system on the long wall.  The ceilings are 10ft.  

Do you have any input concerning the size of my room.  I am going to give Heavenly a call tomorrow and discuss it. 

It certainly would be easier than waiting for a used pair of 8c to show up as I am currently actively searching. I will probably hold out for the 8c but I want to look into an American company after dealing with major shipping issues concerning Europe.  It seems these shipping companies are getting worse and worse in shipping damage.

I did have a pair of Kii Thee a few years back and did enjoy them in a much smaller room.  

Great Review...so easy to follow and expressive without audio magazine fluff.  Thanks for the effort!

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
7 hours ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

It certainly would be easier than waiting for a used pair of 8c to show up as I am currently actively searching. 

Act fast, they appeared on Tuesday.  TMR is very respectable.

https://tmraudio.com/speakers/bookshelf-speakers-monitors/kii-three-powered-bookshelf-speakers-dsp-graphite-pair-w-stands/

Good luck

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 1 month later...

Thank you. Sounds great by the way you review, and given the august company in which you evaluated it. But a 5" woofer...it's hard to believe the physics. How odes that produce anything compared to the 8" woofer in D&D 8C? Or is there some other feature I'm overlooking? 

12 minutes ago, morespin said:

PS. Qubuz is only available in the US. Might be helpful to share Tidal or Spotify playlists :)

Qobuz is available in many more countries than just the US. 

Qobuz is currently available in 18 countries 

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Ireland

Italy

Luxembourg

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom

United States

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My IEMs have pretty good bass :~)

Unless your ears are at the same distance from an IEM and a speaker, your logic makes very little sense. A 75 inch TV will look better than a 45 inch TV (simple visual physics), but one doesn’t argue that by saying “but my phone also looks clear”... well duh, the phone wouldn’t look as clear if it was kept on the wall. Your IEM is in your ear. Different principle. 

I’m sure a well executed 5inch woofer can go low. But there’s a reason Genelec has 8331, 8341, 8351... 

4 hours ago, morespin said:

Unless your ears are at the same distance from an IEM and a speaker, your logic makes very little sense. A 75 inch TV will look better than a 45 inch TV (simple visual physics), but one doesn’t argue that by saying “but my phone also looks clear”... well duh, the phone wouldn’t look as clear if it was kept on the wall. Your IEM is in your ear. Different principle. 

I’m sure a well executed 5inch woofer can go low. But there’s a reason Genelec has 8331, 8341, 8351... 

it’s called a joke. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yes I understand part of it was to make light but it’s a mistimed one. I’ve yet to see a 5” subwoofer displace as much air as an 8” one — regardless of how well they’re both executed. 

Anyway we are straying from the original thread. It’s a glowing review of Five17s amid some formidable company so these are definitely worth an audition, especially as they’re shipped already broken in. Love the all e-commerce type business model similar to Buchardt. Might give these a shot. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, bobfa said:

Thank you for the note.  I am VERY happy with these speakers.  From the sound to the look in my Living Room, they are what I was looking for.

Very cool. Never heard of them (until following this thread). Might want to listen but they do not seem to have the return policy of Buchardt, so a little hard to try in Canada. The looks are more for people who like vintage furniture look… not quite the sleek modern European look of Dutch & Dutch or Buchardt. Wish they did a whole white version with a light color front baffle. 

Any ideas how we can try this? At 10,000 bucks there are many options now including Focus XD 20 with a subwoofer or Focus XD 30 from Dynaudio. Or formation duo from B&W… 

1 hour ago, morespin said:

Very cool. Never heard of them (until following this thread). Might want to listen but they do not seem to have the return policy of Buchardt, so a little hard to try in Canada. The looks are more for people who like vintage furniture look… not quite the sleek modern European look of Dutch & Dutch or Buchardt. Wish they did a whole white version with a light color front baffle. 

Any ideas how we can try this? At 10,000 bucks there are many options now including Focus XD 20 with a subwoofer or Focus XD 30 from Dynaudio. Or formation duo from B&W… 

in the USA I am pretty sure that there is a return trial period.  I think they will be going to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in the fall…???

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, Evo-No-Revo said:

My room is 16ft deep and 26ft wide.  I have the audio system on the long wall.  The ceilings are 10ft.  

Do you have any input concerning the size of my room.  I am going to give Heavenly a call tomorrow and discuss it. 

It certainly would be easier than waiting for a used pair of 8c to show up as I am currently actively searching. I will probably hold out for the 8c but I want to look into an American company after dealing with major shipping issues concerning Europe.  It seems these shipping companies are getting worse and worse in shipping damage.

I did have a pair of Kii Thee a few years back and did enjoy them in a much smaller room.  

Great Review...so easy to follow and expressive without audio magazine fluff.  Thanks for the effort!

Hi there, that is a good sized room, but not too big. The FIVE17's could be a great fit for you depending on a couple of other factors. Mainly, the volume that you prefer to listen to and the distance from the speakers to your listening position. 

The FIVE17's are a relatively small stand-mount system that goes louder than you would expect for their size. However, for Rock concert level listening in large rooms, there's no replacement for displacement! :) 

Feel free to reach out directly if you'd like to chat further!

Jonathan

The Heavenly Soundworks Team

Creating the Ultimate Listening Experience, without all of the complications!

www.heavenlysoundworks.com

Heavenly Soundworks Logo_Final_Standard Black_Cropped.png

On 6/24/2021 at 7:08 PM, morespin said:

Hi @morespin, you would be able to take advantage of our 30 day in-home trial! It is not limited to the USA. 👍

Jonathan

The Heavenly Soundworks Team

Creating the Ultimate Listening Experience, without all of the complications!

www.heavenlysoundworks.com

Heavenly Soundworks Logo_Final_Standard Black_Cropped.png