IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

I'm trying Roon again after rejecting it five years ago. It sure has improved since and I can see many merits.

BUT still it's not terribly good for classical music. The main issue is that one can't select from one's library in meaningful ways, according to featured instrument(s) and/or type of classical music. For example:

• One can't easily find all choral music in the library, or masses, or operas.
  • One can't find all lieder in the library.
  • One can't find all string quartets, or oboe concertos, or classical guitar discs, in the library.
  • One can't find all music featuring the harp in the library.

I now remember why I gave up on Roon five years ago.

But I am still new to 1.8. Are these things really possible, and I'm missing it?

8 hours ago, firedog said:

The focus feature and the filter feature should get you a good part of what you want. It helps if your files are tagged. Try also going in thru Composer.

Yes, I've tried them, and they don't help much with the sort of thing I asked about. Focus has some good and some odd criteria, but neither the featured instrument nor the musical form (symphony, string quartet, cantata, ...).

My own files are indeed well tagged.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, katools said:

If they spent more time fixing issues rather than policing their forum trying to silence criticism it might add some fun.  Instead it adds frustration.

Perhaps it's time for you to try some other software and see if it suits you better. As well as Roon, I use JRiver. It is very capable, but using their support forum is an education into hostile customer service. Maybe I just need more experience with Roon.

Software has become very complex. With Roon's being multi-platform, and every one of those platforms changing constantly, the maintenance burden must be immense. No way they are going to afford personalized support and attention at their prices.

I do have a good deal of empathy for your position. There have been many times when demonstrable faults in big software (Lotus, in its heyday) weren't fixed, despite my sending clear information. Sometimes, what a particular user wants fixed just isn't on the list for a software vendor. It hurts.

14 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

This might be a crazy idea, but I think Roon should stop making a complete app for 2 different operating systems, leave the server part of the duo to Linux while making only the remote app cross platform. I may be in a minority, but in my experience Roon Server runs best on Linux.

The value of having it run on various OS is that the potential customer can try it on a PC or Mac or laptop before committing. Since Linux, capable as it is, isn't as popular, moving exclusively to Lunux would prevent most from trying it.

P.S. Somehow I missed @firedog's post saying the same thing.

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Anyone else noticing this strange behavior when restarting Roon? It pegs my processor at 100% while scanning the library and it takes forever. This is a new development. 

It does not happen on my 10 yr old i7 system running Roon under Windows 10. My physical file library hasn't grown in a while, if that's relevant.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:33 AM, katools said:

Let me share just how wonderful the Roon experience is at delivering: "Immerse yourself in photos, bios, reviews, credits, lyrics, tour dates, and more…"

That's interesting and unfortunate.

How did you get that display? I've tried it with my copy of Roon and can't find it. When I select "My Albums" from the left menu, then Focus, I can't find a way to display those without Genres or other tags.  A hint, please?

On 5/17/2021 at 10:37 PM, PunkRockDoc said:

If you go into focus and select the genre Pop/Rock, a little button appears with +Pop/Rock.  Click on that little button and it changes it to -Pop/Rock, which means without the Pop/Rock genre

Yes, and thanks for that. Still, that doesn't give what @katoolsis showning, which was to identify albums with no genre. I mean, to identify those without having to "-" every genre listed.

@katools - I checked my file library against Roon, and about 10% of the discs were unidentified by Roon. For some, that was expected, as they are my own recordings or downloaded from the Internet Archive. For others, this alerted me to missing files in my library. For a good number of others, the Roon metadata was missing timings, which Roon interpreted as conflicts with my files, requiring manual intervention. Others are missing from Roon's database for no obvious reason (which might have, say 45 of the 50 volumes of a series, with the omissions hit or miss). It is a bit disappointing to see so many releases unidentified that could have been identified easily.

The most problematic issue for me is that for certain large multi-disc sets, I changed the disk/track numbers upon ripping (long pre-Roon) to a more logical order -- say Symphonies 1-9 in that order, not in the order they would fit onto the minimum of CDs. Roon does not recognize the release then, or matches it wrong, and the Roon tools for getting metadata and files to match up are so laborious, I have decided against trying.

I do enjoy Roon, but it's clear that they are depending on what can be done automatically, leaving a lot of work for the user at times.