IGNORED

BIOS help to get to ASDM7EC DSD256 with HQPe & i9-9900K?

barrows

Thanks guys, but this is problematic.  I do not use Tidal or Quobuz.  Plus running Roon on another machine pretty much invalidates the test, as the goal is to run everytuhgin on one machine, which should the hardware should be totally capable of anyway.

I have Roon on my laptop and can test with a small group of files, but am not sure what this will tell me anyway.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

23 minutes ago, barrows said:

Thanks guys, but this is problematic.  I do not use Tidal or Quobuz.  Plus running Roon on another machine pretty much invalidates the test, as the goal is to run everytuhgin on one machine, which should the hardware should be totally capable of anyway.

I have Roon on my laptop and can test with a small group of files, but am not sure what this will tell me anyway.

Try the test with your laptop. If it works then the problem is in SO configuration. If it doesn’t then there is something else going on but we can’t know unless you run the test. If it is SO then you can use Win 10 to run both until the problem can be traced.

Works fine bypassing SO by running HQP OS booting from a USB stick, ASDM7EC DSD 256, so clearly the problem is with how HQPe is implemented with SO, @agillis?  Serving files from Roon to HQPe from my laptop.

This is without any trick BIOS settings, just XMP 1 and WiFi disabled, all other settings at defaults.

The unfortunate news is that this gives me no simple path forward which I am capable of achieving.  I assume this means I need to load a different OS (Audio Linux, etc) and HQPe, and Roon, and configure everything myself.  Windows is not an option for me.

Oops, playback just paused, i was able to re-start, perhaps this because I am now in trial mode.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 minutes ago, barrows said:

Works fine bypassing SO by running HQP OS booting from a USB stick, ASDM7EC DSD 256, so clearly the problem is with how HQPe is implemented with SO, @agillis?  Serving files from Roon to HQPe from my laptop.

This is without any trick BIOS settings, just XMP 1 and WiFi disabled, all other settings at defaults.

At least we now know it is somewhere on the software stack. So we can immediately forget about toying with hardware anymore.

5 minutes ago, barrows said:

The unfortunate news is that this gives me no simple path forward which I am capable of achieving.  I assume this means I need to load a different OS (Audio Linux, etc) and HQPe, and Roon, and configure everything myself.

Minimal Ubuntu Server 20.04 install is pretty straightforward. And then adding needed packages on it. This is what I use on my servers that have something bigger than HQPlayer OS.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

19 minutes ago, barrows said:

The unfortunate news is that this gives me no simple path forward which I am capable of achieving.  I assume this means I need to load a different OS (Audio Linux, etc) and HQPe, and Roon, and configure everything myself.  Windows is not an option for me.

Oops, playback just paused, i was able to re-start, perhaps this because I am now in trial mode.

Great! Can you load Roon to your NAS. If so, you can just stay with HQP OS for now.

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

At least we now know it is somewhere on the software stack. So we can immediately forget about toying with hardware anymore.

Minimal Ubuntu Server 20.04 install is pretty straightforward. And then adding needed packages on it. This is what I use on my servers that have something bigger than HQPlayer OS.

Jussi, I would bet that the problem lies with Roon and HQPe running concurrently on SO. They are not sharing resources well. If he runs just HQPe alone from SO and Roon on the laptop and it works that would narrow it down. Give that a try Barrows.

No NAS here, I prefer internal storage.  Andrew has made an update he wants me to try, but I have got to put in some hours for Sonore right now.  Also lots of snow shoveling to do here.

I'll run Andrew's update tonight and see if thta makes any differences.

SONORE computer audio

51 minutes ago, barrows said:

Bingo!

Thanks so much Jussi and Andrew.  Updated SO with the new HQPe build, and now no issues with SO, Roon, and HQPe all running on my server and ASDM7EC to DSD 256.  Additionally, 2 cores are running at around 75% now, which is less than what they were doing with ASDM5EC previously.

Not running any special settings in BIOS, just XMP 1, and defaults.

Oh yeah, and sound quality is fantastic with my Bricasti M3 (discrete DSD converter)!

