IGNORED

Further Adventures with DC Power for Chord DAVE (and Blu Mk II)

Ultracap is awesome for being mains isolated.  There is a huge win there.  I have not tried it with DAVE, but I am tempted based on your report (thank you!)

The 3A ldovr supply gave me an intriguing result when I tried it to power the 5V line on my DAVE (can't/won't say better or worse, but definitely had its own character).  It would It does give you access to higher voltages as well (although I suspect the characteristics of what makes an optimal supply for 5V will be different that ±15V...the jury is still out for me on that one).

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

2 hours ago, DAVE JS2 said:

Where Next?

Great question, glad you asked!

I am searching for a suitable way to get similar ‘ultraCap-quality’ DC at +-15V for the DAVE. Yes I’ve asked @Superdad, and no, ultraCap can’t be modded to deliver 15V.  ☹️

I am also intrigued at the possible impact of better quality power to the 5V rail of the Blu (2.7A needed) given my experiences with the DAVE and the DC conversion of the Blu helping despite the presence of an OPTO DX. I have an ldovr 3A dual stage regulator on order (also 0.8 microvolts noise quoted) to see if it will sharpen up the JS-2 rail I use for Blu to ultraCap levels.

Thx for the update! Farad Super3 super capacitor LPS comes to my mind. Can be ordered in all voltages between 5V and 24V.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

21 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Ultracap is awesome for being mains isolated.  There is a huge win there.  I have not tried it with DAVE, but I am tempted based on your report (thank you!)

The 3A ldovr supply gave me an intriguing result when I tried it to power the 5V line on my DAVE (can't/won't say better or worse, but definitely had its own character).  It would It does give you access to higher voltages as well (although I suspect the characteristics of what makes an optimal supply for 5V will be different that ±15V...the jury is still out for me on that one).

Thanks @ray-dude I'd be fascinated to know what you think if you try an ultracap.

You have me very intrigued by the ldovr now. I wish he'd hurry up & ship it...

The Farad Super3 in 15v brought a very significant improvement to my TT2.  I have no doubt it would do the same for the DAVE.  

I have two Super3s in 15v as the other is for my HMS. I was planning to sell it given that I no longer use my HMS. But maybe I should hang onto it for when I finally get around to upgrading to DAVE.  All I'd need to add is an LPS-1.2 and a DC cable that would switch the pins to give me -15v.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

8 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

The Farad Super3 in 15v brought a very significant improvement to my TT2.  I have no doubt it would do the same for the DAVE.  

I have two Super3s in 15v as the other is for my HMS. I was planning to sell it given that I no longer use my HMS. But maybe I should hang onto it for when I finally get around to upgrading to DAVE.  All I'd need to add is an LPS-1.2 and a DC cable that would switch the pins to give me -15v.

Thanks @kennyb123,

If you are going to get a DAVE and are prepared to accept the potential consequences of opening it up, then I can only recommend the DAVE DC conversion as a 'must-do'.

Would love to hear why you no longer use HMS? Do you use HQPlayer?

3 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

What gives with HMS, @kennyb123 ? 

I took a leap of faith in hopes of improving the sound quality of Roon.  The goal was to try Roon/HQPlayer integration but this was not supported by my music server, an Innuos Zenith Mk3.  The leap involved purchasing an Antipodes K30 with the plan to help fund that by selling both my Zenith and HMS if it turned out to be a significant upgrade.  The K30 arrived last week and it has been blowing my mind.  Roon/HQPlayer integration has brought the best sound I've yet heard from Roon.  But even better is the sound quality from HQPlayer then Roon is stopped.

HQPlayer does offer similar benefits to the HMS, but I think the HMS might provide a bigger lift.  But the bigger deal is the lift I got from the K30 over the Zenith.  It's not really a fair fight there as the K30 is more than twice as expensive as the Zenith Mk3.  The Zenith is a darn good music server for the price - it's exceptionally transparent when using the built in Squeeze player.  The K30 is in another league though.  I'll be posting observations on it in maybe another week or so once it has been given sufficient time to fully settle in.   

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

5 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

@DAVE JS2 I've been interested to read of your journey. I have been a long time advocate of upgraded power supplies for DACs ever since having an Audio Alchemy Digital Decoding Engine (DDE) DAC many decades ago and realised how much better the sound quality was with an upgraded power supply. Latterly I have used a few different power supplies including Farad, SBooster, Uptone, MCRS, Allo Shanti etc and then got the chance to buy a pre owned Sean Jacobs DC3 conversion for the Dave. I was totally stunned but unfortunately for my wallet Sean announced the DC4 soon after and in a leap of faith I became the owner of the first production DC4 for Dave. I have never ever regretted that decision. After that the only thing I have changed is the dc cables from the DC4 to the Dave where I concluded that they were acting as very efficient RF aerials and taking the RF noise straight to the heart of the Dave where it could wreak maximum havoc. Unlike others who have gone down the exotic materials route for the dc cables I now use heavily shielded dc cables to the Dave and the difference is quite profound.

