IGNORED

When Should I Consider Purchasing a Larger Drive

I would say now is the time to look for additional storage space. Depending on how the internal drive is configured of the orbiter you could run into issues with it booting up when it fills up. For example, if the music is stored on the same volume of the OS.

If the music is stored on a different volume then the OS then there isn't really much harm in it filling up short of maybe slower disk access times/speed and not being able to save anymore data to it until space free'd up.

Years ago the recommendation was to not go over 80% (swap file issues?).  My NAS starts sending messages at 85%.  A spinning HD will start grinding and gets very slow when near full.  I have no idea if SSDs have the same limitations.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

There is good reason to keep your eye out with no real pressure to buy.  4TB would be a reasonable low end to purchase.  Or grab a $45 1TB WD Blue at Microcenter and wait out the madness.  Whatever works best for you so long as you avoid basically any 3TB drive.

Do some calculation, including disk formatting loss, of your long term increase in storage requirements.  700mb RBCD PCM compressed into flac is not going to pile up very fast.  DXD or any of the DSD rates will swallow up TB's.       

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking in regards to the SSD I use to house my digital files.  All the files are necessary and will only continue to grow.  My files are lossless so take up much less room than non-compressed files (WAV, AIFF).  I am only currently using 1.2GB of a 2GB SSD so I am good for now but wondered at which point I should make a change to a larger SSD.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
On 10/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, mwheelerk said:

I'm thinking in regards to the SSD I use to house my digital files.  All the files are necessary and will only continue to grow.  My files are lossless so take up much less room than non-compressed files (WAV, AIFF).  I am only currently using 1.2GB of a 2GB SSD so I am good for now but wondered at which point I should make a change to a larger SSD.

I have heard it was 50% of a drive being used is when a bigger one should be sought. I don't know how old that info is however.

No electron left behind.

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 6:21 PM, Michaelb4 said:

I have a Sonicorbiter with an internal hard drive. The drive is 1TB of which 700gb has been used. How full should I run the drive and does something bad happen. If I fill it up?

I run "smartctl" on my drives, and as soon as they start to exhibit errors, in particular when "reallocated_sector_cnt" and "pending_sectors" start to go up then replace the drive with a newer bigger one

Custom room treatments for headphone users.