IGNORED

Pareto Audio Listening Experience

bobfa

29 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Over the past several years, I have been designing and building my computing hardware for music playback.  I have followed in the footsteps of several others here on AS;  @The Computer Audiophile, @austinpop, @Nenon , @romaz, @lmitche, to name a few.   I have replaced the power supply in a mac mini using the UpTone Audio kit.  I built up my NUC and Xeon endpoints and servers.  I have also tried many configurations with a single box system, two box systems, and fancy USB cards.  I have fussed over wireless and network switches.   Almost everything I have done has improved the sound quality of the music in my home.  Intermixed with the DIY, I have also tried a few commercial streamers and servers and have not gotten to where I want to be.

Hi Bob,

I'd like to know more about the Adnaco tech.  In the DIY Server thread we've kicked around ideas for remoting without Ethernet.  This looks like one.  Do the devices see the others just as peripherals?

30 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

I know how you feel ;)

30 minutes ago, bobfa said:

The ADNACO extends the PCIE bus out through fiber to a PCIE USB card.  Power that up and plug in your devices.  I have played with it enough to really embrace it.

So I assume the server sees just the PCIe devices as if they were a "chassis extension," but yet the remote PCIe card is connected to another processor?  I wouldn't expect it would see the entire remote computer.

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

The little cards I have are just PCiE to USB interfaces.  So there are two USB ports thirty feet away from the server.  From my view in Roon.  I plug a DAC into the USB port and AL/Roon see the device as an attached to the Server DAC.    There have been several mentions of the ADNACO stuff on the forum for years.  I did not understand it until now.  This is a neat trick in our basket of tools.

What type of enclosure are the remote USB ports in?

EDIT: disregard, I looked at your link again and I see the USB enclosure is part of their package.  Kind of looks like a little FMC with USB out instead of RJ45.  So its a souped-up USB system.  I hadn't heard about this until today.