IGNORED

Article: How To Backup Aurender Music Servers

How can I get a copy of this to have and to print future reference?

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

Chris,

Do you also backup your Roon Database to the NAS?  

That way the whole system is safer!

I was looking at an rsync thing before but this is generic and I like it.  I wanted to use the NAS to keep the server up to date with new music.  Now I can just put the music on the server directly and let the NAS do its thing.

Then you can go a step further and backup the NAS to the cloud or another remote NAS.

26 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Do you also backup your Roon Database to the NAS?

Oh yes. 

26 minutes ago, bobfa said:

was looking at an rsync thing before but this is generic and I like it.

Agree. It’s totally vanilla and comes with the NAS without needing anything changed on the Aurender. 

27 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Then you can go a step further and backup the NAS to the cloud or another remote NAS.

Yep. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Easy setup with AudioLinux to my Synology NAS

Follow Chris's instructions exactly.  Just use the right name/IP  for your server.  Also the correct user and password for SMB on Audiolinux

Backup proceeding now.  4TB will take a while.  I will assume but verify success as time goes on.

*** NOTE that some of the less expensive Synology NAS devices may not have Active Backup for Business.  ***

14 minutes ago, bobfa said:

*** NOTE that some of the less expensive Synology NAS devices may not have Active Backup for Business.  ***

Hi Bob, is Active Backup for Business not available on some models? Do you know how to tell which ones? Is it the ones with the Annapurna Labs / Amazon CPU?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Bob, is Active Backup for Business not available on some models? Do you know how to tell which ones? Is it the ones with the Annapurna Labs / Amazon CPU?

Here is the list:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/packages/ActiveBackup

Please note that DS712+, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS2411+, and DS1511+ are not compatible with Active Backup for Business since they do not support Btrfs. Only Active Backup for Server can be installed on these models.

It is a great solution to back computers on the network.  I just never thought of it for the music server.  

2 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Here is the list:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/packages/ActiveBackup

Please note that DS712+, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS2411+, and DS1511+ are not compatible with Active Backup for Business since they do not support Btrfs. Only Active Backup for Server can be installed on these models.

It is a great solution to back computers on the network.  I just never thought of it for the music server.  

Thanks Bob. 

Wouldn't it be useful to have instructions how to backup to just another PC/server on the network, and not a branded NAS?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

This is the problem with HiFI software today. Expensive hardware comes with sub par software. Roon is decent but will probably fail a quality test done by an established software company. We have to hope that that HiFi

software continues to evolve and we don’t need a page long article on how to backup. Aurender need to create Software that should be able to backup in a single click like how we do for iCloud. Thanks Chris for the rest of Aurender users for whom this article will be useful. 

Chris, my music server has no stored files on it. Rather, I use a Synology 1812+ with eight 8TB drives set up with Synology’s proprietary RAID system that will allow 2 of the drives to fail simultaneously and yet preserve all of the data of the bad drives if hot-swapped out. But, this is not really a backup because a failure of the Synology, or fire or flood in our home, would destroy the only copy of the data (about 38Tb now).  How would you back up a NAS with so much data, offsite?  JCR 

5 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

Chris, my music server has no stored files on it. Rather, I use a Synology 1812+ with eight 8TB drives set up with Synology’s proprietary RAID system that will allow 2 of the drives to fail simultaneously and yet preserve all of the data of the bad drives if hot-swapped out. But, this is not really a backup because a failure of the Synology, or fire or flood in our home, would destroy the only copy of the data (about 38Tb now).  How would you back up a NAS with so much data, offsite?  JCR 

This needs to answered in a nuanced way in another article. Many options, many pitfalls, many showstoppers. 

Thanks for sharing.  I like you have almost two decades into a digital library curation starting back with ripped FLACs on an Escient music server that I am sure most have never heard of at this point.  At end of day having a solid backup is most important and this is a reasonable approach.  

My approach is a little different from a philosophy standpoint.  I view my library spread across two Aurenders as a copy not the source of truth.  There are many reasons for this but largely because I do some much editing on computer and often on massive scale with scripts and automation if I want to make some major change to improve the metadata.  I would never want to do these operations on the Aurender itself.  When I am happy, I copy the resultant delta changes over.  This means that my Aurender may change infrequently depending on music acquisition often just a few times in a month.  The other reason I do this as I don't want to do any unnecessary operations on the Aurender including backup of the music files from it since I have them stored elsewhere.  I do archive every 3 months the stars and playlists library from the Aurender which is very small.

I have an external drive representing the on-disk layout I use on the Aurenders connected to my iMac.  This gets backed up on a normal time machine schedule (hourly, weekly, monthly etc.) to a Synology DS918+ with 4 IronWolf 8TB drives and two 512GB SSD NVme cache modules.  This leaves me with a copy direct connected to iMac, versioned backups on an hourly basis, and flexibility to utilize more sophisticated techniques like file system snapshots before a bulk operation for an easy and quick restore.  It's also nice that if mess something up can easily go back just a few hours and grab a file without ever touching Aurender.

