IGNORED

Sony MDR-1AM2 with Mac mini - can't hear a difference mp3/Flac

Hello. I have a Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones that have frequency response from 3 to 100000 Hz, I'm using it on Mac mini 2020. 

After some tests, I found that I can't hear a difference between 128/320MP3 and Flac files. I also can't hear a difference between Apple Music, Tidal Master, Spotify, Deezer lossless quality.

I've tried to switch this setting, but it doesn't help (see the attachment). I had a music school background, so I believe that my ears should be able to hear small details of the music. There are some websites on the web that allows you to listen to 3 tracks (128/320 MP3, as well as "original" file) to choose the best blindly, and some people online saying they can guess 100% what is what. In my case, it's about 3/9.

It leads me to think that there is could be some problem with the quality of sound that mac mini produces. What you can suggest to me to improve that? I can buy an external sound card, but I have no idea which one, plus, I don't want to spend much money on that… Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 09.41.55.png

On 2/3/2021 at 10:28 PM, macster said:

Hello. I have a Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones that have frequency response from 3 to 100000 Hz, I'm using it on Mac mini 2020. 

After some tests, I found that I can't hear a difference between 128/320MP3 and Flac files. I also can't hear a difference between Apple Music, Tidal Master, Spotify, Deezer lossless quality.

I've tried to switch this setting, but it doesn't help (see the attachment). I had a music school background, so I believe that my ears should be able to hear small details of the music. There are some websites on the web that allows you to listen to 3 tracks (128/320 MP3, as well as "original" file) to choose the best blindly, and some people online saying they can guess 100% what is what. In my case, it's about 3/9.

It leads me to think that there is could be some problem with the quality of sound that mac mini produces. What you can suggest to me to improve that? I can buy an external sound card, but I have no idea which one, plus, I don't want to spend much money on that… Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 09.41.55.png

Try using Tidal on your smart phone, difference between mp3 and lossless should be clear on well recorded albums like this one:

https://tidal.com/album/82450700