IGNORED

Article: Major Changes For Roon in Version 1.8

49 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

You’ve changed the content completely and then blame Roon. This quoted comparison is a comparison of your DACs internal upsampling vs HQP’s.  Not Roon vs HQP.

If that were true, don't you think my DAC would so the same to both sources?

Second, I do not like Roon as is, however using the exact same hardware with different software sound better. Geez, it's not a hard concept.

No electron left behind.

11 minutes ago, bbosler said:

not very familiar with Euphony. Are you using a complete Euphony system (hardware + software) or just running it on your computer? Are you comparing Roon and HQP when running it inside of Euphony or some other way?

It looks to me like you can use Roon and HQP inside of Euphony so trying to wrap my head around what is actually going on and how you are using it. All 3 (Euphony, Roon, and HQP) can function as the file player on their own, Roon can use HQP player, Euphony can use Roon and HQP,  so I don't understand how they are all integrated.

looks interesting but also looks like so many options/variables it is hard to do apples to apples or even figure out how it is all configured.. like I said, maybe I'm a little slow

Euphony is just the name for the OS, which is an audio optimized version of Arch Linux. It contains Stylus, Roon server, and HQP embedded which can be used in various ways to playback music. If a person is using it with Roon and HQP it is no different in basic operation than a headless Ubuntu server running Roon and HQP.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I also agree with @ASRMichael that Euphony and HQP sounds far better than Roon and HQP.

. but if Euphony is the OS don't you also need a file player like Roon to use HQP, not just "Euphony and HQP"? Not being argumentative, but with the "various" ways you mention it isn't clear which of the various ways you have determined is the best

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

5 minutes ago, bbosler said:

. but if Euphony is the OS don't you also need a file player like Roon to use HQP, not just "Euphony and HQP"? Not being argumentative, but with the "various" ways you mention it isn't clear which of the various ways you have determined is the best

Euphony has its own player called Stylus if you dont want to use Roon. It can interface with HQP or play by itself. Roon can play by itself, or use HQP or Stylus, and I think you can use HQP embedded all by itself as well if you wanted to.

As for the best way to use it, in my experience using Stylus to playback the files all by itself is the best way to get the best sound.

No electron left behind.

30 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Second, I do not like Roon as is, however using the exact same hardware with different software sound better. Geez, it's not a hard concept.

Quoting myself because I can no longer edit.

I also have three DACs here, 1 of which I know for a fact  does zero upsampling.

No electron left behind.

3 minutes ago, bbosler said:

got it, one more and I'll leave you alone... what computer are you running Euphony on? I don't suppose you have any experience with their hardware?

(sorry, that's 2 questions)

I built my own server mostly following the same build of our own Computer Audiophile that he wrote about on this site as his CAPS build. I have zero experience with their hardware.

edit: I did not build an endpoint, yet... For that I am using either a Raspberry Pi as an NAA, or my Sonore Signature Rendu Optical, also as an NAA.

No electron left behind.

I’ve tried Roon on various servers. From NUC to full blown servers. On everyone of them Roon does not sound as good as other options out there. I love Roon interface, I would be using it if it sounded as good but it doesn’t. Just my opinion. 

I like to think I don’t deal in absolutes. I like many others here have tried various OS’s and sure I’ll continue..It’s one of the few things that doesn’t break the bank to increase SQ. As I’ve said above, if your happy with Roon SQ then great! But you’ll only understand what I’m saying and many others have found by exploring other options. 

Euphony had free 30 days trial. Put onto usb stick & try for yourself. I’m sure your Roon Nucleus will boot Euphony. 

On 2/4/2021 at 3:09 PM, ASRMichael said:

The fact remains Roon sound quality compared to other players like Euphony, HQPlayer

2 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Euphony had free 30 days trial. Put onto usb stick & try for yourself. I’m sure your Roon Nucleus will boot Euphony. 

ok, fair enough... so if I get it.. Euphony is not a player, it is an OS. So how are you playing your files once you boot up Euphony?

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

7 minutes ago, bbosler said:

ok, fair enough... so if I get it.. Euphony is not a player, it is an OS. So how are you playing your files once you boot up Euphony?

Using built in media player on Euphony OS. It’s called Euphony Stylus, clunky media player but sounds great! You can make various tweaks to improve SQ also. Add OS to RAM, Buffer tracks before playing, core isolation. CPU frequency settings, Ethernet settings. 

4 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

But you told us one source is purposely modifying the signal and you like it better than the source that isn’t.  If you want to compare software, compare them both doing absolutely no bit manipulation.

I repeat, you don’t like your DAC as much when not fed upsampling from HQPlayer it has nothing to do with Roon.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

58 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

But you told us one source is purposely modifying the signal and you like it better than the source that isn’t.  If you want to compare software, compare them both doing absolutely no bit manipulation.

I repeat, you don’t like your DAC as much when not fed upsampling from HQPlayer it has nothing to do with Roon.

Ok, let me break this down barney style for you...

If I have a DAC that is so bad that it makes me not like the sound of something because of its upsampling, what is stopping it from doing that same trick of ruining my music no matter what source I plug into it? Does the DAC have a personal vendetta against Roon, so it chooses to ruin only Roon streams? Are you personally offended that someone doesn't like the sound of Roon by itself?

What I said is, that I like the sound of Roon and HQP better than I like the sound of Roon by itself. I also said that I find that to be true no matter how Roon is played back, or how the other sources are, or are not, used. I also said I have 3 different DACs here and I find it to be true among all of them, including one that I know for a fact does zero upsampling.

I am also not alone with this belief. My opinions here are also not an attack on you. You're free to believe and to listen however you want.

No electron left behind.

I preferred HQP upsampling feeding a few DACs I’ve had as well.  I certainly don’t blame roon for that as it’s completely irrelevant as it doesn’t do HQP upsampling.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

A small warning to all Roon users:

If you update the Roon core before the control app is available, you will loose access to the Roon core from that device. 

Danny Dali says:

we will go live everywhere at the same time. this means the core and desktop apps, which we control, will go out at once worldwide.

however, apple app store and google play store will roll out more slowly… some will get it right away, some countries will be delayed a bit (minutes to hours).

if you take a core update before you your app store update is available, you will be Roon-less on that device.

I see the alternative reasoning, but I don’t consider “holding back core updates” a viable option, so it’s not something I would recommend.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

A small warning to all Roon users:

If you update the Roon core before the control app is available, you will loose access to the Roon core from that device. 

Danny Dali says:

we will go live everywhere at the same time. this means the core and desktop apps, which we control, will go out at once worldwide.

however, apple app store and google play store will roll out more slowly… some will get it right away, some countries will be delayed a bit (minutes to hours).

if you take a core update before you your app store update is available, you will be Roon-less on that device.

I see the alternative reasoning, but I don’t consider “holding back core updates” a viable option, so it’s not something I would recommend.

A small edit. 

• Roon 1.7 apps will not work with a 1.8 Roon Core
  • Roon 1.8 apps will not work with a 1.7 Roon Core
  • Roon Bridge devices remain compatible with both 1.7 and 1.8
  • Roon Ready devices remain compatible with both 1.7 and 1.8