Very happy to hear that you have it working and that you are happy with it.

21 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I would be curious as to which filters you can use and which don’t work with your i9 9900K.

Which would you like me to try?

SONORE computer audio

28 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Some of the hard ones like Sinc L and Closed Form 16 M. I am curious if a GPU is needed with that chip. Thanks 

You mean in concert with ASDM7EC to DSD 256?  I am pretty sure that would require GPU offload for the filter.  Most using i9-9900K have said with ASDM7EC one needs to use the two stage filters to have enough processing power for the modulator, but I'll give a few things a go when i have time.

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, barrows said:

You mean in concert with ASDM7EC to DSD 256?  I am pretty sure that would require GPU offload for the filter.  Most using i9-9900K have said with ASDM7EC one needs to use the two stage filters to have enough processing power for the modulator, but I'll give a few things a go when i have time.

The really serious filters like those need a CUDA for that modulator and rate. Jussi has pointed this out before.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, barrows said:

Thanks, I am just curious. You should be able to use most of the easy non-2s filters with that chip and maybe some like sinc S and closed form. I can use closed form fast on my i5 8400. Only do what you have time for. I will be replacing my server and was hoping not to need a GPU.   Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 3:58 PM, Miska said:

I also just made another build and sent info about it to Andrew. Let's see if this gets sorted out.

I'm having the same issue as OP with Audio Linux and an i7 9700k. I can stream DSD256 ASDM7 to an NAA no problem, but ASDM7EC causes stutters and dropouts. Had no problem with Windows 10 and the same hardware.

Would your solution apply to Audio Linux as well? I'm running the desktop version of HQPlayer and Audio Linux (LXQT).

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2021 at 8:34 AM, bobflood said:

Thanks, I am just curious. You should be able to use most of the easy non-2s filters with that chip and maybe some like sinc S and closed form. I can use closed form fast on my i5 8400. Only do what you have time for. I will be replacing my server and was hoping not to need a GPU.   Thanks

Quick little update:  I had success running poly sinc ext (not "2") with this set up to ASDM7EC and DSD 256, also worked with SincM ASDM7EC (but only 44.1 base rate inputs of course, my DAC does not do 48 k DSD rates).  I did not test exhaustively, but it does appear that now with the newer version of HQPe Jussi distributed to Small Green Computer for use with their Sonic Orbiter linux OS one can try some of the non 2 style filters with EC modulators and DSD 256 oversampling without GPU offloading.  My machine is I9-9900K, 32 Gb Hyper-X Predator RAM running Roon+Sonic Orbiter+HQPe out to a Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical as NAA.  I have a Noctua fan based cooling set up and the server is in my workroom, not the living room where the audio system is.

SONORE computer audio

19 minutes ago, barrows said:

Quick little update:  I had success running poly sinc ext (not "2") with this set up to ASDM7EC and DSD 256, also worked with SincM ASDM7EC (but only 44.1 base rate inputs of course, my DAC does not do 48 k DSD rates).  I did not test exhaustively, but it does appear that now with the newer version of HQPe Jussi distributed to Small Green Computer for use with their Sonic Orbiter linux OS one can try some of the non 2 style filters with EC modulators and DSD 256 oversampling without GPU offloading.  My machine is I9-9900K, 32 Gb Hyper-X Predator RAM running Roon+Sonic Orbiter+HQPe out to a Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical as NAA.  I have a Noctua fan based cooling set up and the server is in my workroom, not the living room where the audio system is.

Thanks for the update. I am going to replace my server in the fall when the 12th Gen Intel i9 chips come out and like you I will do a fan cooled system. I should be able to everything I want to do without using a GPU but I can always add one later if they ever become available at list prices. I was going to do a water cooled system but that is more than I want to take on and the i9 coming in the fall is a 10nm chip so it should run a bit cooler. It also has a lot more cores and a higher turbo speed so it should be ideal for HQP Desktop which is what I will use. I will post about it later this year when I get it.  Thanks Again! 

• 3 weeks later...