IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

Impressions:

1. It looks nice.

2. Finding Classical works is much improved.

3. None of my bookmarked focus groups play. I can't seem to make new ones that work. Get an error message that the tracks are "unplayable". 

4. The Home page has way too much info and I'm not very interested in most of it. They need to have an option to hide sections you aren't interested in.

5. Agree with Chris that it's too much guessing to "figure out" what stuff is. Yes, have pop up explanations.

6. I activated the option for my albums to show the "Qobuz" and "Library" symbols. But on several on the views - say after a search- when you press on the "more" button to see all the results, the symbols disappear.  I don't like that. I want to see which albums are mine and which are from Qobuz.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

56 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

in case you havent found it yet, and this was also an option in the previous version as well, but in Focus you can use Storage Location as one of the variables and Focus only on the songs from your local storage, Qobuz, or Tidal, etc...

Yes, I get that, but that isn't what I am talking about. The results of the search display both types of album. I want the "badges" for each type to appear, as I've requested in the album  display settings. They don't. I can't always remember whats in my collection and what's Qobuz. The badges should appear with all the different album displays, if that's what I setup in settings. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

in case you havent found it yet, and this was also an option in the previous version as well, but in Focus you can use Storage Location as one of the variables and Focus only on the songs from your local storage, Qobuz, or Tidal, etc...

Yes, I get that, but that isn't what I am talking about. The results of the search display both types of album. I want the "badges" for each type to appear, as I've requested in the album  They don't. I can't always remember whats in my collection and what's Qobuz. The badges 

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Oh, I found that too, Settings > General > Browsing Preferences > Customize Album Display > and a window pops up, its in there.

Yes, that's my problem. I'd already done that. The badges don't appear in all the displays. Only in some.

Wow, I'm really unhappy so far. If I was a new subscriber I'd cancel right now.

2 big gripes:

1. I hate the new focus. From the main home page or the albums page it is subtractive. If I pick Focus>Genre Rock I get say 100 albums displayed. If I pick focus Soul  get say, 50. If I pick Rock + Soul I get zero. Not 150.

I understand they are doing an AND command. That's very useful in some cases. They need an OR  command so it is additive, not subtractive.

It's totally counter intuitive to open my collection and get that result. I shouldn't need to navigate through the program to find a place (in Genres) where I can sort of do that.

This is making choosing my listening list a chore and not a pleasure.

2. Search/Library: EXTREMELY slow for me. Did a search for "Abbey Road" and it took 70 seconds. Literally. Same thing when I open the program and have to wait for  all of the main page to appear. Edit: From what I read at the Roon forum, this may be due to severe overload on their servers b/c everyone is downloading and using the new program. So maybe it will clear up on it's own.

57 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yes, that's my problem. I'd already done that. The badges don't appear in all the displays. Only in some.

For instance: did a search for "concerto for orchestra".  A group of albums appears with the badges. I click on "more" for the expanded listing: no badges in that view.

29 minutes ago, ssh said:

to each his own. I'd like to have the option to have it pick only a random 20 or 50 or 100 tracks. That's all I need at any one time, and thousands of tracks just means the actions of the program are slower.

The Roon guys have already put out a fix for some of the issues and have replied to posts on their forum that they are going to put in some more fixes for users concerns in the next bugfix/update.

Yeah, they made some mistakes. But at least they are willing to admit some of them and are trying to put out some quick fixes.

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Well, I now I have a nice baby blue across the board instead of purple and orange thanks to some intrepid users over on the Roon forum who figured out how to change some code. Will need to change it again each update, but it's a start and a lot more pleasant... Looking into other color schemes. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.50.22 PM.png

Is this only on MAC, or also Windows? Link to the explanation at the Roon site?

Here's mine. Changed out the purple for blue, and made the main background a bit lighter.

Now I'm going to do the same with the Roon light theme, except make the background a bit less bright. It hurts my eyes.

Roon blue-dark grey.jpg

2 hours ago, Pro Jules said:

Can these tweaks be easily shared? 

Yes. On windows it's just changing text in a file in the Roon program called "colors". I believe it's similar on a MAC. 

The link to the Roon community thread is above where it's discussed and explained - with examples.

This is also a post there explaining it.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/customizing-the-roon-theme/142548/63

Here's the light theme. I again changed the purple for blue, and made the background a few shades less bright.

Roon light - modded.jpg

26 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Purple is quite nice IMHO, especially with the dark theme.  It must be a MN thing 😉

Didn't hate the purple. Prefer the blue. Must be a Dallas thing. Lived there a long time ago.:)

There were a couple of stylistic things that weren't my taste. Apparently a lot of others felt the same way. But there are already unofficial fixes for them.

There are several other common complaints that the Roon team has already said they will address.

Overall the new version is good.

A couple of serious bugs were already fixed in an update-they didn't affect everyone, but were pretty major for those they did.

There are only a few actual bugs left - pretty minor and many people won't notice them.

2 hours ago, k6davis said:

I couldn't agree more. The white huge font (for things I don't need to read) combined with the white tiny font (for things I do need to read) on the (literally) black background along with smaller icons, waveform and the vast amount of empty space... I just can't. It hurts my mind. And that's just the look of it, let alone the changes to the way things work. 

It's like they asked me to tell them everything I liked about Roon and then said, "Great! Okay. We're gonna move or remove all of that. And then change the way nearly everything works, in ways that no one was asking for!"

I've already seen posts from the Roon team to the effect of: "Most people like it". Even worse (for me), that seems to actually be true. What's certain is that the Roon team likes it, or they wouldn't have done in the first place. 

Such is life. Things don't always go your way. But what I really learned from this is to be very careful when it comes to "software as a service". You pay for it, but you don't own it. They can do anything they want to with it at any time. I bought lifetime, and tomorrow, they could decide to make it have an orange strobe-light background and remove all of the "play" buttons and there wouldn't be a damned thing I could do about it.

I didn't like the colors and fonts. Changed what bugged me most. It's a simple hack that doesn't take long. Do it and you will be much happier.

16 minutes ago, k6davis said:

It looked like this in 1.7. The waveform stretched across the entire screen which looked cool and made it far easier to use. They also put the currently playing artist and title above the the waveform. That way there was room for long titles without them being truncated. 

The way things are now, both elements are compromised, IMO.

spacer.png

I agree that the layout of the bottom section was much more user friendly in 1.7. The new setup isn't terrible, but it's not a change for the better, IMO.

47 minutes ago, k6davis said:

What you've done here is 1000% more appealing than the stock version. 

Can you also change the font sizes?

Even in your very nice enhancement: 

• The album title is needlessly big, and needlessly split on to two lines
  • The upper right hand corner of the screen is a vast expanse of nothing
  • You can't see even the first song without scrolling
  • The font size for the song titles (if you could see them) is so small it's unpleasant for me to read, though it may be easier with a color scheme like this
  • You can't see any album recommendations without scrolling 
  • The waveform is small
  • The artist name on the bottom left is ridiculously small
  • Here, the Length/Rating/Format/Images are in a column off to the right, but I swear I've also seen them displayed in a row... Maybe that was a different view.

This has to be the most "first world problem" ever, and you're very kind to try to offer suggestions. But these things apparently bother me much more than they do most people. The thing about Roon 1.8 is that there's an accumulation of things that I don't like and don't see the benefit of that adds up to me strongly disliking it. And all of them were better in 1.7, IMO. 

I'm back on 1.7 and I'm very happy with that, for as long as it lasts. I'll keep an eye on changes they make to 1.8 and I will keep in mind that I can change the unpleasant colors and fonts, if a few other things I don't like move in my direction.

Thank you kindly for your post.

You can't change the font size, apparently. 

The length of the wave form doesn't bother me that much, although I'd prefer that whole bottom band as in 1.7. The 5 buttons are too close together, so on a touch screen you have to be careful not to hit the wrong one. I do mostly agree that the look ad setup of 1.7 was better, although I'm getting used to the new one.

I guess it's possible that some of the design changes/space issues may have something to do with the fact that they made it possible to use the program in portrait mode also, which constrained them in what they could do. 

My impression is that the new version is faster, and I'm willing to accept that some of the "under the hood" stuff works better now. 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Still no way to see a record label’s content available on Qobuz or Tidal, like we can through native streaming apps. I want to browse ECM releases, but have to use the Qobuz app to do it. 

Also, I wish record labels were consolidated in Roon. Especially those with only case sensitivity differences. Example, ecm, Ecm, and ECM. 

EE3BDD7D-4B85-4CF8-BA79-D12C4ED278CC.png

That issue needs to be solved. Have you posted it at the Roon forum?

One positive note: it used to drive me crazy that classical music with multiple titles (live Stravinsky's compositions, that often have both French and English titles)  were seen as separate, and it was very difficult to get all versions to come up in a search: this seems to have been solved in large part - at least as far as I can see so far.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Another nice feature I didn’t know about. You can extremely quickly scroll your albums by artist name  first letter. 

The function works in other views as well. 

B96849E5-6961-4EAC-9DEB-1B9F65D0926D.jpeg

Yes, the new filter function works extremely well. A definite plus.