Lastly the solution described meets the case for backups but not does not address Disaster Recovery (DR).  I actually think I could reconstruct my personal life quicker than my music library at this point with so many things like contacts, photos, etc. already on cloud.  Accordingly, I backup my music library and other important data not already in cloud weekly to AWS Deep Glacier.  1TB is about $1 a month and Google Cloud and others like Wasabi have similar pricing tiers.  I use a program called ArqBackup mainly because it encrypts the data before transferring it to the cloud with your own local persisted keys.  In the incredibly unfortunate event that the house was destroyed including all the local copies/backups I could restore the library.  (Keys are in a cloud vault I can recover).

I use a program called Chronosync to copy files to the Aurender when I decide I want to update them.  I use it mainly because it is macOS aware and will use APFS snapshots and I can easily prevent things that macOS Finder cares about like .DS_Store files from ever being copied to Aurender.  The Aurender would ignore them so this in some ways is just my own attention to fine detail being satisfied.

Circling back to main point is that backups are critically important and many ways to accomplish them.  I am not in any criticizing the post here just offering another perspective including DR.

I hope the community if nothing else finds this interesting :)  

Cheers,

Carlin Smith

Carlin "Rick" Smith

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This needs to answered in a nuanced way in another article. Many options, many pitfalls, many showstoppers. 

38tb of data needs a lot of respect.  The “standard” 321 backup strategy may not be enough.  

This is one view of the strategy:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/visualized/321-backup-strategy-best-practices-infographic/ 

48 minutes ago, SirAtilla said:

Thanks for sharing.  I like you have almost two decades into a digital library curation starting back with ripped FLACs on an Escient music server that I am sure most have never heard of at this point.  At end of day having a solid backup is most important and this is a reasonable approach.  

My approach is a little different from a philosophy standpoint.  I view my library spread across two Aurenders as a copy not the source of truth.  There are many reasons for this but largely because I do some much editing on computer and often on massive scale with scripts and automation if I want to make some major change to improve the metadata.  I would never want to do these operations on the Aurender itself.  When I am happy, I copy the resultant delta changes over.  This means that my Aurender may change infrequently depending on music acquisition often just a few times in a month.  The other reason I do this as I don't want to do any unnecessary operations on the Aurender including backup of the music files from it since I have them stored elsewhere.  I do archive every 3 months the stars and playlists library from the Aurender which is very small.

I have an external drive representing the on-disk layout I use on the Aurenders connected to my iMac.  This gets backed up on a normal time machine schedule (hourly, weekly, monthly etc.) to a Synology DS918+ with 4 IronWolf 8TB drives and two 512GB SSD NVme cache modules.  This leaves me with a copy direct connected to iMac, versioned backups on an hourly basis, and flexibility to utilize more sophisticated techniques like file system snapshots before a bulk operation for an easy and quick restore.  It's also nice that if mess something up can easily go back just a few hours and grab a file without ever touching Aurender.

Lastly the solution described meets the case for backups but not does not address Disaster Recovery (DR).  I actually think I could reconstruct my personal life quicker than my music library at this point with so many things like contacts, photos, etc. already on cloud.  Accordingly, I backup my music library and other important data not already in cloud weekly to AWS Deep Glacier.  1TB is about $1 a month and Google Cloud and others like Wasabi have similar pricing tiers.  I use a program called ArqBackup mainly because it encrypts the data before transferring it to the cloud with your own local persisted keys.  In the incredibly unfortunate event that the house was destroyed including all the local copies/backups I could restore the library.  (Keys are in a cloud vault I can recover).

I use a program called Chronosync to copy files to the Aurender when I decide I want to update them.  I use it mainly because it is macOS aware and will use APFS snapshots and I can easily prevent things that macOS Finder cares about like .DS_Store files from ever being copied to Aurender.  The Aurender would ignore them so this in some ways is just my own attention to fine detail being satisfied.

Circling back to main point is that backups are critically important and many ways to accomplish them.  I am not in any criticizing the post here just offering another perspective including DR.

I hope the community if nothing else finds this interesting :)  

Cheers,

Carlin Smith

Hi Carlin, I love your approach! Thanks so much for sharing it. You’ve given me some things to think about when crafting my next article about DR, which should address @jrobbins50 issue. 

Wow, the good ole Escient music servers. Thankfully those are long gone. Similar to the early Request servers that couldn’t even rip bit perfect audio. 

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Carlin, I love your approach! Thanks so much for sharing it. You’ve given me some things to think about when crafting my next article about DR, which should address @jrobbins50 issue. 

Wow, the good ole Escient music servers. Thankfully those are long gone. Similar to the early Request servers that couldn’t even rip bit perfect audio. 

walk down memory lane with Escient Fireball, two Sony ES 777 400 disc changers connected to it, Sunfire processor and theatre grand amp, B&W 800 series of the time, Kimber cabling, 18 years ago roughly.  

IMG_0006.jpeg

Carlin "Rick" Smith

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this.

I noticed that some files are skipped. Looking at the log, the reason is "Unsupported file name".  Upon closer examination, it seems that file names with a "?" or ":" are failing synch.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue? 

I am synching from W20SE to TVS-672XT

• 3 months later...