IGNORED

latest ROON update to 1.8

Anyone have thoughts on upgrading to this new version?

I am lifetime subscriber(whatever that means at my age).

The last update was troublesome as they never said anything about having to updating ROON remote on your iPad and iPhone in order to get the 1.7 update to load on my macmini (I was very unhappy and got into trouble with their geeks for my comments which I was eventually forgiven for)  I now have deleted all remotes as I hardly ever use them.

My system is very simple ROON on my mac thats it with ME2 AQDFRed Schiit Yggy GS Rggy 2.

Last few updates didn't have much of a choice, you upgraded or it didn't start. Roon then had the gall to mention in the installer screen that 'you' installed the update on the core, the controllers had to be updated as well.

My daily workhorse has the client software installed,  but since installing bridge on a Mac mini for non critical use and using either Android or iPhone control , I may delete the app on the workhorse and run the bridge instead.

The core sits on another machine entirely, Roon needs distance to the client, since just the metadata gathering interferes with the sound. 

Reluctantly still use Roon as it can switch between devices across the network with ease than Jriver or anything else ever could,  keeping in mind that I'm not the only user in the house.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

They do recommend to update iOS and Android devices BEFORE updating the core, to prevent issues and mismatch. They don't publicize that enough to users, though. There should be a warning along with the update asking permission to install.

At the Roon forum they've hinted that the actual rollout will be gradual, from the 9th to the 11th. So not everyone will get it today. As I'm writing this, people in the far east, which is already well into February 9th, are reporting that the update hasn't happened. I think Roon wants to be sure all their crew in the US and Europe is up and working before the rollout begins....just in case.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

43 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

I have Roon 1.8 up and running (remote app for iOS and Core for Linux server). I am in North America, Eastern time zone.

I am on the East Coast but the IOS app update does not show on my iPhone 11. I went into my desktop Roon app to look at the version and the download started automatically. They did not finish, giving an error. Luckily the 1.7 version still works.

I tried going to the Roon Community Forum but I am getting a 503 error. They must be having a bad day?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

You might have automatic updates turned on, in which case your phone might be waiting until a specific time later today to do updates on its own. That was my situation, and I fixed it as follows:

Open App Store on your iPhone. Open your account by tapping on your user icon in the upper right of the screen. Scroll down to find applications that are awaiting updates.  Look for Roon Remote 1.8 in this list. Either Update All or pick Roon Remote from the list of those awaiting update to force it to update.

3 minutes ago, Peter_T said:

From the Netherlands : 1.8 seems to work fine, BUT : If you click on "Settings" on the IPad remote app, the app (also 1.8) crashes. Music goes on playing. Lot of other members of the Dutch Facebook group "Streaming" have similar remarks.

I just tried that, no crash here.

No electron left behind.

34 minutes ago, Peter_T said:

From the Netherlands : 1.8 seems to work fine, BUT : If you click on "Settings" on the IPad remote app, the app (also 1.8) crashes. Music goes on playing. Lot of other members of the Dutch Facebook group "Streaming" have similar remarks.

Same here, update went well but iPad crashes on Settings.

@ALL OF YOU ABOVE: sort of same thing happened to me with Ver 1.7 in one way or another– I was so pissed at their geek/nerd responses that I got censured. As it turned out THEY FLAILED to CLEARLY state you had to upgrade your remotes first(someone very nicely told me that on OUR august forums) then allow upgrade on main CORE or whatever then upgrade on your PC/MAC etc.

So before yesterday I simply DELETED the remote apps on my iPad and phone so all I had was my CORE on my MacMini. Then I noticed yesterday a BIG warning to update your OTHER devices before upgrading to Ver 1.8 on your computer BUT it just automatically upgraded loaded and installed without any prompting from me.

IT looks beautiful it is functional and  IS the SQ even better?? I could spend hours exploring all the different ways you can search for ‘stuff’-it is truly become a Meridian SOOLOOS system at a minimal cost. NICE JOB ROON ! There are some short comings in NOT showing all ‘stuff’ ie albums videos etc from TIDAL and Qobuz but so what so far for me it is wonderful !! Bobbmd

bobbmd