IGNORED

Article: How To Backup Aurender Music Servers

Chris,

Do you also backup your Roon Database to the NAS?  

That way the whole system is safer!

I was looking at an rsync thing before but this is generic and I like it.  I wanted to use the NAS to keep the server up to date with new music.  Now I can just put the music on the server directly and let the NAS do its thing.

Then you can go a step further and backup the NAS to the cloud or another remote NAS.

Easy setup with AudioLinux to my Synology NAS

Follow Chris's instructions exactly.  Just use the right name/IP  for your server.  Also the correct user and password for SMB on Audiolinux

Backup proceeding now.  4TB will take a while.  I will assume but verify success as time goes on.

*** NOTE that some of the less expensive Synology NAS devices may not have Active Backup for Business.  ***

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Bob, is Active Backup for Business not available on some models? Do you know how to tell which ones? Is it the ones with the Annapurna Labs / Amazon CPU?

Here is the list:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/packages/ActiveBackup

Please note that DS712+, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS2411+, and DS1511+ are not compatible with Active Backup for Business since they do not support Btrfs. Only Active Backup for Server can be installed on these models.

It is a great solution to back computers on the network.  I just never thought of it for the music server.  

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This needs to answered in a nuanced way in another article. Many options, many pitfalls, many showstoppers. 

38tb of data needs a lot of respect.  The “standard” 321 backup strategy may not be enough.  

This is one view of the strategy:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/visualized/321-backup-strategy-best-practices-infographic/