IGNORED

does blocking the power pin on usb dac improve sound

Mark Labbett

1 hour ago, Mark Labbett said:

so i was wondering if i block the power pin in my usb cable for my minimax dac plus would it theoretically improve the sound?

Windows 10

Provided that the DAC will operate and remain locked without the incoming +5V SMPS from the PC it normally will.

This should be done at the PC end of the USB cable to prevent noise from the +5V in the PC inducing into the D- and D+ data wires in the USB cable.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Uptone USPCB 😀

Of course that would be very worthwhile, but that will cost $$$ to try , whereas a small piece of tape to block the 5V pin of the plug costs nothing

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

replacing the USB 5v out from a computer can help but you will still have voltage noise internal to the computer that can make output

I have an additional front panel USB 2.0 port where I have actually cut the red wire of the internal  cable right next to the internal USB socket as the cable to the front panel is relatively long.  

Incidentally, it's often also possible to replace the internal +5V with a clean low noise supply using a +5V low noise supply , with best results if the +5V is regulated down from something like a 12V  Li Ion battery. In fact, this sounds very little different to what can be achieved using a USB Regen with a low noise PSU . In fact, a USB Regen often ADDS a little HF detail due to the necessary use (space constraints) of small value PSU bypass capacitors internally . This is because the internal PSU has a lower output impedance at >100kHz than the audio band.

IMG_0298 .jpg