IGNORED

Article: Major Changes For Roon in Version 1.8

I currently listen straight from a roon core pc.  I know roon says endpoints sound better.  Should i focus on an endpoint first or should i put HQ player on the roon core.  The endpoint would be in same room as the core anyway, any theories on what would be the bigger improvement?  Thanks, new here so i hope its okay to just ask for advice first post.

I still want a folder view. I put my files in folders for a reason and now they cannot be used as intended (I have 2L folder that I used to play from. Now those tunes can no longer be selected without a lot of work as Roon has scattered them asunder). I didn't ask Roon to make it much harder to find those files.

Why can't I just tell Roon to look for my files in the exact same way Iook for every other file on my PC?

44 minutes ago, johncurley102381 said:

I currently listen straight from a roon core pc.  I know roon says endpoints sound better.  Should i focus on an endpoint first or should i put HQ player on the roon core.  The endpoint would be in same room as the core anyway, any theories on what would be the bigger improvement?  Thanks, new here so i hope its okay to just ask for advice first post.

I don't think anyone else can tell you what will sound better in your setup. Every one is different. You may or may not notice improvement with an endpoint.

You can experiment with HQP in trial mode and see what you think.

Maybe start with a modest endpoint like a Raspberry Pi, a second hand streamer or the new Sonore microRendu - something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. See if you hear improvement. If not, you haven't lost much - especially with the Pi, that is inexpensive and can be reused for another task if you decide it isn't your endpoint.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 2/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, AudioDoctor said:

I hope they have worked on the Discovery some as I find it to be extremely repetitive with the albums it suggests.

I second that, ... they do tend to play the same things over and over.. 

I'm also disappointed in the album/artist information they provide. It all comes from AllMusic which is extremely limited on artists/albums that are less main stream so they have nothing about a  lot of what I listen to.

Concerning sound quality, It can be easily shown that the data delivered from Roon is exactly the same as the data delivered from other music players. I don't dismiss the possibility that the different ways these programs interact with the operating system may affect some aspect of the timing of the data, but I put that on the DAC's inability to handle it. In my experience trying just about every kind of clocker, re-clocker, cable, server, etc. known to man... it's all about the DAC. YMMV.

If Roon sounds different, another possibility is that the digital processing functions of Roon have been inadvertently turned on. If you click on the volume control icon (little speaker lower right corner) in Roon and select DSP it will show you what if anything is enabled.

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

36 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I'm also disappointed in the album/artist information they provide. It all comes from AllMusic which is extremely limited on artists/albums that are less main stream so they have nothing about a  lot of what I listen to.

Concerning sound quality, It can be easily shown that the data delivered from Roon is exactly the same as the data delivered from other music players. I don't dismiss the possibility that the different ways these programs interact with the operating system may affect some aspect of the timing of the data, but I put that on the DAC's inability to handle it. In my experience trying just about every kind of clocker, re-clocker, cable, server, etc. known to man... it's all about the DAC. YMMV.

If Roon sounds different, another possibility is that the digital processing functions of Roon have been inadvertently turned on. If you click on the volume control icon (little speaker lower right corner) in Roon and select DSP it will show you what if anything is enabled.

Not sure & many others here would agree. I know many here that use Chord Dave DAC, I myself TAD DAC. High end DACs. Doesn’t make any difference how good your DAC is. The fact remains Roon sound quality compared to other players like Euphony, HQPlayer to be inferior! & now TAS (from initial reports)

Taiko has designed its own software because of the variable sound quality from Roon’s updates. 

I”ll leave at that! If happy with Roon SQ then you’re happy. That’s great. Enjoy! 

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

Well... What DAC do you suggest? Besides the Yggy I also have a Lampizator Pacific which has a built in Roon bridge, and HQPlayer to an NAA to the USB input still sounds better than Roon direct.

No electron left behind.

6 hours ago, mfsoa said:

I still want a folder view. I put my files in folders for a reason and now they cannot be used as intended (I have 2L folder that I used to play from. Now those tunes can no longer be selected without a lot of work as Roon has scattered them asunder). I didn't ask Roon to make it much harder to find those files.

Why can't I just tell Roon to look for my files in the exact same way Iook for every other file on my PC?

The trick is bookmarks 

27 minutes ago, johncurley102381 said:

sorry, i saw multiple people talking about roon sound quality, thought it would be okay to ask those people a question.  Won't be back

Please don’t be afraid to start a tread. Many will help you. 
Your subject is very interesting to discuss. 
(It may been discussed elsewhere). 

18 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes, but I didn't say different, I said better. I don't find Roon by itself to sound very good. I find it acceptable on its own when running on Euphony OS, but then using it with HQPlayer still sounds better.

Maybe I'm a little slow.. I understand you prefer Roon with HQPlayer enabled, what I'm not sure on is if you are processing with HQP or just passing the data through it. Curious what settings you use that cause you to hear an improvement. I also use HQP with Roon upsampling to maximum power of 2 with Poly-sinc filters. I slightly prefer the sinc-M filters but the processing delays cause songs to be cut off when using Roon radio,

Also curious if this result would be the same no matter what front end you were using for HQP. In other words, is HQP making up for some inherent issue with Roon, or is it that you just like what HQP is doing no matter what comes before.

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

Maybe I'm a little slow.. I understand you prefer Roon with HQPlayer enabled, what I'm not sure on is if you are processing with HQP or just passing the data through it. Curious what settings you use that cause you to hear an improvement. I also use HQP with Roon upsampling to maximum power of 2 with Poly-sinc filters. I slightly prefer the sinc-M filters but the processing delays cause songs to be cut off when using Roon radio,

Also curious if this result would be the same no matter what front end you were using for HQP. In other words, is HQP making up for some inherent issue with Roon, or is it that you just like what HQP is doing no matter what comes before.

Of course I am upsampling with HQP. I am also using its volume control. IMO HQP is much cleaner sounding, less dark and muddy, than Roon is on its own. I also agree with @ASRMichael that Euphony and HQP sounds far better than Roon and HQP. I use Sinc-L and either NS9, NS5, or LNS15 depending on DAC and what I am upsampling. I find Roon radio plays just fine for me, internet radio works just fine.

No electron left behind.

23 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Of course I am upsampling with HQP. I am also using its volume control. IMO HQP is much cleaner sounding, less dark and muddy, than Roon is on its own.

You’ve changed the content completely and then blame Roon. This quoted comparison is a comparison of your DACs internal upsampling vs HQP’s.  Not Roon vs HQP.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Euphony / HQP sounds far better than Roon / HQP

not very familiar with Euphony. Are you using a complete Euphony system (hardware + software) or just running it on your computer? Are you comparing Roon and HQP when running it inside of Euphony or some other way?

It looks to me like you can use Roon and HQP inside of Euphony so trying to wrap my head around what is actually going on and how you are using it. All 3 (Euphony, Roon, and HQP) can function as the file player on their own, Roon can use HQP player, Euphony can use Roon and HQP,  so I don't understand how they are all integrated.

looks interesting but also looks like so many options/variables it is hard to do apples to apples or even figure out how it is all configured.. like I said, maybe I'm a little slow