IGNORED

Pareto Audio Listening Experience

bobfa

17 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Where is it you "want to be?"  And do you think that could ever be a fixed point?

I am not sure it is a fixed point but it is a target.  The main goal is simpler.  Less hardware and software.  I like headphone listening so a couple of places around the house where I can do that is nice. It is also helpful when I want to listen and others do not.  

The speaker system has to fit into my listening space.  That is not only size but looks.  It is my living room.  

The sound quality should not annoy me, it should delight me!

I think I have zeroed in on the system design.  I have one more things to round it out.    

Right now in 2021 the RAD-0 headphones, the FIVE17 speakers and the Pareto Audio Server are fixed points.  So is the LYR3 with the HD-6xx cans. Roon software is my keystone for useably.  It has taken me 50 years to get here.  I am not sure that here is fixed.  It is at least better grounded than ever before.

2 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

I know how you feel ;)

So I assume the server sees just the PCIe devices as if they were a "chassis extension," but yet the remote machine is another processor?  I wouldn't expect it would see the entire computer, but only as if it were "chassis extension?"  In other words, everything is running under the same OS?

The little cards I have are just PCiE to USB interfaces.  So there are two USB ports thirty feet away from the server.  From my view in Roon.  I plug a DAC into the USB port and AL/Roon see the device as an attached to the Server DAC.    There have been several mentions of the ADNACO stuff on the forum for years.  I did not understand it until now.  This is a neat trick in our basket of tools.

All,

I have not been paid or offered services to write what I did.  These are my observations on the hardware and services I have received. 

I think it would be cool if @lmitchewould sponsor a forum on  Audiophile Style. 

I have just written another review for the community that will be published soon.  That is not sponsored either. Those of us who write articles here spend a lot of effort. It is more out of love to share than anything else. 

I am digging into a DAC selection process for my systems right now.  I have purchased the gear on my own. I very likely will have over spent in doing this. 

RJF

30 minutes ago, soares said:

Thanks Bob! I understand the point on the cost. On the Adnaco cards. The four port cards are Ethernet? Fiber? And the the option not to include a graphic card for CUDA with HQPlayer was related to jitter? 

I do not use HQ Player so I did not include a graphics card in my machine.

I created a blog entry on the Adnaco system here:  

I do not want to clutter the impressions thread with technical info.