The Dave DC4 was so good that I thought very seriously about converting my Blu MkII but in the end I sold that and bought an Mscaler and added a DC4 to that which from a total outlay point of view was a much more sensible decision. I used to like listening to CDs and from a sound quality standpoint it made sense but now with my Innuos streamer, DC4 Dave and DC4 Mscaler there is no longer any reason to want to play CDs for better sound quality (by way of a confession, like @kennyb123 I am also playing with one of the new Antipodes streamers!).

I look forward to your further reports!

Thanks for your message @Fourlegs, thats very cool to have the first ever production unit!

Its so interesting to hear just how many people have been down this path before me, I learn so much every time I am on this forum.

Fortunately given my paranoia about the sensitivity of DAVE I used shielded cabling in there and the Blu from the get-go, so at least that's one thing I got right first time.

I had a different calculation with the Blu Mk II - I haven't played CDs for many years, and felt that it'd be better to swap for a MScalar but was advised that the second hand market for Blu Mk II in the UK is pretty weak now the MScalar is established, and used MScalars seemed to be going for almost new prices in lockdown, so I decided to stick with Blu and convert it in a more cost-effective way. But mainly my wife still wanted to be able to play CDs (which she never does either 🤷‍♂️ ), so that was the end of it...

I will obviously have to investigate these Antipodes streamers...!

On 2/12/2021 at 5:00 PM, LowOrbit said:

I'm not generally known for my patience, this is gonna kill me!

If I find a black one in the UK used, I may have to have a word with my dealer (who is great, TBH).

I'm not the most patient either, but It'll be worth the wait, @LowOrbit! Try and enjoy what you have in the meantime.

I'm in mourning - on the SAME DAY my OPTO DX premium cables AND second pair of Oyaide BNC cables arrived, and just 2 days before my ldovr 3A regulator arrives, my power amp's left channel decided to fail (the right channel is sounding great, though  🙈).

I will get it off for repair on Monday, and will have to exercise patience, like @LowOrbit...

I do have a question you all may be able to help me with, though: if I were to use two ultraCaps in 'series' per rail, I believe I could add the potential differences together and get either 14V (7+7) or 16V (7+9) out of them. Neither of these are 15V, but do we think that really matters? If it doesn't matter, would 14 or 16 be better?

I'm not the most patient either, but It'll be worth the wait, @LowOrbit! Try and enjoy what you have in the meantime.

I have no problem enjoying the TT2 - it's pretty decent. Apparently Chord have issues with metalwork, maybe they get them machined in europe.

I'm in mourning - on the SAME DAY my OPTO DX premium cables AND second pair of Oyaide BNC cables arrived, and just 2 days before my ldovr 3A regulator arrives, my power amp's left channel decided to fail (the right channel is sounding great, though  🙈).

I will get it off for repair on Monday, and will have to exercise patience, like @LowOrbit...

I do have a question you all may be able to help me with, though: if I were to use two ultraCaps in 'series' per rail, I believe I could add the potential differences together and get either 14V (7+7) or 16V (7+9) out of them. Neither of these are 15V, but do we think that really matters? If it doesn't matter, would 14 or 16 be better?

That is not good. Maybe clasp a hand over your left ear...

If the Ultracaps are fully isolated (no common ground to cause a short) you should be OK, but choose the 14v path, stay away from overvoltaging - manufacturers can usually tell when something got burned from to much voltage and it messes with their kindly nature regarding warranty claims.

Test well before attaching to your good kit, make sure the voltages are stable and nothing starts smelling!

@DAVE JS2 I thought I recalled a thread elsewhere on this topic for the Dave, but am not finding it on only a half-cup of Sunday coffee.

However, on a similar note (MScaler), this exchange from another site:

I should have perhaps clarified that the PP2 batteries that I have here put out just under 17v (16.8v) on the 16v battery setting and that is why I was urging caution and suggesting using the 12v setting instead. I was under the impression that the over voltage diode was set to blow at 16v.

The exchange goes on to discuss the warranty implications, per Rob Watts. You could probably paste up the above highlighted excerpt and be magically delivered to the thread. 

Sorry to read of the recent issue with your gear. Good Luck...

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png