IGNORED

Technics ST-C700 Network Player/Streamer

I just got a Lampizator Big 7 DAC and have been running Qobuz straight from my MacBook Pro into it or using an iFi Micro USB 3.0 between my MacBook and the USB input of the DAC. I was thinking about buying a dedicated streamer like the Bluesound Node 2i on the low side or a Lumin U1 Mini on the high side. I don't listen to music files; my listening is confined to exclusively streaming through Qobuz. Then I forgot that a few years ago, someone gave me a Techincs ST-C700 streamer in a trade. It has some pretty interesting features, including virtual batter, etc.:

https://www.technics.com/us/products/c700/st-c700.html

I just pulled the Technics out of the closet and am going from my MacBook into the PC input, and then out via coax into the Lampi. Since I'm Apple-centric at home, the player also provides the option of going straight from an iPhone or iPad into a USB-A port. I'm then going from the digital out via coaxial into the DAC. So far it sounds pretty good, but I haven't done any real critical listening or comparing it to going straight from the MacBook into the DAC.

I was wondering if you had any thoughts about this setup vs. going direct into the DAC from the PC? Or a second question - would I hear an appreciable difference going with one of the more current streamers like the BlueSound or Lumin U1 than the Technics?

Thanks for your thoughts.

1 hour ago, RDSChicago said:

I just pulled the Technics out of the closet and am going from my MacBook into the PC input, and then out via coax into the Lampi.

This just uses the Technics as a (rather bloated) USB audio to coax converter between your computer & the DAC!

1 hour ago, RDSChicago said:

Since I'm Apple-centric at home, the player also provides the option of going straight from an iPhone or iPad into a USB-A port. I'm then going from the digital out via coaxial into the DAC.

The USB-A port is the Technics's USB storage input, so is only for using the Technics to play the audio files stored on the iPhone or iPad.

What has any of this to do with using the Technics for its main purpose, ie, as a network audio file player aka streamer and specifically for the purpose of network playing the Qobuz online music service's audio file tracks?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

21 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

This just uses the Technics as a (rather bloated) USB audio to coax converter between your computer & the DAC!

The USB-A port is the Technics's USB storage input, so is only for using the Technics to play the audio files stored on the iPhone or iPad.

What has any of this to do with using the Technics for its main purpose, ie, as a network audio file player aka streamer and specifically for the purpose of network playing the Qobuz online music service's audio file tracks?

That’s exactly the question I’m asking. Will Qobuz sound better going through Technics or straight from MacBook going into USB?

40 minutes ago, RDSChicago said:

Will Qobuz sound better going through Technics or straight from MacBook going into USB?

What, going through the Technics as a USB audio to coax converter you mean?

Isn't that also a question of whether your specific DAC's USB input sounds better than its coax input?

Unfortunately, I've no experience of either device so can't really help you. Well, apart from saying the obvious - your own ears will tell you which method sounds better!

If you are really only interested in using the Technics as a USB audio to coax converter between your computer and DAC (so not actually as a network audio file player / streamer), then you might get a better response posting your questions in the DAC section, rather than in this (Networking, Networked audio & Streaming) section.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox