IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

5 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

I haven't seen that post, but have been looking for it!

It seems it would be pretty simple to implement a color-picker control to change 1) Background color; 2) Accent color; 3) Return to default

It's gone. I have a feeling the Roon team probably not to keen on users going in and changing code. Good thing is we know it can be easily done. Hopefully they'll soon give users some choice in themes. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

5 hours ago, firedog said:

Is this only on MAC, or also Windows? Link to the explanation at the Roon site?

Thread is gone. Can be done Windows or Mac though (using Terminal in Mac). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

For me, the absolute worst part of the new design is the unreadability of paragraph text. Renders the whole discovery thing moot if one can't easily read a line or two of text without feeling dizzy and wanting to fall over. 

They changed the thread title and put it under tinkering. Kore complete instructions there.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/customizing-the-roon-theme/142548/53

A bit more tweaking and pretty much have it where I want it. Not much to do about the blank spaces though (this is on my 27" NEC).

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.48.30 AM.jpg

14 minutes ago, ssh said:

k6davis,

You nailed it!  All of the criticism is on point.

The shuffle mode problem is the biggest problem for me. I used to be treated to a track by Lefty Frizzell followed by Mary Halvorson piece than pivoting to Max Richter. Not anymore. I hope the fixes come soon.

Easiest workaround for now is go to your album page and select all, and then make a bookmark (label it something like Shuffle Albums, etc). That works.

2 minutes ago, ssh said:

I get to "select all" but I can't find the "bookmark".

Upper right hand corner? I'm on Mac.

11 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Btw, it is possible to change fonts by replacing font files in the 'Resources' directory and keeping the original font names. For instance, I replaced GrifoS-Medium and GrifoM-Medium (the most defining ones) with .otf fonts more to my liking. I am on Mac OS.

Correct, that is what we have done. Renaming and replacing so tricking it into thinking it's calling up a Grifo but it's whatever. I'm thinking about changing the whole thing to Helvitica and being done with it! Might be some sizing issues if you go to radical, but boy I sure would love something more readable for the block texts. As it is I go dizzy quick. Might be just me but I don't do that elsewhere in (much) software. Let us know what you come up with. 

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, firedog said:

Don't disagree. There's a few things I don't understand why they never fix.

But again, just b/c I want something doesn't mean it HAS to be that way.

Gotta step back and ask if there's anything else that comes close to giving me what I want - and the answer is no. Even if there are specific features in other SW that I wish Roon had. 

I think there's wants and then there's needs. Scrolling is a basic function - a need. The fact that it doesn't return to place renders some of the Roon's own wants - like their fancy new releases for you page - almost unusable. Yet they've used lots of time and resources on DSP, which imo is more of a want then a true need (I don't use it, have tried, and found it always makes my sound quality worse but that might be my gear as well). 

But yeah, same thoughts myself as far as nothing else does what it does for me (I'm a lifer, when it was $499). I just hope they make sure the basics are done better.